Author Topic: Coal Mine Accident = Machen, Monmouthshire  (Read 8003 times)

Offline april betty

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coal Mine Accident = Machen, Monmouthshire
« on: Sunday 20 July 08 00:02 BST (UK) »
I a trying to find out about a mining accident, which happened on 13 April, 1864, at Machen, Monmouthshire, Wales.    Benjamin Hammond was killed in a 'fall of stones'  on his death certificate, nothing else.

Any newspaper reports?, Family? Information?
Any help would be appreciated.    thanks.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Coal Mine Accident = Machen, Monmouthshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 July 08 01:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have you seen this site?

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/Photo.htm

I noticed that a colliery was abandoned in 1864. I wonder if there was a connection?

Glen

Offline april betty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 July 08 02:09 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply.  I have quickly looked at the website page, but they only list 5 or more people that die in disasters.  He is described 'parish of Machen', in his death cert. but he could have worked at any mine in the area, I suppose.

I appreciate your help.  Thanks.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 July 08 08:32 BST (UK) »

http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/home/

Mining Accidents - Benjamin Hammond
Name: HAMMOND Benjamin
Date: 13/03/1864
Year: 1864
Colliery: Black Vein
Owner: TW Rhodes
Town: Risca
County: Monmouth
Notes: Heavy fall of stone from roof.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline april betty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 July 08 21:56 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Stan,  and thanks too, for that site, it looks fascinating.   His death cert. said he was 50, not 30 tho.  Any info on his family, or where I could find out?
As my grand-father's family were miners, this site could be of very great interest.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 July 08 16:55 BST (UK) »
Hi ,
I think it is worth investigating the  info that Stan has given you - it may or may not be him.
 The reason why I am saying this is because my grandmother's brother was in  explosion  in the mine in Bedwas in 1952  - he is transcribed as being only 26 on this site http://www.dmm.org.uk

He is in the list here http://www.dmm2.org.uk/uknames/names_qu.htm - Harry Quarman - I know for 100% fact he had just turned 60.

I can tell you what happened to him  he suffered extreme burns to his body - it totally  wrecked his face. I know this as  I have photographs of him soon after with  some of he injured miners from that explosion meeting the Mayor  which my dad kept , my dad knew his uncle well

Never rely on transcriptions for ages.
I really think it's worth checking  anything out either to dismiss it or verify it

Kind regards :)
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline april betty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 July 08 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cell for your info.  I appreciated your comments.    Benjamin is proving so elusive.   One day he will wish to be found.

I see from the little writing at the bottom of your note the words Oystermouth/Mumbles/Carmarthen.  Area I used to spend my school holidays at, with my cousins.  Longlong ago.....

Offline tonyjukes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 September 08 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hello
AprilBetty. He was employed at the Risca Blackvein colliery, which was just in Machen parish as it was on the west side of the Ebbw River. The colliery had just reopened after the 1861 explosion which killed about 140 men and boys. John Russell gave up his interests in the colliery company, which had been bankrupted by the explosion and damages awarded to Sir Charles Morgan  for trespass. Rhodes took over the pit. Hammond may have been living in the colliery houses near the old pit - locally called the Rookery and inhabited until about 1950. Large parts of the 1861 census records for that part of Lower Machen are missing. Risca Industrial History Museum may be able to help you - visit their website at riscamuseum.org.uk.

Cell. As chairman of the Bedwas and Trethomas Local History Group I would like a copy of your photo of the miners injured in the 1952 explosion. I have a copy of the official report. We are working on our local history book volume 2. Contact locally or via above.

Offline The Geneal Geologist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 September 08 13:00 BST (UK) »
April Betty - When looking for Welsh coalminers, who have names that are not obviously Welsh, I would suggest searching Bristol area records. Many miners left the exhausted pits in and around Kingswood, Bristol in the C19th and went to join the new coal in South Wales (as was the case for a number of my Bristol mining families). I am assuming HAMMOND could be of English origin.

Good luck.

Mark