Author Topic: Wingate family tree  (Read 15332 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Wingate family tree
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 19:08 BST (UK) »
He was b Stirling and parents were Andrew and Agnes

See previous link in my first reply - I have already searched the 1901 for William without success
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 19:09 BST (UK) »
ok thanks for looking
staffordshire, plants,cottons,woodcocks,bailey,timmis
cheshire, woodcocks timmis,dale,bailey

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 01:12 BST (UK) »
I have a George Thomas Wingate (known as Thomas) who married Thomzin Devonshire 20th Feb 1801 Saint Mary's, Portsea, Hampshire, England.

Lieut G T Wingate was the Captain of HMS Biter, a 12 gun brig, (177 tons 24.4x6.9m) when she was run aground (wrecked) near Calais on 10 November 1805. He was captured by the French and spent some 8 years in the walled city of Verdun. Amongst his crew, who were also taken prisoner, were a Midshipman W. I. Devonshire and a Petty Officer (1st class) John Wingate.

Somehow his wife Thamzin (various spellings) joined him in Verdun and 4 of his 5 children were born there.

GT Wingate b. before 1776 d. abt 1817
Thomzin Devonshire abt 1778 - abt 1876

Children
John   b.  25 Jun 1800 Plymouth Dock, Devon, England.  d.  EST 1898
Thomas  b.  09 Mar 1807 Verdun, France d. 1869 Windsor, NSW Australia.  m. Rouse, Eleanor
Elizabeth   b.  24 Oct 1808 Verdun, France.  d.  13 Oct 1884 Yass, NSW Australia.  m. Turner, Thomas
James   b.  31 Dec 1811 Verdun, France.  d.  ABT 1908
Lucretia J Devonshire   b.  15 Feb 1813 Verdun, France. d Australia.

The Times, Tuesday, Aug 23, 1831 Marriages
On the 15th inst., at Trinity Church, Marylebone, Mr. G. Fletcher, of Renhold Abby, county of Bedford, to Lucretia, youngest daughter of the late Captain G. T. Wingate, R.N., of Stirling, North Britain.

Any information on my Wingate family would be gratefully received.

Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 02:09 BST (UK) »
Not sure am going to help here as such but I am from Paisley and there certainly was a Wingate family (still is) who were quite well known in the town.

Going back to the 1970s they lived at the West end of Paisley .However where they lived was built post WW2 so they could easily have lived elsewhere in the town prior to that.

There is a marriage of a Daniel McColl to a Mary Wingate in 1895 (I can't find the Loban one!) which took place in the south end of the town - that's also where St Charles RC church is too. This marriage was at the Lylesland UP church. the bride's parents were William Wingate and Annie Neary. William was a Coal Miner - nearest pit would have been Johnstone (about 3 - 4 miles away). He is shown as deceased.

I can see a 1901 entry for Daniel and Mary living in Gt Hamilton St - also south side of Paisley but no William fraid.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 02:31 BST (UK) »
Ann(ie) Neary died in Dundee 1929 (recorded as Nara) but def wife of William Wingate miner - looks as if she collapsed in the street as informant was a police man and cause is suggested as a cerebral hemhorrage.

Father James Nara and Mother Mary nee Burns.

Mary McColl(nee wingate) died aged 28 in 1904. Address Gt hamilton St, Paisley. And i forgot to say previously Danield McColl was a bricklayer.

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 08:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ann for your reply.

Yes Paisley is certainly close enough for any descendants/families to have moved to from Stirling.

As I'm in Australia, apart from paying somebody to research it, I have no other means of obtaining the information other than posting my need in an area where others searching for Wingate information may come across it.

The only other information I have come across is that the 4 children were christened in Stirling upon their release c.1814. I suppose if I had the actual church details and the parish I would have the area where they actually lived. FamilySearch reveals they were Born & Christened in Stirling but fails to give a church name. A family portrait reveals (written on the back) their Verdun birth. FamilySearch also reveals that he used the name Thomas on these same records.

His marriage reveals he was from Stirling and when freed he returned to Stirling. From this I can assume that he was born and raised in Stirling and has family there.

All I need is for some kind soul to research the parish records to reveal Parents and Siblings.

Regards, Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 April 12 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rob

the info I posted was in relation to the Dawnee's posts. Not sure is same family as yours  :)

Ann

Offline trebor130871

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 March 16 20:38 BST (UK) »
William and elizabeth wingate from paisley were my granda and granny

Offline chaz45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 May 16 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hi I've just came across this and don't know if I would be much help can't seem to find the start of the story but my grandpa is James wingate and my gran was originally mccluskie n i seen this name mentioned also they all lived in paisley my grandpa would be in his 80s he died a few year ago my granny died when my mum was 16 so about 35 year ago don't know if this is the same family u r looking for though