Author Topic: 1841/1851 help please - MASON of PIMILICO  (Read 11336 times)

Offline dumspirospero

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 help please - MASON of PIMILICO
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 23 September 08 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, The monck masons & Masons were ancesters of mine and I have an extensive family tree and documentation. JAmes does not appear however Thomas was a notable georgian figure. and can be traced back to the Mason's of MAsonbrook and further back
Where is you particular interest

Offline dumspirospero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
New to this website and can,t seem to reply direct to you

Thomas Monck Mason had three sons, Thomas, William & Robert plus two daughters.  He has a connection with Hanover Square as he was married there and the dates would suggest Anna might be one of those daughters.  Thomas was the notable balloonist, flautist, operatic producer, joint founder of the Garrick Club etc etc etc . Anna would be my gt gt gt aunt (?) if this is correct

Offline alveleyhistorian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 September 08 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
New to this website and can,t seem to reply direct to you

Thomas Monck Mason had three sons, Thomas, William & Robert plus two daughters.  He has a connection with Hanover Square as he was married there and the dates would suggest Anna might be one of those daughters.  Thomas was the notable balloonist, flautist, operatic producer, joint founder of the Garrick Club etc etc etc . Anna would be my gt gt gt aunt (?) if this is correct

Brilliant - will send a personal message
 :) :)

Offline TWC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 August 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Dear ALVELEYHISTORIAN,

This is my first foray into Rootschat.

My grandmother was Catherine Mason of Ballymacelligott, Co. Kerry, Ireland and I am researching her family.

As far as I can determine, the Masons came to Ireland in the early 1600s and were descended from Sir John Mason of Sion, Middlesex (not to be confused with Sir John Mason of Abingdon, the diplomat and spy).  I have a number of sources for that.

The earliest Masons I have found were Christopher, Henry and Castilian, who were granted rights over certain ports in the south east of Ireland, around, 1622.  Christopher settled in Waterford and married a woman from York in 1627.  Her name was Margaret but I am unable to decipher her surname - it may be 'Wright' but the handwriting is unclear.

By 1645, Margaret was a widow and was living in the City of Waterford.

One of Christopher and Margaret's descendants was John Mason who appears to have had a firm grip on political life in Waterford, was an MP and was knighted in the early 1700s.  He also seems to have been very upright - at his own expense, he upheld the will of Bishop Hugh Gore against false claimants and ensured that the Bishop's estate was used for the benefit of widows and others.  A witness to the Bishop's will was a Michael Mason, presumably a connection of John's.  A Mrs. Michael Mason established the Blue Coat School in Waterford and the Mason arms were displayed over the door of the school.

Sir John died around 1710 and was interred in St. John's Church in Waterford.  Unfortunately, that church no longer exists and I have yet to discover where the remains now are.  His daughter and her child, a twin, also were interred there.

Sir John appears to have been very successful in business and had considerable assets.  His grandson, Aland John Mason married into the Villiers family of Dromana, Cappoquin, County Waterford.  The family, through various marriages, became the Mason Villiers and then the Villiers Stuarts.  Conventionally, the family should have been the Mason Stuarts but the Masons were deemed to be less distinguished than the Villiers and, so, got airbrushed out of that family's history - notwithstanding that Aland John restored their fortunes and cleared their debts!!!

The family seems to have branched out from Waterford.  One branch, who were confirmed arms in 1711, settled in Masonbrook, Loughrea, County Galway.  That family became the Monck Masons when one of them married Sarah Monck of St. Stephen's Green, Dublin in the early 1700s.  (That they were related to the Waterford Masons is undoubted as I have seen a will dated 1714 which confirms that.)  The Monck Mason family later moved to Enniskerry, County Wicklow.  The family home still exists in Enniskerry as does the family grave.  One of them was a member of the Irish Privy Council around 1800.  In the 1800s, they were distinguished academics and scientists- I understand one of them was famous balloonist.  The family also is mentioned in 'A Genealogical and Heraldic History of The Commoners of Great Britain and Ireland' by John Burke in Volume IV Pages 354 and 355, 1838.

The Mason family connection with Wicklow pre-dates the Monck Masons - and may well have been their reason for moving there: Castilian Mason was granted lands in Wicklow in 1628 and, in 1641, Robert Mason wrote from Wicklow to the English Parliament giving an account of the war in Ireland - a copy of the letter is held in the National Library of Ireland.

The earliest I have been able to trace the County Kerry family is to 1704, when a son (John or James) of James Mason of Ballymacelligott married Avis McLaughlin of Ballydowney, County Kerry.

DUMSPIROSPERO if you read this, I would be greatly interested to know whether your research/documentation shows any connection between the Waterford and/or Masonbrook family and the County Kerry Masons.

