Author Topic: Kilrea - Richard McCotter  (Read 17708 times)

Offline BruceCC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilrea - Richard McCotter
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 05:30 GMT (UK) »
>> James Church and Nancy McCotter had 4 children per 1900 census:-
Elizabeth E Church b Feb 1883
Mary Burnett Church b 8 Jun 1885
Carrie Church b 8 Dec 1889
Warren G Church b Jan 1891 <<

Carrie Church was my great aunt (I met her in the 1950s), and Warren G. (George) Church was my grandfather. He died in 1963.

I have a photo of the Church family -- all of the girls and Thomas -- (taken in Ireland) standing in front of some sort of stone wall or fence.

Offline BruceCC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 06:23 GMT (UK) »
Some of the Church girls who immigrated to Farmersville lived into their late 90s with one living (I believe) to 103. I met them when I was in my teens. I will post more details about the "Farmersville group" when I get them.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. I've sent akanex an email so he'll probably be posting here soon. I live not far from The Grove and have information of the Church family also but he'll have more details and I'm sure will be in touch.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline akanex2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bruce/cousin

Got Aghadowey's message about your posting and would be very happy to share details about our family.  In the last couple of months I have also been in touch with another cousin (more closely related to your branch of the family than mine) living in Canada.  I will send you a PM so we can exchange more details.

AK2

Offline BruceCC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 23 January 11 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I just noticed that on my first post (BruceCC), I incorrectly said: "Nannie McCotter was my great great aunt."

What I meant so say was that she was my "great grandmother." Sorry for any confusion.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 23 January 11 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I came across an 'early' McCotter reference in Lislea, Kilrea going back to 18th century:

Marshall family (Ballycrum & Terrydremond), from family letters printed in Irish Family Links 1.9 page 23

Nancy McCotter of Lislea, Kilrea daughter of Richard McCotter and Jane Wilson married Ezekial Marshall.

Ezekial Marshall & Nancy McCotter had issue James Marshall born 1768 Terrydremond, Balteagh. James Marshall married Jane Peebles b. 1778 Brickfield, Claudy etc.

Offline Cat_Kilrea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 May 11 22:30 BST (UK) »
Just saw this thread seems to have been revived a few months ago :)

BruceCC - great to hear from a descendant of one of the 12 McCotter sisters - would love to hear any details you have to share about your great-grandmother and the other grils. Have a few bits and pieces of info but not much. We have the same photo of the Richard and Margaret McCotter and their 13 living children (fyi - it's taken at the old family home in Kilrea - house is still lived in today), it seems there are a lot of copies of this photo around the world today :). My Dad and I have always been interested in tracing what happened to all the sisters (the only surviving son - Thomas James, is my Dad's Grandfather) so would love to hear from you.

Gortinanima - thanks for that! The family tree as I know it goes back to a Thomas James McCotter (born c 1750-1770). Perhaps te Richard McCotter of your post was his Grandfather? The repetition of the Christian names Richard and Nancy suggest a possibility. Can I ask where you saw the book you referenced?
McCotter -  Adams - Shaw (Kilrea, Co. Derry)
Gilpin - Magennis - Abraham (Knocknamuckley / Seagoe, Co.Armagh)
Chambers - Walker (Belfast / Newtownards)
Gillespie - McCullagh (Portadown, Co. Armagh)