Author Topic: Longnor marriages  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Bellini

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Longnor marriages
« on: Wednesday 23 July 08 18:02 BST (UK) »
I would be most grateful if anyone can help with my mystery. My great grandmother Charlotte Belfield was born 23/4/1858 Longnor to Joseph Belfield and Mary Fox. However her siblings seem to have two different mothers. The usual explanation of '1st wife died and man remarried' does not apply as in chronological order the siblings almost alternate with either Mary Bradbury or Mary Fox as their mother as follows:

Ann b 1840 mother Mary Bradbury
Sarah b 1847 mother Mary Fox
James b 1850 Mary Fox
Martha b 1854 Mary bradbury
Dolley b 1856 mary Bradbury
Charlotte b 1858 Mary Fox
John b 1861 Mary Bradbury

I have a marriage between Joseph Belfield and Mary Bradbury Dec Q 1839 in Prestbury Cheshire but have not managed to trace any marriage between Joseph Belfield and Mary Fox.
Thanks for any help!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Longnor marriages
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 July 08 18:43 BST (UK) »
A copy of the 1839 marriage cert may solve the problem as it will show whether she was single or widowed when she married Joseph and will show her fathers name.  Alternatively - it will show whether Joseph was a widower or single

Mary just may have been married previously and this is what can happen

Mary Fox marries William Bradbury

William dies

Mary Bradbury marries Joseph Belfield but when the Belfield children are registered - her maiden name is shown as Fox as that is her true maiden name

It may be that Mary "alternated" in error between her maiden name and previous married name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Bellini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 08 18:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for suggestion, Carole. I have the 1839 marriage between Joseph Belfield, of full age, bachelor and Mary Bradbury, of full age, spinster. Joseph's occupation is 'Baker' which fits with that shown on my great grandmother's birth certificate: Charlotte Belfield born 1858 to Mary FOX.
The date of the marriage is 13 Nov 1839 at the Parish Church Prestbury in the Registration District of Macclesfield.  Father of Joseph is also Joseph Belfield, baker and father of Mary is John Bradbury Blacksmith.
Witnesses  William Millward and Mary Belfield

I have traced a likely Mary Belfield in 1841 census aged 20 Islington  Longnor with 9 month old daughter Ann (b 31 aug 1840) but no sign of Joseph, her husband. (HO107/1003/5)
Mary Belfield died 19 Feb 1883 aged 62 (birth year approx 1821) wife of Joseph Belfield, Baker at Church St Longnor  Informant Ann Belfield daughter

Still a mystery!

Offline yonderpeasant

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • be with you in a minute
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 August 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
I have had this problem where the wifes mother married twice and the wife was known by both the first and second husbands name .Everthing else matched including addresses and occupations .  Took me ages to get my head straight.
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Ridgway.  
 Salop.Lancs.Stoke on Trent.
Colclough.Ackley.Adams.Harris.James
 Longton  Stoke on trent Staffs.
Scholes.Collinge
 Middleton Lancs.
Gogerty.Deavonporte
Salop.

Offline Bellini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 August 08 11:22 BST (UK) »
I could try going back another generation to check on Mary Fox/Bradbury's mother.Thanks forthe tip.  :D

Offline Bellini

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 04 August 08 12:39 BST (UK) »
I have found a marriage between John BRADBURY and Sarah FOX  22 May 1820 Alstonefield Staffs on IGI. I need to check that these are the parents of Mary Bradbury/Fox !!