Author Topic: Two Marriages? 1923-1955  (Read 7164 times)

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Two Marriages? 1923-1955
« on: Saturday 19 July 08 15:40 BST (UK) »
Please help, this side of my family has been really well covered up and was kept from me for a long time.

I am looking for the marriage of Edith E (previously unofficially Wrenn up to 1920s, Penfold from 1916 and previously Buxton from birth) who having married a Mr Jennings, died in Dec Quarter 1956:

Edith E Jennings  72  Croydon 5g p88 on 18/12/1956 in Mayday Hospital.

When was her marriage - it was in London I think as Mr Jennings was a Londoner.  They married PROBABLY between 1930-1950.

I don't know his first name, but if you could find the death of a Mr Jennings who died between 1954 and 1960 in Croydon or Wandsworth it might help in your search as this is when he died I think.  I think his name was Albert/Alfred.

I have the death certificate, she died in Mayday hospital and Edith's daughter registered it. 

As Edith had children from a Mr Wrenn (but did not marry him as he stayed married to a different woman), there are four surnames she went by in her life - I wouldn't be surprised to find a fifth! e.g.

Marriages Mar 1925   
Penfold  Edith E  Barclay  Brentford  3a 239

Did an Edith E  Barclay marry a Jennings??  or is there another marriage for an Edith E Penfold anyone can find after 1923.
any answers?
Chris

Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Two Marriages? 1923-1955
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 July 08 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

It's not very clear from your post as to what was her birth surname or what her middle name was - just shown as Edith E.

If she was born in 1884 as her age at death suggests, she could have first married anytime from 1902 when spouses names were not shown alongside entries.

You would need to know her first husbands name for cross checking purposes

Have you had a look on freebmd although the later periods involved are unlikely to be covered

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

The type of search you are asking for could be complicated and lengthy so you need to search the full GRO index yourself which is available at your nearest main library if you live in the UK.  It can also be searched online if you have an Ancestry subscription or at www.findmypast.com which is a paysite

I think you will find there are a great many "Mr Jennings" deaths between 1954-1960
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 July 08 16:04 BST (UK) »

Edith E Jennings  72  Croydon 5g p88 on 18/12/1956 in Mayday Hospital.

I don't know his first name, but if you could find the death of a Mr Jennings who died between 1954 and 1960 in Croydon or Wandsworth it might help in your search as this is when he died I think.

I have the death certificate, she died in Mayday hospital and Edith's daughter registered it. 

Chris

Chris let me get this straight,Edith died in Dec 1956- wife of Mr Jennings?

Doens't her death cert say 'wife' of xxx Jennings- or widow of...?

That would narrow down the date of his death of course.  ;)

I am inclined to agree with Carole that there will be just far too many Jennings's over 6 years to pinpoint the right one.Even narrowing it to Wandsworth or Croydon districts.

Carol

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 July 08 16:13 BST (UK) »

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 July 08 17:33 BST (UK) »
Chris

I have just trawled through all the marriages from 1925- 1956 and cannot see one for an Edith Wrenn to anybody called Jennings.

Is it possible that she met or married him abroad?

In which case it won't show on the England and Wales GRO indexes.

And of course there's always the possibility that she didn't marry him at all but just became known as Mrs Jennings if they lived together?
Maybe the person registering her death didn't know that for sure?

I've asked a moderator to merge the two threads you have going on this Jennings chap,to avoid someone else doing the same look ups.

Regards

Carol

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 July 08 21:30 BST (UK) »
The library tip is the best reply yet, I'll go and have a look for Jennings deaths to narrow down a marriage search under that name.  I have looked through the GRO under the name Edith Wrenn in the library but have not found anythingm perhaps she married in another name.  I don't know the husband's name but the death certificate does not show if she was still married as her daughter registered it.     
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 July 08 15:33 BST (UK) »
Chris,

Is there absolutely NOTHING entered in the occupation column of Ediths death cert?
This is from the website giving some very useful info about BMD certs.

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/deaths.htm#COL8

"For a wife or widow - her occupation was considered to be being married to her husband! So there will not be any reference to her paid employment (and a vast number of women did work) but it will say wife (or widow) of .............(husbands name) ...........(his occupation) ."

Carol

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 July 08 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi

So how many of her marriages do you actually have certs for?
And do ANY give her full name?

I cant find any of them just quickly, though have not searched much.

She was having children with as Wrenn in 1920 &1923 according to freeBMD.

So - born Buxton in 1884 ish
married ?Penfold? in ??
married ?Wrenn in ??
married ?Jennings in??(that is the one that I know you dont have as you have asked for it)

Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 July 08 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, The two children who were born 1920  & 1923, are shown on the index twice. Once with the surname Wrenn and also with the surname Penfold, both show mother as Buxton and both set of entries have the the ref.numbers?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk