Author Topic: Sedgley Hall, Staffordshire..help needed please!  (Read 12712 times)

Offline littlemisstidy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sedgley Hall, Staffordshire..help needed please!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 July 09 19:54 BST (UK) »
Many, many thanks for your reply.  I am very interested in any information you could pass on to me.  I have walked around Sedgley Hall Farm Park and tried to ascertain where the house was from a sketch in the book 'The Ancient Manor of Sedgley'.  Its location seem to be next to a large pond.
Regards
Lynette

Offline govclerk

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 04 August 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
Just found this & have family link to Sedgley Hall Farm so quite keen to track "MickandAnn" who left a post they had photos etc of the property. I have sale catalogue from 1930 but would like earlier stuff or more detailed info of the later years before the Farmhouse was demolished.

Also any Jevons family researchers out there - keen to have family occupation confirmed and xchange info to bring the story up to date!

Offline ChrissyH

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 12 October 12 21:16 BST (UK) »
I have spent hours and hours searching the internet for information about Sedgley Hall, which was the home of our ancestors, the Jevon family in the 1600s. I am not having much luck! I've been told that the hall was demolished in the 1960s, to build a housing estate, which goes by the same name... is that right? I would love to find a picture or photograph of the hall, but again, can't find one anywhere.
Any information or ideas would be great. Thanks for reading this.

Hi, I know it has been a few years since you posted the message about Sedgley Hall but I have only just seen it!
I moved into number 6, Caswell Road, Sedgley Hall Estate, Sedgley with my parents and sisters in around 1960 when I was about 5 years old. The houses were then brand new and the gardens mud! Right behind the house was Sedgley Hall. It was either derelict, or almost derelict at this point. It was a large wide house with lots of windows and I remember my mother saying it had been made into apartments. Whether anybody still lived there at this time I have no idea but I doubt it. I seem to remember curtains flapping at broken window panes. Sedgley Hall Estate was built on the gardens of the hall and as children we used to climb through the post and wire fencing to play in what was left of the gardens. The hall we remember as a creepy place! I am not certain when demolition took place, but I remember going to Cotwall End School and there was at that time a footpath which passed by the side of the hall through the grounds and connected to Gospel End Road. I would say nearer to the end of the 1960`s. If you go along Caswell Road now it stretches right over to the Gospel End Road and I can remember the houses from Westridge right up to Gospel End Road being built. When we first lived there Caswell Road was a cul-de-sac and there were only 12 houses so it really opened up the road when the Hall went and all the new houses went up. The Hall stood right where Westridge is now, that road is a cul de sac and I should think the hall would have taken most of the space, it was a big place. I could be wrong about the size though, I was a child and things always look bigger as a child don`t they?! I am sorry I don`t think I have any photographs anywhere, though if I do come across any I will let you know. I hope this is all of interest to you and if I can think of anything more I will certainly tell you. All the best with your searching. Chris.

Offline SteffiW

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 14:09 GMT (UK) »
My dad and his family used to live at sedgley hall. The last family who farmed there (Wooldridge) i would very much like to see the phots mickandann have as my dad was only 6 when he left and therefore cant remember much.

Offline dionysus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 06 March 14 08:23 GMT (UK) »
I've only just seen this, too.  The Ordnance Survey 1st Series Sheet 62, 1834, shows Sedgley Hall Farm about 500 metres west of Sedgley centre - http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/maps/results.jsp?xCenter=3162500&yCenter=3175000&scale=63360&mapLayer=nineteenth&subLayer=first_edition&title=Ordnance - you may have to scroll to find the Sedgley area.

Upton, Bishops Wood, Staffordshire.  Jones, Nant-yr-Ych, Aberhafesp, Montgomeryshire.  Evans, Kinnerley, Flintshire.  Dennis, Breedon-on-the-Hill, Leicestershire.  Brown, Red Lake, Wellington, Shropshire.

Offline Dawn101

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 February 19 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Years later....  this was just posted to a clised face book group for Sedgley folk. Many years ago, post cards were popular and one has surfaced

This website isnt too good though. I cant upload the photo and there are spam ads everywhere