Regards,
TWC

Offline TWC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 August 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Dear DUMSPIROSPERO,

I have replied to ALVELEYHISTORIAN today (re Mason of PIMLICO) - my first time on Rootschat.

My grandmother was Catherine Mason of Ballymacelligott, County Kerry, Ireland and I am researching her family.

I have established an undoubted link, in 1710, between the Masons of Waterford and those of Masonbrook.  I believe the Kerry family were also of the same descent.  Can you tell me, please, whether any of your research/documentation shows a connection between the Waterford/Masonbrook families and that of Kerry.  (While I have information on the Waterford family back to the 1600s, my earliest record for those in Kerry is 1704 when a son of James Mason of Ballymacelligott married Avis McLaughlin of Ballydowney, County Kerry.)

Best regards,
TWC

Offline TWC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 August 09 20:47 BST (UK) »
Dear ALVELEYHISTORIAN,

PS:  I have a (poor) copy of the Burke entry, which I obtained from the National Library of Ireland, and which I could mail to you if that were not to breach any Rootschat rules.

Regards,
TWC

Offline dumspirospero

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 10 August 09 22:02 BST (UK) »
Dear ALVELEYHISTORIAN  & TWC

Its good to hear of some possible ancestry before Robert of Masonbrook.  I know that Robert had two brothers, John (1695-1718) and Christopher (?) and also possibly Nicholas, Edward & Joane. Their father was Christopher also and he was, I understand a Captain in the Navy. My information is that Capt Christopher (or his father Sackville MAson) came from West Worldham in Hampshire.
Robert of MAsonbrook married Sarah monck and that is where the 'monck mason' came from. The family Monck were a significant family from England, an ancestor of whom was The Duke of Albemarle who gained fame during the Civil War ( he was a royalist!). There are couple of incidents of the Masons marrying their cousins in the monck family

He also had a son John (Rt Hon John M M )who was an MP for Blesssington, CO Wicklow and Privvy Councillor and it was he who lived at Mason brook. He married Catherine Mitchell

My information prior to Robert is rather sketchy as this reseach was done by my late grandmother and before the age of the web so I'm not entirley sure of some of the sources. After Robert I have a bit more detail of my direct line.  I really must  go to Ireland and do some research..... :-\

Offline TWC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
DUMSPIROSPERO,

Great to hear from you.  (My mail yesterday to ALEVELYHISTORIAN was done from memory; I updated the mail a few moments ago to make it more accurate.)

Do you know of any connection between the Masonbrook and Kerry families?

I have a (poor) copy of a partial family tree (starts 1627) and goes on for a few generations, which I got from the Genealogical Office in Dublin - I have requested access to the original but they are very slow to respond.  I also have, from the same source, a copy of the confirmation of arms from 1711.  I also have a transcript of the 1714 will of Robert Mason of Masonbrook. You are welcome to copies of those.

I stopped my research into the Waterford and Masonbrook families around 1740, as I knew the Masons were well established in Kerry by then.  However, I understand that the National Archives in Dublin have a Masonbrook archive.

I understand from the London Archive that the Parish records for Sion (i.e. for All Saints, Isleworth) are held in Hounslow.  As I live in Ireland, it is difficult for me to access those; however, if yourself or ALEVELYHISTORIAN were able to do that I would be very interested in hearing the results, in particular, who were the children of Sir John of Sion. 

Best regards,
TWC

Offline clonbyrn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 February 12 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Great to find so much inspiring information through you all.
I am chasing my 3rd. gt-grandfather Rev. Abraham Mason who married Isabel Wall. The family is Irish- or Anglo-Irish- but always thought of themselves as Irish.
He was born about 1775 and she was c. 1780. I can't find anything more about her yet. Rev. Abraham studied at Oxford as well as in Dublin (TCD) and is referred to as 'Gent., of Dublin..and of St. Anne's (C of I) Church, Dublin.'
His eldest son, Rev. Thomas Wall Mason was a prize-winner at TCD in 1820; and inside the book there is a bookplate with a double-headed lion on a shield, surmounted by the mermaid crest; and with a motto underneath reading 'Gloria Deo in Profundis'. Thomas Wall Mason also graduated from Oxford, as did his brothers Abraham II, Jacob and Joseph.
We have in the family a heavy gold signet ring with the mermaid crest on an onyx. Sadly the old stone got lost; but I remember it had an engraved buckled belt as part of the decoration, with the inscription Dum Spiro Spero.
All this seems to be leading me towards the Masons of Masonbrook, but I can't find an Abraham anywhere in various d/b's. Who were his parents?

Can anyone suggest a new line to pursue?
Your help much appreciated.
clonbyrn