Author Topic: Researching McPhillamy / McPhilomy / McPhellamy of Strabane, County Tyrone  (Read 5583 times)

Offline starflower2106

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I am researching my grandmothers birth family and have a lead (longshot) that indicate County Tyrone may have been the hometown of her ancestors.  Here's what I have so far:

Josephine Mary McDonald born to Eva Frances McDonald (father listed as unknown) - in Australia.

Eva's mother & father are Alexander McDonald & Bridget McDonald (nee McPhellamy). They were married in Australia and had 5 children: Gordon/Mary/Eva/Catherine/Josephine. All four women died as McDonalds (in Australia) so one is assuming they never married. Unable to locate any shipping records for Bridget however her death certificate indicates she was born in Strabane in County Tyrone.

James McPhellamy was a witness at the wedding of Bridget & Alexander, assumed to be Bridget's brother. A James McPhellemy emmigrated to Sydney Australia in 1875 on "the Surrey" Accordingly to shipping record both his parents were dead at this time.

Ardstraw Parish, County Tyrone 1833/1834
Extracts of Select Townlands for the Tithe Applotment Books

James McPhillimy (possibly the father of Bridget & James)
Js McPhillimy ??
Newtownstewart Townland
Year: 1834

Also located in 1834 was James McPhilomy who is listed as a publican/innkeeper in Newtownstewart, Parish of Ardstraw, Tyrone County – this could possibly be the father of James & Bridget

In 1824 a John McPhilomy was also listed as a puclican/innkeeper in Newtownstewart, Parish of Ardstraw – this could possibly be the father of James McPhilomy Snr.

I am not sure where to go from here. I think I have exhausted all avenues from within Australia.

Can anyone assist from here?  I dont have a DOB for Bridget or James Jnr only approx years of birth. Online searches or Irish databases have not proved successful so far.

Any help would be appreciate.

THANKS

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Researching McPhillamy / McPhilomy / McPhellamy of Strabane, County Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 August 08 13:23 BST (UK) »
Where did Alexander McDonald and Bridget McPhellamy marry?
If in Ireland: civil registration of Catholic marriages began 1864 (from 1845 for others). After those dates the certificates should list names and occupations of the fathers as well as the residences of bride and groom at the time of the marriage.
One Bridget's death certificate her birthplace listed as Strabane but it may be that she came from somewhere near Strabane and not Strabane itself.
It sounds as though you are trying to connect any McPhilinys that you find in Co. Tyrone to your family but as it's a fairly common surname that would not be sensible without more proof.

"I dont have a DOB for Bridget or James Jnr only approx years of birth. Online searches or Irish databases have not proved successful so far." What are the approx. dates? civil registration of births started in 1864 so before that date you need to search for church records (if they exist). To do so you need to know both the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).

Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline starflower2106

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 August 08 13:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I didnt realise the name McPhellamy was/is a common surname in County Tyrone as its not at all common in australia - so thanks for the tip.

Bridget & James were born in 1853 and 1851 respectively and were both of roman catholic religion as far as I know (death certificate and shipping record state this).  How do I access church records for this time period and where?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 August 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Bridget & James were born in 1853 and 1851 respectively and were both of roman catholic religion as far as I know (death certificate and shipping record state this). How do I access church records for this time period and where?
civil registration of births started in 1864 so before that date you need to search for church records (if they exist). To do so you need to know both the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).
If you do find out where the family lived you can try checking LDS catalogue (www.familysearch.org) to see if they've microfilmed the church records and what dates they cover.

Have you checked James' death certificate (or a marriage certificate) to see if there are any more clues there?

Offline anniemacp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 March 10 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Very interested to read your message.  My husband's great grandfather, James McPhillimy was born in County Tyrone in the 1820s.  His parents were Hugh McPhillimy, cattle dealer, and Margaret Noble.  James moved to Scotland in the 1840s and was a shoemaker.  I know nothing more of the family's origins.  Like you I was very surprised by the reply saying it is quite a common name.  I assure you it is very rare in Scotland.  Annie

Offline harrymac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 12 23:59 BST (UK) »
The variations of McPhillimy/McPhillamy/McPhilemy (not McPhiliny - which doesn't exist!) are not that common in Ireland either. Tyrone is the home county with strong links to Gortin/ Strabane/ Castlederg areas. My family roots are near Gortin.

Offline James Abinger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hello, not sure if this forum is still active but I'm also researching the McPhillamy/ McPhillamy family who left the Newtonstewart area of Co Tyrone in the late 1700s and settled in Muirkirk, Ayrshire. We know that William McPhillamy/ McPhillamy (a labourer) was born in Badoney/Bodoney, a village close to Gortin, near Omagh. He probably travelled to Scotland with a younger brother or family member, Andrew (referred to in previous posts). There appear to be no cemetery records including likely parents or siblings of the two brothers in the Newtonstewart area. Can anyone suggest any other Northern Ireland records which I could search? The Tithe Applotment Books cover a later period (1820/30s), so I really need to look at records dating from 1750 to 1800.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Phillimy1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 23 January 24 17:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am also searching for relatives in Co Tyrone.  I am trying to find out the names of the children of Hugh McPhillimy - born 1800 who was married to Margaret Noble - born 1804.  My direct descendant is James McPhillimy born 1823.  I am trying to find out if they had any more children as I believe one moved to Geelong in Australia.