Author Topic: Ryan, James  (Read 8988 times)

Offline lynjon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ryan, James
« on: Monday 28 July 08 09:33 BST (UK) »
James was born Abt 1812. His parents John and Catherine Ryan. Native Place Kings County. Brothers and Sisters Bridget and Kathryn, Peter, Michael, Da and John. James Married Ann Going in 1835, Glengool, Tipperary Ireland. They had two children Mary B. 1837 and Patrick B. 1841. Christened at Gortnahoe Par, Glengool, Tipperary Ireland.
James was transported to Van Diemans Land in 1848 . He was convicted of stealing a heifer. The Trial was held at Kings County.
James met and married Rose McGovern in Van Dieman's Land.

Would appreciate any info on James Ryan and/or Ann Going and children in Ireland

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan, James
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 July 08 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynjon,Have you any idea what part of Kings  they  came from ? Regards Nipy

Offline lynjon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 July 08 22:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry all I have is KINGS COUNTY WHICH i BELIEVE NOW IS OFFLAY
DO YOU HAVE ANY NEWS

Offline lynjon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 08 22:51 BST (UK) »
His convict records show him as being tried at Kings County and the area he came from was Kings County

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynjon,sorry no info,as you know Ryan is a common name in Ireland-just had a look at Griffiths Valuation for Kings Co & there are 235 Ryan's listed for differant areas of Offaly,if James father was still alive at the time of G/V there are 32 John Ryan's-looking at the idea that Da maybe short for Daniel there are two listed one at Letterluna & one at Wheery (which is Ferban)If only you had a record of any of the children of John & Catherine  & found what parish they were baptized it would be a great clue.Ive a lot of Ryan's popping up on my Offaly files,I will have a look & see if I can come up with any clues but don't count on me been lucky I do know of the top of my head that I've got Ryan's at Rahan-Keep hunting regards Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 14:38 BST (UK) »
Hi again,just though when James was tried I would have said it was in Tullamore as the main court/prison for Offaly is Tullamore. What do you think?-Nipy

Offline lynjon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 July 08 22:24 BST (UK) »
I have his convict record which states he was tried at KINGS COUNTY  on the 28 June 1847, he was a farm labourer, age 35, native place  Kings county, the ref is CON 33/93  HE WAS MARRIED AND HE WAS A ROMAN CATHOLIC He had a wife Anne Son Patrick and daughter Bridget.

Do you have anything on wife Ann Going and his children.  A marriage certificate would be great.  All the details I have are as per first published query

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynjon,I shall try to look back to see if I can find any Offaly News papers of that time there maybe a small write up of James trail & possible name the area where he lived (fingers crossed) If only we knew where he lived you could work from that trying to find Ann & her children.There are people on this site that are great at this sort of digging,hopefully one of them will read this thread & be able to help out.-Nipy

Offline Notinpastyet

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 July 08 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lynjon,sorry to say I've got no futher,couldn't get any archive newspapers for Offaly for that time-but I have found out Offaly library have got microfilm-Kings County Chronicle Sept 1845- Dec 1921& Westmeath Independent (which would also be worth looking at ) 13 June 1846-30 Dec 1848. I wonder  if anyone would do a look up for you! Another though as it was the time of the Great Starvation-I wonder if Ann & her children may have gone to the workhouse,at the time there was a large workhouse at Tullamore & at Parsonstown/Birr (worth investgating )Have you any record where James & Ann's children where born Tipperary/Offaly,if only you could find something to link them to a place/parish in Offaly it would be a stepping stone you need,if I was you I'd try to view the 1847 newspapers (I'll keep looking for you.)Don't give up.Regards Nipy