Author Topic: Ancestry  (Read 980 times)

Offline sadnil

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ancestry
« on: Tuesday 25 January 05 09:04 GMT (UK) »
I have subscribed to Ancestry UK for some time now and have found some really useful stuff. Being able to access census images is worth the subcription.
I have had a problem finding one family as putting names in didn't work, as I knew where they lived and had found relatives close by I went page by page until I found them. I would like to correct the error but have no idea what they have been transcribed as. Does anyone know a way of going from an image to a typed page, it is possible the other way round.

Corns/Lenton/Downing in Rugeley Staffs
Winspear/Leadley/Hodgson/McClacklin in Whitby N.Yorks
Corns/Binyon/Crofton/Mason/Smith/Farrol in Sunderland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nicky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Try searching the first name, age and place. Quite often there are transcription errors with surnames.

Often I have tracked people down with just a first name and a place.

Nicky
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><br />Sewell - Surrey<br />Lynch - Ireland, Devon and Channel Islands<br />Whall and Pye - Norwich, Essex and Kent<br />Cotterill - Warwickshire<br />Adams - North and East Riding of Yorkshire<br />Preest, Dufty Lewis, Aston - Forest of Dean

Offline Biker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

A good question, but no I don't  :(  Perhaps someone can enlighten ...

If I have that problem, I generally take note of other details on the family that can be (hopefully) uniquely searched, e.g. unusual birthplace for the census area, plus age, plus first name of one individual together with the parish/town name filtered in the search.

Hope that helps.
Good luck
J
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jenny Wood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've had that problem too.  If you click on the name (don't go into the image)there is a corrections button for names that comes up on the right hand side of the screen under the title What to do next?.  It gives you three options, E-mail image to a friend,  Comments and Corrections and View printer-friendly.

Under comments and corrections you can put in the correction.  They say they will make the name corrections searchable.  Everything else they don't really seem to want now - but at least you can correct the name so the next person doesn't have to go through page by page to find them.

Jenny.

Sorry just re read and realised that the above doesn't help.  The only way I know of is to use the folio/page reference to view the page (this will show you the people on the page) and look manually from there.
AYRES - Surrey, Maitland
ATKINS - Kent, Sydney, Brisbane
CAMPBELL - Isle of Skye, Chatsworth Island NSW
CONNORS - Scotland, Ireland, Sydney
FLANAGAN - Scotland, Sydney
HOUWELING - Netherlands
PETCH - Kent, Australia
TREVITT - Newark
VICKERS - Birmngham, Oaken
WATSON - Isle of Man, Chatsworth Island NSW
WATTS - Kent, Maitland
WOOD - Oaken, Broseley, Barrow, Penkridge, Brisbane
WORTELBOER - Netherlands

Offline sadnil

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all,
Jenny I can only go image by image so have tracked them that way, there is no facility to go anywhere else.
Corns/Lenton/Downing in Rugeley Staffs
Winspear/Leadley/Hodgson/McClacklin in Whitby N.Yorks
Corns/Binyon/Crofton/Mason/Smith/Farrol in Sunderland
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk