Author Topic: Two Marriages? 1923-1955  (Read 7161 times)

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Two Marriages? 1923-1955
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 July 08 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, Edith Buxton married William Penfold Sept qtr 1902 Maidenhead ref 2c932

Could Wrenn have been an also known as. Both children registered as both names. It would be interesting to know what it says on their birth certificates?

Did William Penfold leave a will?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 25 July 08 09:28 BST (UK) »
Yes after searching 1900-1920 at the FRC I found a William Penford marrying Edith Annie Buxton from St Pancras, who was born many years before (does not tie up with her death certificate) - I think the Edward Penfold marriage to Edith Penfold shown in June 1916 is it, as it is south london .  The children's birth certificates say Penfold formerly Buxton as the mother's name.   What she was known after 1923 and before marrying again is puzzling (Wren(n) or Penfold or Buxton), but definitely still Edith.    Their father is named, Edwin Wrenn and his occupation, but he was definitely married til his death to another woman (i have met his other children) 
Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 July 08 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Why were the children registered with the name Wrenn. I have never known anybody registered twice with different names but same reference number. I think I would contact the registrar general when in 1920 she should still have been a PENFOLD?

This query could just give you the answers you are looking for?

Has anybody else ever heard of this?

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 July 08 09:55 BST (UK) »
Could it be that the dad's surname was Wrenn,but legally mum was still a Penfold? They registered them in his name as that was the one the kids would be known as?

Could it be that 1st hubby was missing in WW1 and so she wasn't free to marry till 7 years had lapsed(that happened to a friend of mine's grandma-in the meantime she had 3 kids with her new man,while she waited for the 7 years to be able to marry again  8))

I'm still trying to work out why she would be Edith Penfold and marrying someone called Edward Penfold,when we haven't found her marrying anyone as Edith Buxton yet have we?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 July 08 11:18 BST (UK) »
I think the Edward Penfold Marriage to Edith Penfold shown in June 1916 is her as the location is correct.  

and:
I'm still trying to work out why she would be Edith Penfold and marrying someone called Edward Penfold,when we haven't found her marrying anyone as Edith Buxton yet have we? - quote form Carol, but I am not clever enough to work out how to put two quotes in one message!

I think we need some marriage certs before going any further, like the one mentioned for example - it all seems to be based on speculation at present. Or start with what is known for absolute definite - is it the Wrenn children that are definitely rellies? (seems so, if one of them registered the Mrs Jennings death) If so, start with a birth cert from one of them, or contacting registrar as Jen suggests. See what that gives about their mother, and work just one step at a time from there.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 25 July 08 12:15 BST (UK) »
,when we haven't found her marrying anyone as Edith Buxton yet have we?
Carol

Just re-read post and see Jen found marraige - see 10th post from the top - William Penfold in 1902.

but she was having Wrenn/Penfold children in 1920/23 - hmm 20 yrs later when about 40
I would guess that Mr P was not their Dad, but a Mr Wrenn was. Her name was Penfold still, so she registered them as Penfolds - but Mr W accepted paternity and they were re registered as Wrenns.

so when/if she later married Jennings (1923-1956) she would have married as Penfold.

So when Carol trawled through marriages looking for a Wrenn/Jenning marriage (5th post in this thread) and found none - we really needed a Penfold/Jennings marriage.

If you are off to the library, Chris, (6th post) then I think (only think!!) that this is what you should be looking for.

hold on!! Having just typed all this I see from chris's last post that he HAS the birth certs - under Penfold at least....
So - what does that give for the fathers?

Ahhhh I am confused now... why has the 1902 marriage been rejected? have you actually got that cert, Chris?
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 July 08 13:41 BST (UK) »
The 1902 marriage is rejected because on the 1901 census that Edith Buxton is living near Maidenhead with her future husband Penford and her middle initial is A not E.   She is also the wrong age. 

I have done a thorough look through for Wrenn-Jennings and Penfold-Jennings Marriages and only one volume, Sep. in 1946 was missing.  However, I think there is another marriage, that's why i've put two marriages....   See marriage found below

Chambers of Newmarket/E. Camb.s, Wrenn, Elphick & Culpep(p)er of E. Suss., Buxton of Essex, Tucker of Appledore, Dobbs of Bideford, Morgan of Laugharne, Cordell of Hertfordshire, Gooch & Rix & Tuthill & maybe de Bohun of S. Norfolk etc ;-) Small, Acome, Johnson Bavin, Catlin, Sansom, Pitkin of W. Herts/Bucks, Churchman of Ned. then Hamps/Berks, Gayler of Shoreditch, Barnes of Chertsey/Staines, Goldsmith of Westm/Sussex, Lock of Limpsfield, Found & Gowman of Morwenstow

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 July 08 15:17 BST (UK) »
The 1902 marriage is rejected because on the 1901 census that Edith Penfold is living in maidenhead with her future husband and her middle initial is A not E.   She is also the wrong age. 

Which Edith is in Maidenhead in 1901- under what surname,and what reference number?

I hope you realise that death certificates aren't always 100% correct.The info is only as good as the person giving to to the registrar,because the person who knows the truth is the one who has just died. Ages can notoriously be a year or two(or more) wrong. So try to be a bit flexible and expect her to have been born around 1884 and not exactly IN 1884.

If you had the birth cert of one of those 1920 or 1923 Wrenn children ,it may tell you all you need to know. ;D

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adam_in_SW_Middx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 27 July 08 10:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol, the Edith I'd like to reject was in Pangbourne, Berkshire:

Edith  Buxton 30 London St Pancras Berkshire Pangbourne Entire Drapers Assistant
William  Penford 20 Berks Maidenhead Berkshire Pangbourne Entire Waterman

Marriages Sep 1902 

Buxton  Edith    Maidenhead  2c 932   
Harris  Florence Mabel     Maidenhead  2c 932   
Penford  William     Maidenhead  2c 932   
Reed  John Henry H     Maidenhead  2c 932

The Edith with the correct b-day who lived the rest of her life in Eltham then Battersea then Croydon and on whose children's birth certificates says "Edith Evelyn" "Penfold, formerley Buxton" was:
1901 - RG13/ 463 Folio: 15; Page: 21 - Clapham
13, Brayburne Ave
Edward Buxton 50 Head Clerk / Civil Servant Kent, Greenwich
Emma Buxton 49 Wife Suffolk, Hasketon
Claude E Buxton 26 son Traveller (Fancy Box Trade) Brixton
Edith Buxton 17 dau Clapham
Walter Buxton 15 son Warehouseman Lace Trade Clapham
Elsie M Buxton 13 dau Clapham
Percy W Buxton 12 son do
Hilda Buxton 6 dau do

As she was "formerly Buxton" she married probably in 1916 or 1903:
Marriages Jun 1916
Penfold  Edith  Penfold  Wandsworth  1d 1421   
Coulston  Margaret  Muddle  Wandsworth  1d 1421   
Muddle  Henry  Coulston  Wandsworth  1d 1421   
Penfold  Edward  Penfold  Wandsworth  1d 1421
Marriages Jun 1903 
King  Fanny    Wandsworth  1d 1132   
Moon  Thomas     Wandsworth  1d 1132   
Penfold  Edith     Wandsworth  1d 1132   
Penfold  Henry     Wandsworth  1d 1132

There is no marriage of a Mr Penfold to an Edith (Evelyn) Buxton in the FRC, I've done a thorough search there.