Author Topic: Lilley family  (Read 3310 times)

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Lilley family
« on: Monday 24 January 05 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
looking for any reference to the LILLEY family
Martin Lilley b abt 1830 Enniskillen married a Susannah from Devon he was a traveler lived in Co Durham
thanks
Audrey

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Lilley family
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 May 05 02:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey,

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/index.cfm
Irish Ancestors Surname Search shows very few families by the name of Lilley in Ireland during the years 1848 - 64.

This chap of yours seems to have done some travelling already.
He's here in Co. Cavan when he should be a few miles back up the road in Co. Fermanagh.
Little wonder these guys are so hard to trace. They're never where you expect to find them.

Best Wishes,  Christopher

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lilley family
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 May 05 07:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey,

http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/index.cfm
Irish Ancestors Surname Search shows very few families by the name of Lilley in Ireland during the years 1848 - 64.

This chap of yours seems to have done some travelling already.
He's here in Co. Cavan when he should be a few miles back up the road in Co. Fermanagh.
Little wonder these guys are so hard to trace. They're never where you expect to find them.

Best Wishes,  Christopher

Hi Christopher
I have three families from Ireland and believe me its a night mare
take Lilley for instance
Martin Lilley born in Enniskillen he had 9 children all born in a different place on top of that the name is spelt  LILLEY.LILLIE & LILEY all in the same family
I also have a  James RAFFERTY also from Ireland thats my maternal great grandfather he was a RC haven't even started on him yet the McKnight's are my Important ones as this is my dads  family and it was for him I started all this he would of been a 100 years old this year .I think my problem is my McKnight's were a  poor working class family  as were the Sewells  worked hard all their lives but had nothing buried in unmarked graves  no wills
I also think  that Williams father David McKnight although a farmer was not a land owner  I also feel that William left Ireland alone maybe by this time his father was dead I know David was dead when William married in 1869 .I don't find research easy and I find Ireland very confusing  and I am most grateful for any suggestions  from anybody  It all helps
audrey