Author Topic: Brennan's of Connaught area's. Help needed!  (Read 4769 times)

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
Brennan's of Connaught area's. Help needed!
« on: Tuesday 22 July 08 11:32 BST (UK) »
Can anyone link to Thomas Brennan born approx 1880?
A professional showman travelling around Ireland with the circus and fairs.
Thomas's attraction was a kind of wheel of fortune.
He was owner of The Connaught Bazaar and Connaught Travelling Concert Company.
He was also a variety act and comedian, his English wife Bessie Mina was a concert singer. They had 4 children, 2 of the girls settled in America 1929.
Thomas's father was also named Thomas profession Steward, believed to have come from a large farm estate.
Possibly had a brother in the priesthood.
Last known address for Thomas was Raphoe 1930.
Somehow linked to the French's DeFreynes of Roscommon.
I'm up against a brickwall and would so appreciate any help.
Kindest regards Jackie.
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Brennan's of Connaught area's. Help needed!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 11:28 BST (UK) »
Hello Jackie,

Your post on the Leitrim-Roscommon Genealogy Bulletin Board mentioned Thomas was married in Co. Cavan  in 1907 and was active in the Old IRA during the Uprisings when he was living in Gt Brunswick Street.

I feel Thomas packed so much into his life that there should be one or two articles about him in magazines or newspapers but unfortunately don't know which ones to suggest.

The best place to start attempting to find the newspaper articles which I'm certain must exist would be the Donegal Studies section of the Donegal County Library ...  www.donegallibrary.ie/memory/studies.htm

People should have a better chance of assisting with your search if they know a bit more about the DeFreyne family  http://tinyurl.com/5ltax9

Christopher. 

Offline emr77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 January 09 10:24 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather Terence Rogers Frenchpark married a Margaret Brennan from Carrareagh on November 4th, 1875 in st. Brigid's Church Ballinameen.  He worked as a gardener and later land steward on Lord de Freyne's estate in French Park. I am stuck at this stage in my research.
However, could his wife Margaret be related to your family? Eileen

Offline jackie0051

• RootsChat Extra
  • Email is working again..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 February 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Eileen,

Many thanks for your reply to my posting. For some odd reason I did not come across your reply until today.
I have very little documented info regarding Thomas but there is a slight possibility that we could have some sort of a link between our Brennans which is obviously worth persuing..
I am going to send you a personal message giving you my private e-mail address and enclose more details for you.
Regards Jackie
Brennan. Harden. McElhinney, Towhey, Lovely- Towhey, Loval Towhey. Pattingale, Bentley. Scott. Pool.
Kilkenny, Dublin, Co. Donegal. England. Berwick on Tweed. Birmingham. Manchester America, New York, Oregan.