Author Topic: Can you read what this Debys town is called...  (Read 17567 times)

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can you read what this Debys town is called...
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia

Yes I have the whole census page if that is what you mean although I have cropped it to put in my book where it is also minimised, the number is:
1841 Census HO107/1141/12 ~ Elizabeth Frost Seller of Milk

1851 Census HO107/2058 ~ Elizabeth is living with her son John (this is the census that I can't decipher where Elizabeth was from.

I am very grateful for your help Sylvia.
It is my husbands birthday today so we are out shortly for the rest of the day.
I will check in as soon as I can.

Best regards
Shirley
P.s.  I need to send them separately they are too large, please bear with me.
ps.s. Sorry even one is too large can I send them to your email if you let me have it within a P.M.
My research interests are as follows:
TROW, Jane Elizabeth,(nee Evans) died 1864 in Dorrington, Condover
TROW Jane, Kerry, Montgomeryshire abt 1777 GARDINER Edward, Shropshire, abt 1764
TUDOR Martha, Kerry, Montg abt 1762
JONES Richard, Llangedwin, Debighshire 1794
UNKNOWN Anne, Shrewsbury? Shropshire abt 1794
STALEY James, Lydbury North, Shrops abt 1772
CORNS Margaret, Lydbury North, Shrops 1769
MILLS Joseph, Golon, Llanbister, Radnorshire
CORFIELD John, St Chads, Shrews 1773

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 16:29 BST (UK) »
Hello Shirley, Hope your ready for easter. and Both OK in health.

Many people use the census at face value and never go futher than the original sheet of names. Only if you don't know!* if you use ancestry.co.uk to access the census. at the top of the page is Enumerations with sub districts number and the census recorders account of his streets covered  street by street on his patch or area covered. Thus your original post one of the district of S-----    :D on the main  original census will be repeated & maybe more clear and streets as well.   ;D

Just click on the top flow liniar row -Emuneration-District 1- too X ?) you'll see Just click on every thing at the top of the page if unsure.

If your not in ancestry.co.uk Join for one month about £ 12 then unsubscibe.  next month.   but should answer!!**         'Simples' as the Meerkat on TV

Best regards :)

Dave

Ps off to the Pub for old Thos's old stories.* hate being serious*
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 16:45 BST (UK) »
Plus Try this in these places surgested of place of birth to compared with other similar places. Look through other names to see if S..... repeats in other peoples birth place.

Meaning look at this census recorders hand writting and get to know it.~~~~ cover many names and  pages
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Dobby

Yes that is a very useful tip, unfortunately, this Census was taken in 1851 and in Birmingham and I think the Census Taker may not have known how to spell the district in Derbyshire and Elizabeth more than likely illiterate so not able to help him with the spelling.

I will look back at the other Census' written by this Taker though.

Many thanks
Shirley
TROW Jane, Kerry, Montgomeryshire abt 1777 GARDINER Edward, Shropshire, abt 1764

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
Shirles:  I'm rapidly losing track of this  ::)  However, I'm going into Lichfield Archives tomorrow and I'm going to have a look at the Smisby BTs - the more I look at your extract the more I'm sure that it's Smisby - but  ::).  Remind me of the name and timing of your original post and I'll have a look to see what I can find.

BumbleB
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley,

I'li Check Matlock Derbyshire records offices out for these names of S---- villages surgested! the object is to find which village has this family name in its records - Ie Census 1841/51c S---- and Bapt/Marriage/Buriels and national buriels if the family S----. Also BMD nonconformist website and Hugh Wallis IGI lds. to see if a pattern emerges. Long shots sometimes pay off.

I have some work on my own CUTTS family at Matlock Archives office

Burials in Findmypast may show a pattern on its own by surname only search as free info give location. I'll be in York next week and their WILLS may show family surnames to locations if they got that far south.

Other posters my find as well.

All for now

Dob

Offline Shirles

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 08 April 09 22:19 BST (UK) »
Hello Bumblebee and Dobby

My original posting was to ask if anyone can decipher what this town in Derbyshire would be.  Comparing the rest of the 1851 census handwriting it looks as if the first letter is an 'S'.  (Please see Page 1 of this posting).

This is the place that Elizabeth maiden name unknown was from, she married John Frost, they had a son John Frost in Arley, Warwickshire in 1807.

Greatly appreciate that you may do look ups when you are at the Archives Bumblebee and any help either of you can give is very helpful, thankyou.

Best regards
Shirley

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 09 April 09 00:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirley

Sorry I thought you Knew Elizabeth Frost  maiden name.
I am a little puzzled as her age at death 81  in 51c and death 1855 age 90 =  she'd 84 in 1855 by census a 6 year difference not that unusual!!, What  does concern me his her age in relation to her being the mother in 1807 -1810. putting her 1807 = 37 -43 & 1810= 40- 46 meaning a tale end of a larger family putting a marriage 1785 -1806/7 or 2nd marriage or even 3rd ~a big time span.

Have you considered she could be the granny of John Frost b 1807.

all possible.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 09 April 09 02:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Shirely

This fits

There is no Elizabeth Frost for Leic's/Staffs/Warwickshire but about 5 in Derbyshire  birth year 1771 -1841 census

Could be early marriage large gaps spread of sibling or many and though young it still fits the normal 20 ish wedding age  rather than a marriage 1805ish in later life (34)years at marriage .!  This below is aged 16 1787 marriage thus would need a fathers pemission and maybe licence bond marriage with ages on and fathers signiture.

John Frost married Elizabeth Marsh
 in Bolsover Derbyshire 7th June 1787

Elizabeth Marsh Bapt Smalley Derbyshire 6th may 1771 fits as census age 81 in 1851c

Father Thomas Mother Dorothy

MY mother came from Bolsover and her Granddad from Warwickshire, Workers came up from there to find work in the mines of Derbyshire. Thus either  John or Elizabeth families may have originated from Nunheaton area.

STRONG POSS

:) Dobby