Author Topic: 1851-1861 census - SMITH  (Read 801 times)

Offline trueblue

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1851-1861 census - SMITH
« on: Monday 24 January 05 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to trace a William Henry Smith born in Norwich in 1838, who married a Harriet M Lacey in 1859 in Norwich. She was born in 1836 in Norwich.
By 1861 they definitely had a son  William H Smith and possibly another named Samuel Soames SMITH born that year, both in Norwich.
Can anyone help re' 1851 and 1861 records please?
regards
Stuart
Francham, Godbolt, Earl, Bailey

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1851-1861 census - SMITH
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 January 05 19:47 GMT (UK) »
there are quite a few William Smiths born around 1838 but only one WilliamHenry, to verify this is the correct one it maybe advisable to track the marriage certificate down.

It is would be a huge search to look in 1861 as it is only indexed by towns and Norwich is  a big place.

Have you got him in 1871?

This is the 1851
Head: SMITH, William         Neighbors     160870
Name   Relationship   Mar   Age    Sex   Occupation    Birthplace
William  SMITH   Head   M   34   M   Flourist   Catton-Norfolk
Catharine Ann  SMITH   Wife   M   31   F   Shoe Binder   Aylsham-Norfolk
William Henry  SMITH   Son   -   13   M   At Home   Norwich----
Edward  SMITH   Son   -   11   M   Scholar   Norwich----
Elizabeth  SMITH   Daur   -   8   F   Scholar   Norwich----
Sophia  SMITH   Daur   -   4   F   At Home   Norwich----
Catharine  SMITH   Daur   -   16   F   At Home   Norwich----
   Address:   Rose Yd, Norwich
   Census Place:   Norwich St Augustine Norwich, Norfolk
   PRO Reference:   HO/107/1812   Folio:   391   Page:   11   FHL Film:   0207465

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline trueblue

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 January 05 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I 've got him in 1871, when his own children were named after his sisters and brothers. He went on to be a florist and gardener living in Catton.
Regards
Stuart
Francham, Godbolt, Earl, Bailey

Offline Anjo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi true blue where were the children chr that could be a clue as to where they were in 1861 if you know which church they were christened in. where were they living in 1871 and we could work back from there. to give you the information you want we need a bit more information from you.

Took a quick look at st Augustine, Norwich 1861 just to follow on from the 1851 that Nicky gave you.

couldn't find that family but I did find a William Smyth age 35 married to Harriet also 35 but no children his occupation wasn't clear but it looked like lurist. could be flurist  he was born in Woodbridge and she was born in Caton. Can send you the image if you want it. Send me a pm With your email if you want the image.

All the best Angela