Author Topic: 1841/1851 help please - MASON of PIMILICO  (Read 11340 times)

Offline TWC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1841/1851 help please - MASON of PIMILICO
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Clonbryn,

There are pedigrees for Monck-Mason in Betham Volume 18 (GO Ms 240) and in Donavan Go Ms 384 in the manuscripts section of the National Library, Dublin.  If you send me your email address (*), I will send you copies.  A word of warning - I have not uploaded the pictures yet, so I do not know what the quality will be when I do!!!

Before Robert of Masonbrook:

His father was Christopher.  Christopher, Castilian and Henry Mason were given rights over the ports of Waterford, Dungarvan and Youghall in the 1620s.  Christopher married Margaret Master or Masters in 1627.  She was daughter of Jonathan Master(s).  According to the records, he (Jonathan) was from York or from The Grange, Co. Waterford:  it is possible that he was from both, i.e. that he owned property in both places or, like the Masons, that he moved from England to Ireland.

Christopher and Margaret were the ancestors of the Waterford and Masonbrook families - my interest is in the Kerry family and, while they have common descent with Christopher, I have not established yet what that is.

Christopher and the Kerry branch were descended from, or close relatives of, Sir John Mason of Sion, Middlesex - not to be confused with the Elizabethan diplomat of the same name.  Sir John of Sion's wife, through her mother, was descended from the Touchet/Lord Audley family.

Regards,
Billy
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline clonbyrn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 22 February 12 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Billy, for your quick reply. It would be wonderful to trace this ancestor if possible.

I've made a list of the Masons descended from John of Sion referred to by all the contributors on these boards, and I have been getting little bits of information through histories of counties in Ireland too. It takes hours....

Looking forward to more bits of the jigsaw.

Regards
clonbyrn

Offline pauline1956

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 03 July 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi not sure if this is of any help to you but I have a letter here that came in a box of letters I bought from an auction that is written by William Monck Mason.  It is dated 1850 and comes from Weybridge.  Not sure what the house is called, looks like Kilsington House. :)

Offline sakdolan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Deo fidelis et regi
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 25 January 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

For those interested, in the last couple of years Christies sold a portrait of Robert Mason and his wife Sara Monck (by Offaly-born art artist Charles Jervas). Sites like that can be great for piecing jigsaw’s together. Anyway, Robert Mason had been an agent for Colonel John Browne of Westport (1640-1711, a Jacobite) and at the start of the eighteenth century he purchased substantial tracts of lands to the east of the town of Loughrea which had formed part of the estate of Thomas Burke until them. I am unclear as to why they didn’t stick around Loughrea (surely it’s nicer than Wicklow!) but the wider area on the Tynagh road is now referred to as Masonbrook.

For those interested, this link is a map and picture of Masonbrook House posted by our society:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=587168654710423&set=p.587168654710423&type=1&theater
And this is the link from the page at Christies detailing the item sale (like I say, its worth digging around for whatever areas you're researching):
http://m.christies.com/sale/lot/sale/8012/lot/5457206/search_query/Galway/search_page/1/search_id/182b8a2a-4fde-434f-a956-3120fc766ddc/?KSID=dc862787c89338d691877394d0e05bbc

Best regards,
S.

Offline Swanbrook1

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 01 May 14 20:52 BST (UK) »
Clonbryn

I have some information on the Masons you are enquiring about.  Their father was Abraham Mason, a wealthy Ironmonger in Dublin who has an Ironmongery in Clarendon Street and then Dawson Street in Dublin (St Anne's Church referenced in the Oxford Alumni directory you refer is on Dawson Street).  He married a "Catherine" Wall and they had (at least) 5 sons - one of whom Isaac died aged 12 in 1823 and is buried in Donnybrook graveyard with Abraham, who died in 1826.  I can send some attachments (paper clippings etc) if this helps - let me know

Offline Angela1953

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 07 November 23 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Pauline,
I think William Monck Mason who wrote the letter you have is the father of Thomas Monck Mason 1803-1889  from whom I am descended. They were living together in a modest cottage in Weybridge at this time.
I’d be very interested to read the letter, if you’re happy to share it.
Happy to pass on any information I have to those interested too.