Author Topic: Joseph Cragg/Craige : Bongate  (Read 4879 times)

Offline ruthy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Cragg/Craige : Bongate
« on: Thursday 17 July 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

If anyone happens to be going to the record office I am looking for the birth/baptism of a Joseph Cragg / Craig / Craige / Craggs.  His name was down as "Craige" on his marriage to a Mary Watson in Stanhope Durham. His first child was Nancy Craig. On the record it has her as first daughter of Joseph Craig, miner, native of Bongate, Appleby, Westmoreland. His other children had the surname Craig except for one who had Cragg

On the first Census their name becomes Crags, and from then on Craggs.

He was born in the 1780s according to his age at death. I would be interested to hear of any entries with the mentioned surnames.  I have seen one of a Joseph Richd Cragg son of Sarah on the IGI for 1787, but would be interested to see if there are any others.

Many thanks

Ruthy

Offline Shadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • mam & me
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Cragg/Craige : Bongate
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 08 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for my gtgtgrandmother Mary Craggs b.1845 at Appleby, Westmoreland.  Is she one of your Craggs?

Regards Susan
Names: Boggon, Beardsley, Coulthard, Thomas, Tate, Smart, Stark, Ridley, Hudson, Hardy, Lloyd, Curry, Fairclough, Thompson, Allen, Simon, Jones, Hunter.
Areas: Durham, Northumberland, Staffs, Shropshire, Lancashire, Scotland,Wales, Ireland

Offline ruthy1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Thank you for your reply.

I don't have any knowledge as yet of my "Craggs" (Cragg / Craig) in Westmoreland.  As the header of my post shows, the surname was interpreted in different ways early on. My earliest ancestor to date (Joseph) was born in Bongate in the 1780's & married in Stanhope, Durham, and from there on future generations were Durham based and called "Craggs". It is interesting to know that there were Craggs in Bongate. He could possibly be related to your Mary Craggs through earlier generations in Bongate.  I live a long way from the records office, and have not been able to research this aspect yet so do let me know if you manage to trace back and discover a Joseph born in the 1780's.

Fingers crossed

Ruthy

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 18:30 BST (UK) »
According to my book of Directories " Appleby at Work" there was a Joseph Craig farmer at Holme Farm  from 1829 - 53.  I assume this is him:
1851 HO107 2439 135 40
The Holme Bongate
Joseph Craig 57 widr Farmer 76 acres b Murton
Esther Craig Mother wid 77 b Hilton
Sarah dau 26
Mary dau 20
Margaret Idle g dau 11 all b Bongate
plus 2 servants
He is there in 1841 too.
Joseph 46
Sarah 47
Sarah 16
Esther 14
Mary 9

Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 18:48 BST (UK) »
Ruthy
Where does your Joseph say he was born on the 1851 census?  Native of Bongate might only mean he had lived there recently rather than was born there.  Can you quote a census record for us so that I know I am looking at the right family.  There do seem to be rather a lot of them!  I am also a bit concerned that the details on the IGI for this couple are member submitted so not reliable.  I assume you have seen the original register? Oh yes, you must have done to see the native of Bongate bit.  I thought I had found them in 1851 but am now fairly certain that I was looking at the Joseph who married Mary Musgrave in 1810.  They also had a daughter Ann (Nancy is a pet name for Ann) in 1814.
Susan - I am not doing well with your Mary either.  Cannot find her in 1851.  Do you have that?? Or any other census record?
Andrea

Offline Shadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • mam & me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
I know very little about my Mary.  She was born in Appleby in 1845.  She married William Coulthard in the late 1860's.  The 1881 census shows the family living at Fatfield, Durham. I have been researching her for years but as i know so little about her it makes her harder to find.
Thanks for trying anyway.

Regards Susan
Names: Boggon, Beardsley, Coulthard, Thomas, Tate, Smart, Stark, Ridley, Hudson, Hardy, Lloyd, Curry, Fairclough, Thompson, Allen, Simon, Jones, Hunter.
Areas: Durham, Northumberland, Staffs, Shropshire, Lancashire, Scotland,Wales, Ireland

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Susan
How do you know her name was Craggs?  Do you have a child's birth certificate?  If so there is a marriage for William Coulthard to Mary Ann Craggs Jan/Mar 1865 Chester le Street 10a 495   However there is also a marriage for William Coulthard to either Mary Ann Hunter or Mary Jane Shanks Oct/Dec 1868 Chester le Street 10a 529   It would be very easy to muddle the two couples.    Worth looking into.
The eldest child on the 1871 census (RG10 4992 20 34) is aged 2 so unless some died the earlier marriage is a little odd that they did not have children sooner.  Mary's birth place then is Westmorland NK - not very helpful but she does give Appleby again in 1891. 
Andrea

Offline Shadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • mam & me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
You could be right. I havn't come across the second marriage but since the eldest child i have found was born 1869 i could have the marriage wrong. I will look into this.

Thanks very much.
Susan

Offline Shadows

• RootsChat Extra
  • mam & me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Andrea,
Had a quick look but couldn't find a Mary Ann Hunter 's birth in Appleby in 1845.  Def not a Mary Jane.  It is unusal to wait 4 y to have a child but it is poss that children born previous to Andrew died. I couldn't find tha marriage of William Coulthard & Mary Ann Hunter in 1868.  I will keep an open mind.

Thanks Andrea
Susan