Author Topic: Onslow Court Hotel COMPLETED  (Read 19454 times)

Offline scouse_mouse_2000uk

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandparent's Lewis
    • View Profile
Onslow Court Hotel COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 17 July 08 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hiya peeps, wonder if someone could help me out? I have my grandfather's death certificate, his sister was the informant and she puts her address down as the Onslow Court Hotel. When I have looked on the net, all I get is the acid bath murder. Is this Hotel still in existence and why would she be living there? If anyone can help me out I would be happy. The death occurred in 1963. Thanx for reading, Lynn x
I am researching the following names.....Owen/s-Holyhead, Rimmer/Lewis-West Derby, Wood/s/Hayter-Toxteth

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Onslow Court Hotel
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 July 08 19:29 BST (UK) »
It looks as if this is now Jurys Kensington Hotel in Queens Gate, London.
You might try contacting them.

People did live permanently in hotels like the Onslow Court.
Or perhaps she was staying there temporarily to sort out her brother's estate, if she was from out of town.
Or perhaps she was working there?

HTH
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandparent's Lewis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 July 08 20:44 BST (UK) »
Hiya, thanx for that info. She definitely lived there, the address is on another family member's certificate. Can't think which one, but it was a marriage certificate. I will look their number up and see what I can find out. Thanx again, Lynn x
I am researching the following names.....Owen/s-Holyhead, Rimmer/Lewis-West Derby, Wood/s/Hayter-Toxteth

Offline chasbaz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 July 08 21:48 BST (UK) »
Think Jury's took it over 8-10 years ago.  They may not have the records of the Onslow, but hopefully know where they are deposited. The Kensington and Chelsea Archives may be able to help, especially with the hotel being so, er, notorious.
Bazalgette, but mainly not FH information.
Has written a biography of Jean Louis Bazalgette - "Prinny's Taylor"

• RootsChat Senior
  • G Grandparent's Lewis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 July 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hiya, I gave them a call earlier, spoke to a couple of foreign people who didn't know what I was talking about lol. I will call them in the morning and see what I can find out. London is quite a distance from Liverpool, so I will have to do things via the net or the phone. Thanx for your help, Lynn x

Offline Walker48

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Onslow Court Hotel
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 June 13 00:43 BST (UK) »
scouse_mouse_2000uk. You were asking about this hotel some time back. (Thursday 17 July 08) I lived there for two years on and off in the early 80's. When I moved in it was owned by a tea total family and it was dry. I think they were Salvation Army. There were a lot of elderly single people staying there on a long term basis. It was a bit like an old peoples home. They were still reasonably well off but had seen better days and were often quite demanding and thought they deserved personal service. Several were foreign nationals from South America and talked about their English and Scottish ancestors and the life they used to live. I'd been there about six months when all the long term residents were moved out to a sister hotel in Bromton Road. I came back about three months later to find the place had been sold and now had a drinks licence. It was a bit faded when I was there but had seen better times and must had been quite plush in its day.

Offline Joyaa1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Onslow Court Hotel COMPLETED
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 July 13 10:59 BST (UK) »
Interesting thread to pick up on - thanks for the info!   I have just traced three antecedents - MYERS brothers - who lived and died here - between 1942 and 1964.   This makes much more sense after reading the thread.

Offline Harry L

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 04 August 13 21:52 BST (UK) »
I worked at OCH for some time and it was a wonderful place for the elderly guests who were mostly
retired  from places in the Empire. They were not made to feel poor and many of them were titled and probably quite rich. Every Christmas roles were reversed and the guests served the staff(I did not attend).
The hotels were owned by North Hotels,a Quaker family concern, who will probably have the records that you want. I hope this helps.
Harry L.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 August 13 22:29 BST (UK) »
The Onslow Court Hotel had a reasonable proportion of its elderly guests with Last Wills and Testaments.

The London Gazette has 10 pages of mainly people living there with wills and using the Hotel as their last address. One page for 1963 deaths. Click on "See PDF" for all 8 items for that year.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/1963-01-01;1963-12-31/exact=Onslow+Court+Hotel/start=1