Author Topic: Irish Horsemen of Armagh  (Read 2912 times)

Offline mongrel-diaries

• RootsChat Extra
  • mongrels seeking genetic origins of programs
    • View Profile
Irish Horsemen of Armagh
« on: Thursday 17 July 08 08:20 BST (UK) »
I was delivered some large  collections of photographs and archival material from my mother's grandparents family, Robert Arthur Scott , 1839-1920, and Anna Cree, 1852-1934, of Belfast area and 10 sons and daughters.  The material covers from Belfast about 1900 to the 1930's and Western and Northern Canada and the  First World War.
They entered the Port of New York about the turn of the century, then to Canada, built a large home in Niagara Falls. Part of the family homesteaded in Alberta, bringing horse breeding stock. They also purchased a dairy and fruit farm in Fonthill, Ontario, where Robert passed in 1920.
 I have a large collection of their gentleman cowboy adventures in the Drumheller, Alberta  area, the horses, the roundups, the breaking in, the gathering for the horses to be sold to the First World War Cavalry and so on.
A captive story of gentleman cowboys, farmers, engineers and calvarymen, and soldiers that essentially disappeared by the mid thirties...
I was a young mongrel farm boy listening to their early efforts at ranching in the west and the disastrous machine that fractured their dream..the First World War. I appear to be the last refuge for the stories of a family with few threads left here. I'm still looking here.

I suspect that there are Scotts in the Belfast region that would be from their original families and I would be thrilled to hear from you and to share some of this archive.

As I expect this will require some meticulous efforts, the winter snows will likely unfold before I have a lot of time to sort and scan all the photos..and construct the necessary website to load all this for public sharing..but i can share selective bits and lay some groundwork for folks to share in and around the busyness of paying the rent and looking for a farm to start our retirement career.

I have done some cursory research on the original horse breeding side of the family going back to 1753. I have a lot of names and dates and places...My mother, now 89, is the last she says of seven generations of horse people. They lost all that with the first world war, the plagues and epidemics and the Depression and the fragmentation of the new postwar reality.
respectfully....colonial son..
My email is no longer working
Scott, Cree, Stoddart, Bunston, Drummond

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Horsemen of Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 08 21:07 BST (UK) »
could this be their marriage.

ROBERT SCOTT TO AGNES ANNIE CREE 17-12-1870 @ DROMORE SECOND PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH,DROMORE, BANBRIDGE, DOWN, IRELAND.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline mongrel-diaries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 08 22:57 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Mary..it certainly could be..I have an 1870 date for their marriage..still looking for the dates of the births of their 11 children but I believe most of that is buried in these boxes of papers..

Apparently they lived on the family property of "4 parcels of land" purchased by the family originally in 1753..Robert purchased another three parcels of land adjacent to that not long after they were married.

thankyou again..
Ron
mongrel diarist

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 08 23:01 BST (UK) »
IGI- Robert Arthur Scott born 25 Sept.1879 Rathfryland, Down, Ireland (mother- Ann)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline mongrel-diaries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 18 July 08 02:01 BST (UK) »
umm..maybe a bit of a Luddite but I'm not clear what "IGI" stands for..
at any rate the Robert Arthur I am working with was 1839..he was married, had kids and a large hunk of real estate by 1879..and he also might have been off in India doing the Queen's bidding about that time as he was a military chap as well..
regards..Ron,  the mongrel diarist

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 18 July 08 10:11 BST (UK) »
IGI = International Genealogical Index part of LDS site www.familysearch.org
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 18 July 08 14:32 BST (UK) »
found two sons.

JAMES ALEXANDER 29-10-1871. WALTER 3-3-1874. BOTH BORN DROMORE, DOWN.

PARENTS. ROBERT SCOTT & ANNIE CREE.

regards mary.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 18 July 08 15:04 BST (UK) »
aghadowey was giving his sons birth.

ROBERT ARTHUR SCOTT. 25-9-1879. RATHFRYLAND,DOWN.

PARENTS. ROBERT SCOTT & ANN CREE.

regards mary.
doolin?
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline mongrel-diaries

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 19 July 08 07:24 BST (UK) »
second effort to say thanks to all you marvellous folks..lost 1st detailed note..too late in the day and brain tired.
 intrigued by Robert Arthur born 1879..I have no listing of this one..but will certainly follow that up..thanx for the tip.

Robert had "7 parcels of land"..  purchased second block, three parcels, 4 had come down thro the family from 1753..where they raised horses for the British Cavalry..Howard's stories from childhood memory were that it was close to the sea .. Roman ruins nearby..the clues from the notes folks here have sent will help to locate that old homestead..

10 of the family, a "maid, Miss Maitland moved to Canada turn of the century with Robert Arthur and Annie Cree Scott, .. and photos..from  list of 11 children born in Ulster. extracted from  hearsay and handwritten notes

Fred : engineer..settled in Niagara Falls:  head of Carborundum only son killed in WWII

James R : engineer Westinghouse, son history and english prof.

Alfred H  : no children..(engineer, Chile, Argentina, on railway construction across Andes, 1920's)

Howard H : no children,(seated right side of photo
horse drawn artillery at Pashendale and Vimy): Dr of Chiropractic Med. New Liskeard, Ontario

George Calvin: no children..third from left in photo (Lord Strathcona Light Horse Calvary) Horseman, taught trick riding to early forms of the Mounted Police in Western Canada

Walter  :     (died in the Niagara Schoellkopf Hydro plant project)                 

Edwin   :     (also died in the Schoelkopf plant project

Earnest Ainsley : 4 daughters, 1 still living, 1st on the left of photo.. ( grandfather); architect-engineer approx. 1911 to 1918..hotels for the Cdn Pacific Railway)

Arthur :    2nd from left of photo.. Colonel, Lincoln and Welland Regt's ..1st WW, reputedly standing with Dr. Mcrae of Flanders Fields fame when they were gassed..died young..1930's)

Gertrude  : ( died in Ireland from a schoolmaster's blow at age 11)

Jean : the girl in the photo settled in Niagara Falls..married a Lawyer, Queens Counsel, two children now in late 80's

Interesting lot of stories and I expect to explore further.
Here's a photo of George Calvin Scott of Belfast area.. in alberta 1920's on his horse "ranch"..a lot of cabins in the middle of a prairie..