Author Topic: Mattingley Henley-on-thames look up  (Read 3861 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Mattingley Henley-on-thames look up
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 24 July 08 12:30 BST (UK) »
Charles Mattingley baptised Jul 14 1833 s/o John, cabinet maker, & Elizabeth

Emily Elizabeth Jan 14 1835 - father is a cabinet maker (buried Apr 11 1837 aged 2)

Albert  Feb 3 1837 - father is a cabinet maker.

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline offroad48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 24 July 08 12:31 BST (UK) »
Hi to all from cold Melbourne,
The 11 offspring I have for John Thomas Mattingley but none confirmed and no BDM dates are, Cecelia, Robert, Charles, Emily, Albert, Amelia, Ellen, Thomas James, Montem, Alfred and Elizabeth. The occupation I had for John Thomas Mattingley was Cabinet Maker! Obviously family history that has passed down through the generations on the sketchy piece of paper I have!
Beresford Raynor Brereton Browne Baxter Jemott Marshall Kent Coulson Mattingley Birch Kent Riley

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 July 08 12:38 BST (UK) »
So, there may be 2 even older children lurking in the background!. I'll have another look in Henley - trouble is that there are so many baptisms in Henley that they are divided into sections, and I'm obviously not going back far enough!!  ::)

Anyway - good news - I've found John & Elizabeth's marriage on Family History Online:

9 June 1829 New Windsor, Berks
John Thomas Mattingley & Elizabeth Long.

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline offroad48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 July 08 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill
Many thanks for your input and help. EXCELLENT ;D The pieces of the jigsaw are now falling into place and creating a clearer picture! It may be that there are two earlier offspring as the son Charles was age 8 from the 1841 census, ie b.1833. If John & Elizabeth maried in 1829 one can assume that they had other offspring from 1829 to 1833? Perhaps the harsh conditions back then had an affect on the lives of the family.

Nigel (Offroad48)
Beresford Raynor Brereton Browne Baxter Jemott Marshall Kent Coulson Mattingley Birch Kent Riley

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 July 08 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

It seems the 2 missing children were born/baptised in St Giles Reading. From the IGI:

baptised 23 Apr 1830 Elizabeth Cecilia d/o John Thomas & Elizabeth Ann

baptised 29 Jun 1831 Robert John Mattingley s/o John Thomas & Elizabeth Ann

Both are IGIs extracted from the PRs so should be reliable.

Jill

HELP!!!

Offline offroad48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 July 08 14:51 BST (UK) »
Jill
That's great  :) I now have all 11 offspring and from other notes I have from the Genealogical Society of Victoria I can match names and more dates in Melbourne. The John Thomas Mattingley family came to Australia and two of his sons were schoolteachers. My next task is to search shipping records for the date of arrival etc and to tie in other info I have of the family. Many thanks to all for the great help you've been. Must sign off now as its nearly midnight in Melbourne!

Nigel (Offroad48)

Offline sargus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 July 09 06:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

Offline sargus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 11 July 09 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Nigel,

I am also descended from these Mattingleys.    My G.grandfather was Alfred Joseph, son
of John Thomas & Elizabeth Ann.  I have been researching  them for a number of years and
have them back to Roger Mattingley Born 1693 Married Jane Spicer.  I also live in Melbourne.
Did you Know Elizabeth Ann started on of the first schools in Melbourne (Now the Errol St Primary
school in North Melbourne.  Also they came on the ship with their own furniture and a large tent
and camped in the Flagstaff Gardens as accomodation was hard to find because of the gold rush.
The father and sons took turns patrolling around the tent at night due to the ruffians in the area.
Most of  the first generation are buried in the Melbourne General Cemetary.  Please contact me for
further info.

Susanne

Offline offroad48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 19 July 09 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzanne, I also live in Melbourne and have much info on the Mattingley family and all the branches from the early arrivals in Melb.  Also as you can see from past post I have the Oxfordshire link and like yourself further back to 1693. Did you also know there's a Mattingley Lane in North Melb? At the east end of Errol Street there's a Jewelry Shop which is where the very first school was before the big more important State school where the Mattingley's were either teachers or the head master. I have most of the education records too. Please email if you need any detail on your line or wish to share. The Mattingley family I have followed is the Thomas James Gairns Mattingley (he went to Qld) Are you from the Wandin, Victoria branch? Hope to hear from you soon. Nigel