Author Topic: FRY Family - Lacock, Wiltshire  (Read 40519 times)

Offline martin young

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FRY Family - Lacock, Wiltshire
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Family chat has it that my Frys are also related to the Frys chocolate family but I've not found any evidence to support this......................surprise!!!

The pedigree does include JS Fry and his sons............do you have any more Frys that you know of, as this would help establish a connection to the pedigree.................this is not a family tree as such, but traces lineage of one branch of the Frys.

You've gone back further than me, but I don't know of a Sarah in my Frys.

Offline MMEK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 January 10 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malcome,

Sarah is my latest Fry as she is married to our Ancestor George Kitching.   I have gone a little further back from Sarah.  The following is all I have:

Sarah's parents:
Stephan Fry: b.3 Oct 1733 Wookey, Somerset.  d.1816.  Wells, Somerset
Johanna Fussell: b.1736.  d.1813 Wells, Somerset.
married: 13 May 1761 Wells, Somerset.

Children of Stephan and Johanna
John Fry: b.abt 1760 Wells, Somerset
Sarah Fry: b.1762 Wells, Somerset.  d.Sep 1839 Wells, Somerset. Spouse: George Kitching.    Children: Ann and Stephen Fry Kitching
Rachel Fry: b.2 Nov 1765.  Milton, Wells, Somerset.  d.16 Jul 1801 Liberty of St Andrew, Wells, Somerset.  Spouse: John Withers.  Children: William, Ann, Sarah and Elizabeth Withers.

Parents of Stephan Fry:
Richard Fry: b. abt 1705 Somerset.  d.1768 Wookey, Somerset. Married: 15 Apr 1727 St Cuthberts, Wells, Somerset
Jane Thomas: b. abt 1710

Children:
Richard. b. 1728.  Married: Elizabeth Mayger- 17 May 1768
Jane: b. 1728.  Married: Charles Wride- 12 Feb 1757
Sarah: b. 1732.
Stephan: b.1733 d.1816.  Married: Johanna Fussell
Ann: b.1737.  Married William Wilkins- 5 Apr 1768

Hope there is a connection.

Offline Dorothy Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 February 10 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret

Family chat has it that my Frys are also related to the Frys chocolate family but I've not found any evidence to support this......................surprise!!!

The pedigree does include JS Fry and his sons............do you have any more Frys that you know of, as this would help establish a connection to the pedigree.................this is not a family tree as such, but traces lineage of one branch of the Frys.

You've gone back further than me, but I don't know of a Sarah in my Frys.

Offline Dorothy Hill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 February 10 15:22 GMT (UK) »
To Martin Young.    I am new to posting.  Hope this is going in the right direction.  "Fry's from Bristol and Somerset"  I have Fry's on my tree.  I wonder if they fit in with yours anywhere?  James Albert Fry b 1872 West Buckland, married Elizabeth Hill (my ancestor).  James' father was James Fry b 1834 Culmstock, who married Mary Burge.   His father was William Fry b 1803 Culmstock who married an Ann.  His father was James Fry 1772-1843, who married Mary Tucker.  I have no idea whether any of these are 'Fry's Chocolate' but it would be interesting to find out.

Dorothy

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 March 10 21:07 GMT (UK) »

Sarah is my latest Fry as she is married to our Ancestor George Kitching.   I have gone a little further back from Sarah.  The following is all I have:

Sarah's parents:
Stephan Fry: b.3 Oct 1733 Wookey, Somerset.  d.1816.  Wells, Somerset
Johanna Fussell: b.1736.  d.1813 Wells, Somerset.
married: 13 May 1761 Wells, Somerset.

Children of Stephan and Johanna
John Fry: b.abt 1760 Wells, Somerset
Sarah Fry: b.1762 Wells, Somerset.  d.Sep 1839 Wells, Somerset. Spouse: George Kitching.    Children: Ann and Stephen Fry Kitching
Rachel Fry: b.2 Nov 1765.  Milton, Wells, Somerset.  d.16 Jul 1801 Liberty of St Andrew, Wells, Somerset.  Spouse: John Withers.  Children: William, Ann, Sarah and Elizabeth Withers.

Parents of Stephan Fry:
Richard Fry: b. abt 1705 Somerset.  d.1768 Wookey, Somerset. Married: 15 Apr 1727 St Cuthberts, Wells, Somerset
Jane Thomas: b. abt 1710

Children:
Richard. b. 1728.  Married: Elizabeth Mayger- 17 May 1768
Jane: b. 1728.  Married: Charles Wride- 12 Feb 1757
Sarah: b. 1732.
Stephan: b.1733 d.1816.  Married: Johanna Fussell
Ann: b.1737.  Married William Wilkins- 5 Apr 1768

Hope there is a connection.

Hi Margaret,

I'm related to the same Frys, being a descendant of William Withers, son of Sarah's sister Rachel.
I have contacted several other relatives who have given me considerably more info on the family, up and down. No link with the chocolate Frys has turned up yet. According to one relative, our Frys lived around Wells back to about 1600, and before that in Devon. They can eventually be linked to the Plantagenets.

Two of Stephen's grandsons - both also called Stephen Fry - did move to farms just north of Bath, and one had a son William who lived at South Bank Farm, Lacock Road, Corsham. That must be fairly close to Lacock, but as far as I know, he had only two sons neither of whom married, so there's probably no link to the Lacock Frys.

David

Offline Fry Pan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 06 March 10 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Margaret, I am from this Fry Family. I think David has recently been in touch with me. I can help you a lot if you are still interested.
Valerie

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 06 March 10 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I've also got Fry's ... (about to go out for the evening, so just book-marking !)
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MMEK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 10 March 10 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Valerie and David,

This is very exciting!  I would love more information on the Frys.  Sarah Fry is my husbands 3rd GGmother.  The Kitchings had farming land in St Cuthbert, Wells, Somerset but I can only get back to George Kitching b.1687.  I would very much appreciate it if you are able to help me with the Fry branch of the family.

Margaret

Offline jomiskelly

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 13 April 10 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hello all, thanks for your replies.

I don't need census look-ups thanks, I was just wondering whether anyone else was researching the same family.  Or if anyone is from Lacock and knows of there being any Frys there still.

I went to Lacock at the weekend, it was beautiful.  Had a look in the village cemetary and found 9 Frys there - last one (I saw) died in 1942 so would not be too surprised if there were still Frys/descendants in the village.  I emailed their family history group so hopefully they will reply and I can ask them about it too.

Thanks
Hi Katie_f
I am descended from Frys of Chippenham and surrounding area which includes Lacock (New End or Inn Farm, East Street), Langley Burrell,

Happy to swap info
Gloucestershire - Clark(e), Cooper, Day, Gay, Hacker, Hale, King, Lines, Perriman, Summers,
Llandudno - Hughes, Jones, Owens, Williams
Northamptonshire - Collis, Elliott
Sussex -  Burgess, Colvin, Goldsmith, Midmore, Weham
Wiltshire - Fry, Hillier, Perkins, Wheeler