Author Topic: The mother of all brick walls!  (Read 10822 times)

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Alice Baldwin Yarborough circa 1920
    • View Profile
Re: The mother of all brick walls!
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 28 September 08 13:13 BST (UK) »
No, I haven't ... and I just tried to sign on to a 24-hour access, but after trying 4 times it hangs up each time!  It may be something to do with the weather, it is still the rainy season here in Thailand, and is quite torrential at the moment, which seems to affect performance, so I may try tomorrow.
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 28 September 08 14:47 BST (UK) »
Just to update ... I emailed the fellow researching the other Butler family on Rootsweb and already received a reply and a 6-page document, mostly about the father's career.  However, he notes that he can't trace Thomas Henry after the 1871 census, while I can't trace Henry Thomas (on census returns) before the 1881 census.  There are a couple of other intriguing facts emerging.  We are both now analyzing each other's information.

Cheers
Tim
Boyle, Butler, Yarborough, Baldwin, Midwood, McHale, Carter, Noble, Kay, Raper, Greenwood, Swift

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 28 September 08 14:56 BST (UK) »
Sounds promising. The father Edwin Henry Butler died in 1880 I think. I wonder if he left a Will.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 28 September 08 15:02 BST (UK) »
Yes, he died on 14th Sept. 1880, but no will has been located.  It sounds strange, I would have thought that someone of that eminence would have written a will.

And although there was a second son, he died in infancy, so Thomas Henry was the only child to reach adulthood.

Offline alandeighton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 19 January 14 21:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

Is this thread still alive?

I think my father's great-aunt Emma may have had a liaison and at least one child with Henry Thomas Butler, actor.

When I have worked out how this site works, I may be able to post a birth certificate to prove it!

Alan

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 19 January 14 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Timbottawa was last online in October.  He should get a notification to say there has been activity on his thread, as long as he's not changed his email address.  Just acknowledge this post once (or maybe twice) and you will then be able to send him a personal message too.

Added - Just make sure your birth cert attachment isn't too big (max is 500KB) and is one of the allowed file types (displayed when you click "Attachments and other options")

PS Hello and welcome!
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 19 January 14 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat.

Please be aware that you will not be allowed to post the whole of a certificate (copywrite rules) on the Rootschat boards. A small portion showing some relevant info is always allowed though.

Regards

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Monday 20 January 14 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan,

Yes, the mystery is still as alive as ever!  Needless to say, I'm fascinated by your information. As others have mentioned, you cannot post a full certificate here, but you can send it to me via a personal message.

However, if you could just send the information of date of birth, location, and address of mother it would help me to confirm the link, as I have now so much information on Henry Thomas' life.

Thanks so much!
Tim

Offline Timbottawa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 20 January 14 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Alan ... also if you can tell me your great-aunt Emma's surname (at birth) it could help.  Being an actor, Henry Thomas did spend a fair amount of time away from the family, which would, of course, yield temptations of a liaisonary sort!  (Don't think "liaisonary" is a real word :) ).  So I wondered if she was also an actress.

I have now researched Henry Thomas in more than 100 of his performances.  He performed with an Emma Staunton in Scarborough over Christmas 1878.  But in those days the actors/actresses were often listed by initials, so he may have performed with several other Emmas.  Then we're back to the stage name issue, of course :)