Author Topic: Scattered Home  (Read 3751 times)

Offline derryphilip

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Scattered Home
« on: Monday 24 January 05 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Dear all

Can anyone help me with this one please, I have just received a letter from the archives that states the children where discharged and then transfered to the Scattered home, Board request.  What does this mean and what would a Scattered Home is.

Thank you Vanessa
Derry/ Dury/Deary Louth/ Spalding/ Norfolk also Yelland isle of wight

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scattered Home
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 05 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vanessa,

I know Camberwell isn't in Lincolnshire, but I found this reference to a Scattered Home Scheme at Camberwell Workhouse
on http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/surrey/camberwell_workhouse.htm

Although it doesn't explain exactly what the scheme is, maybe it will help to form a general idea. To me it sounds like an attempt to provide a "home" or "homely" environment within a workhouse or orphange structure.

Maybe the report mentioned is also available on-line.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 January 05 11:56 GMT (UK) »
ps:

just been on the main site: http://www.institutions.org.uk/ and enterd "scattered home" in the search engine.

there are 12 hits, including the Camberwell one above and one for Edmonton, where I found this sentence:

In addition, 48 children are under the care of foster-mothers at Fortescue Villas, Enfield, 60 boarded out in Scattered Homes, and 59 boarded out beyond the Union with foster parents.

So it does seem as if the authorities are trying to create better environments for the children in their care.
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline derryphilip

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 January 05 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Berlin Bob

Thank you for that i will look and see if it leads anywhere, this one get more and more complicated all the time.

Vanessa ???
Derry/ Dury/Deary Louth/ Spalding/ Norfolk also Yelland isle of wight

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 January 05 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Vanessa,

let us know what you find out; this is the first time I've heard this term, and now I am curious, too !

Good luck !
Bob