Author Topic: Holloway - Stretton on Dunsmore/ Leamington - bMD Lookups (Completed)  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
Hello

I wonder if anyone can please help me with the following information:

William Holloway - born abt 1862 in Stretton on Dunsmore and died about 1893 Leamington Spa

William's mother:

Eliza Holloway - born abt 1842 Stretton On Dunsmore - not sure when she died.  Christening details for William indicate she was a single mum although it is possible that she married a James Knight of Stretton on Dunsmore on 31/08/1863?  If this is the case i would also be interested to see more details of James and his family, together with anymore info on Eliza's family.

William's children:

Herbert William Holloway - i have birth, marriage and death details although for reference b 01 01 1885 Leamington Spa d 25/11/1911 Stourbridge
Ethel Holloway - born abt 1887, Leamington Spa
William Holloway - born abt 1889 in Leamington Spa

Eliza's parents:

Thomas Holloway - born abt 1801, Warwickshire
Mary Holloway (nee Fletcher?) - born abt 1805, Southam, Warwickshire

Eliza's siblings:

John Holloway - born abt 1829 Stretton on Dunsmore
Catherine Holloway - born abt 1833 in Stretton on Dunsmore
Betsey Holloway - born about 1835 in Stretton On dunsmore
Ann Holloway - born abt 1838 in Stretton on dunsmore
Sally Holloway - born abt 1839 in Stretton on Dunsmore
Anne Holloway - born abt 1844 in Stretton on Dunsmore
Fanny Holloway - born abt 1847 in Stretton on Dunsmore

If anyone can help me with these or any other relevant info i would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

TB

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Possible from freebmd

Deaths Jun 1893  Holloway  William  29  Warwick  6d 369
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thank-you Carole.  That could prove a useful lead.  I will check the census info that i have to see if that ties in.

If anyone is able to provide me with the details, together with the other outlined birth, marriage and death info i would be most grateful.

Kind Regards

TB

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Hi

Have you checked for BMD info on freebmd?

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Civil Registration only started from 1.7.1837 so anything prior to that date will be dependent on parish records but may be on the IGI at www.familysearch.org
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
IThank-you.  have looked at that Carole. 

However, before i commit to buying certificates, as some of the information i have researched to date appears sketchy, i just wanted to see what specific dates such as christening dates or other factual information (parents, siblings etc) that many of the experienced people have access to and could provide me with.  I am still quite a novice at this and this particular line of my family tree has proved a bit challenging!

Thanks again for your response.

TB

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Hi

Re: birth info on freebmd.  Unless there is a corresponding IGI entry, you would need to buy the birth cert to find the parents details (I have posted some info below which may help)

Re: Post - 1837 Marriages.  Unless you know the name of the church in which the marriage took place plus the year and quarter - same problem

Deaths - you will always need to buy a copy of the death cert.  Death certs are not always a reliable source of info as anybody could report a death - not just a family member

CONDITION ON APPLICATION

Birth certs - If you know the parents names, you could always send for a copy of the birth cert but put a condition on your application that you only want it if the parents were ????.  If it’s the wrong one – you will only be charged a search fee which I think is around £3-£4

Marriage certs - if you know either the bride or grooms fathers name, again, you can make this a condition on your application

Search by GRO

If you have done your own searching in the GRO indexes and have found more than one reference to the name you are researching, or are unsure which is the entry you require, the GRO offer reference checking online.

The charge is £7 for action on the first entry, which includes the cost of the certificate, and £3 for checking each subsequent reference against the information you have provided.   You have the option of asking them to either stop at the first reference which agrees with your information or to check all references

You must give them one piece of information that you are sure will appear on the certificate for example,  the exact date of the event or a parent(s) name(s). You must fill in the reference checking sheet which is accessed by pressing the reference checking button near the bottom of the page,  and fill in all the fields that you would like the entry to be checked against before
you press the 'Submit' button. A certificate will only be issued if the entry they check matches the checking point you give them.

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thank-you for the information Carole, which was very useful.

Apologies if i have mis-understood the purpose of this forum. 

In the meantime, if anyone is able to give me any more information on the persons listed as currently my research is restricted to census records, BMD and IGI online records, which are not particularly complete in this respect and i am generally still coming to grips with the methodology and so would be grateful of any assistance.  For example if anyone has access to the Parish records in respect of the queries raised this may help me further.

Kind regards.

TB

Offline carina2769

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Holloway - Stretton on Dunsmore/ Leamington - bMD Lookups (Completed)
« Reply #7 on: Monday 30 August 10 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am new to this site and found it whilst looking for my GGGrandmother who is Eliza Holloway who married James Knight.
Thomas Knight was a child of theirs he was married to Emily Jane Hopkins.
Gladys Maud Knight was my nan and she was born 1901 and had an illegitimate child Alma Knight and was told to get rid or leave.
She ended up in Hastings and married my grandfather Charlie Mitchell. She died in Hastings in 1987.
Hope some of this helps
Carina2769

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Holloway - Stretton on Dunsmore/ Leamington - bMD Lookups (Completed)
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 August 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your message.

I had originally thought that Eliza was the mother of my illegitimate ancestor William Holloway - born in 1862.  That was just before she married James Knight.  I found William's baptism in 1862 to Elizabeth Holloway (single Woman) and thought that this might be Eliza although i now think the mother is Betsey, born abt 1835.

I can't find a baptism for Betsey and can only find her on the 1841 and 1851 census.  I did find a death for an Elizabeth Holloway in 1869 and plumped for the death certificate.  It was very helpful and showed her to be Elizabeth Holloway, daughter of Thomas Holloway (deceased), with witness Mary Holloway - all tying her to the family.  William is then found living with his grandmother Mary Holloway in 1871.

I have got James' birth certificate somewhere if you need that as i initially went down the wrong line with my research, from memory Eliza married twice .

I cannot make any progress with the Holloway line - I find that Thomas Holloway lists himself as born in Marstone, Warks in 1851.  Sadly he dies in 1858 and so there are no further details.  I have been unable to find a baptism for him circa 1799 in the area although there are a lot of Marstones - Marton, Priors Marston......

If you have any joy in that regard i would be interested.

Regards

TB