Author Topic: William Holloway - 1881 census lookup - Completed  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • View of Hinckley - 1791
    • View Profile
William Holloway - 1881 census lookup - Completed
« on: Wednesday 30 July 08 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am having trouble locating someone on an 1881 census record.  I have located William Holloway born abt 1862 in Stretton on Dunsmore/Ryton on Dunsmore on the 1871 Census, where he is living with his Grandmother Mary Holloway (born abt 1805 in Southam and nee Fletcher i think) according to the Stretton On Dunsmore census. I have also found him on the 1891 census where he is living with his wife Elizabeth (born abt 1863 in Kingswinford nee Hartley i think) and his three children Herbert (born about 1885 in Leamington), Ethel (born about 1887 in Leamington) and William (born about 1889 in Leamington).

I believe that he died in 1893 in Leamington Spa.

I cannot find him on any 1881 census though - can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

TB

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: William Holloway - 1881 census lookup
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 20:05 BST (UK) »
I see he was a butcher in 1891 in Leamington

In 1881 there's a George Holloway, butcher's boy aged 15 born Stretton on Dunsmore, living with Frederick Savage, butcher in Leamington Priors

RG11/3092  Folio  60 Page  4

Wonder if a relation or William listed with wrong first name?
Can't yet see this George in 1871/1891

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 20:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks Barbara.

That could be a possibility - would not surprise me if he ran away from home as he was living with his grandmother, who was a char woman, and i believe he may have been born to a single mum....... i get the impression that he may have had a difficult childhood!

However, i do not have a great deal of information about him or his parents which is why i was trying to find the 1881 census to see if that helped me with connections.

Thanks again for your hard work - if anyone can shed anymore light i would be most grateful. 

TB

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 20:34 BST (UK) »
I think you probably need to get his marriage certificate to find his father's name and occupation, or maybe one of his children's birth certs first to be sure of his wife's name, then you can get his birth cert to find both parents' names.

Have you traced his grandmother back from 1871 census to see his possible parents?

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 20:47 BST (UK) »
I am in the process of getting birth certificates for one of Williams children - Herbert.  Hopefully this should arrive before the weekend!

In respect of William's mother i note that in 1871 he was living with his grandmother - Mary Holloway.  I have found a Mary Holloway (widow) on the Stretton 1861 census - she has two children Eliza (abt 1842) and Anne (abt 1844).  I cannot however find them on the 1851 census!  I have found a Mary Holloway on the 1841 census although this pre-dates the other two children and she has a different family of kids including John (1829), Catherine (1833), Betsey (1835) and Sally (1839).  She is married to a Thomas Holloway, born abt 1801.  Could this be them.  The 1851 census may help me if only i could find that too!

Based on the two children possibly being the mother i did a quick search of the baptisms records for Stretton and note that A William Holloway was born to an Elizabeth (single mum) and christened on 20/07/1862 in Stretton - could this be him?  Unfortunately i could not find a birth record either so im struggling there!

Any help with the above would be much appreciated.

Regards

TB

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 21:06 BST (UK) »
1851 HO107/2070  Folio 368 Page 25
Stretton on Dunsmore

HOLLOWAY
Thomas head m 53 Ag. Lab    Marstone
Mary wife m 45       Southam
Sally  dau     11
Eliza    "         8
Ann     "         6
girls born Stretton on Dunsmore

Barbara  :)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 21:10 BST (UK) »
1841 census HO107/1137/20 fol.16 p.24

this one you already found matches with the 1851 and 1861

so William's parent could also be Catherine, Betsy, Sally, or even John

Will look for these older children in 1851

Barbara  :)

Offline Truebrit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 21:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Barbara.  Thats a great help and is helping me fill in the facts!  If only i could find a birth.  And now we know Thomas' birthplace Marstone - wherever that is!

Keep up the good work and thank-you very much in advance!!

TB

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 July 08 21:21 BST (UK) »
Marstone could be Maxstoke, I may have misread it.

1851  HO107/2067 Folio 700 Page 5
Whitley Abbey Mill, London Road, Coventry
in household of Thomas Roe, Miller

John Holloway  serv 22  no occupation given Stretton  Warwicks

1851 HO107/2072 Folio 637 Page 35
Russell Terrace, Warneford Villa, Leamington Priors
in household of Mary Large, wife of land proprietor

Catherine Holloway serv unm 19 House Servant   Stretton on Dunse.

Betsey could be this servant in 1851:
HO107/2066 Folio  634 Page 25
in household of William Edwards, farmer

Elizth. Holloway 16 House servant  Stretton

Barbara