Author Topic: Elizabeth Ingram  (Read 3781 times)

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Elizabeth Ingram
« on: Tuesday 22 July 08 10:10 BST (UK) »
Looking for a birth/baptism date for an Elizabeth INGRAM. In 1799 her son John Thompson was born in Witton, CHESHIRE. The names of her parents were recorded at his baptism as Thomas & Elizabeth Ingram of Kendall.
Elizabeth Ingram married John Thompson at the Cathedral Church of Manchester 30 AUG 1795, he was a non-conformist.
Hoping that someone will recognise this Ingram family and will be able to tell me something about them.

odessa(Cheshire)
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Ingram
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 July 08 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry, no info about Elizabeth - just a brief observation.

There is a marriage for Thomas Ingram & Elizabeth Sandwick on 11 Dec 1763 at Sedbergh, which I'm sure you will have already noticed.

As Sedbergh is only 10 miles from Kendal, it may be worth trying to find any offspring of this couple, if you have not already done so.

Did Thomas leave a will?

Good luck

Chris

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 July 08 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the marriage details , it has distinct possibilities. I've now come up with an estimated d.o.b. from the burial registers of St Helen's, Witton.
Elizabeth widow of HenryThompson of Witton, joiner, parents unkown, died 05 FEB 1837 buried 07 FEB 1837, south side, died of influenza at 60y.
So Elizabeth Ingram was born c. 1777.

Unfortunately, I've no experience with Westmorland records, most of my reserach is Cheshire based. Have any of the parish records been transcribed or made available on-line do you know? I'm keen to discover if Elizabeth's family would have been in a position to help her, as her husband Henry Thompson died at the age of 28, and she never remarried, but somehow she managed to provide for a son and find him an apprenticeship as a joiner.

odessa.

odessa.

Offline ChrisWest

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 08 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Odessa,

There are some transcriptions for the north of Westmorland, but unfortunately not for the main parish of Kendal as far as I know. There is one for the records of Sedbergh, so this may be worth a look.

Baptisms for the parishes of Kendal and Sedbergh are reasonably well covered on the IGI for the period you are looking at, but there is a distinct shortage of Ingrams in the area. The only possibilities I could see for 1777 were baptised in London & Bedford, so this may not help.

Have you found the apprentice record? The £70 may have been paid for by a family member or alternatively possibly a charity, trust or a church.

I shall let you know if I come across any information that may be of use.

Good luck

Chris

Offline odessa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris,

Thanks for this.

I haven't found the apprentice record as yet. John Thompson's obituary leads me to believe he may have gone to Manchester for his training - so I've been trying to establish where all the associated family may have been at this time, before again moving out my familiar research territory.
I'm currently waiting for a copy of his father's will to see what, if any, provision was made for the child and who the trustees may have been.

kind Regards,
odessa.