Author Topic: George REYNOLDS born 1827 in Padbury  (Read 5673 times)

Offline Wmouse

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George REYNOLDS born 1827 in Padbury
« on: Saturday 02 August 08 09:13 BST (UK) »
Could someone please help me?
I have George Reynolds born 1827 in Padbury married to Sarah Morris (born about 1828) and married in July 1849 in Padbury. So far I have found 3 sets of parents for George Reynolds -- John Reynolds born 1789 in Padbury married to Elizabeth George (born 1787) Sept 24, 1809 in Twyfold, Bucks.
2) Thomas Reynolds born 1800 and married Jane Godfrey Nov 13, 1826.
and 3) William Reynolds born 1793 and married to Sarah Anstee.
Does anyone have information as to who the correct parents are?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wmouse 
Padbury, Buckinghamshire - Biddlecombe, Bull
Romsey, Hampshire - Biddlecombe
Bugbrooke, Northamptonshire - Gardner, Wright,
Northampton - Edmonds

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: George Reynolds born 1827 in Padbury
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 August 08 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Wmouse,

Have you considered ordering the marriage certificate to discover George's father's name?  :)
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 August 08 10:47 BST (UK) »
Padbury baptism registers are covered by the IGI

GEORGE REYNOLDS
Christening:  22 NOV 1827   Padbury, Buckingham
Father:  THOMAS REYNOLDS
Mother:  JANE  

GEORGE REYNOLDS
Christening:  15 JUN 1828   Padbury, Buckingham
Father:  JOHN REYNOLDS  
Mother:  ELIZA

On the 1841 census both these George Reynolds show in Padbury.

George aged 13 with Thomas aged 40 (adult ages, those over 15, were oftern rounded down to the nearest 5 on the 1841 census) an ag lab and Jane aged 39 and others.

George aged 12 with John aged 52 an ag lab and Elizabeth aged 53 and others.

Only one George Reynolds gives a place of birth Padbury on the later censuses. The one who married Sarah.

IGI coverage of Padbury marriage registers only goes as far as 1837.
George's marriage certificate would give the details of his father and confirm which one it is.

Marriages Sep 1849  
Morris  Sarah    Buckingham  6 495    
Reynolds  George     Buckingham  6 495

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Woden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 March 09 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Just seen your question on the parents of George Reynolds.

He was baptised in Padbury on 15 June 1828 and his parents were John Reynolds and Elizabeth George, who were married in 1809.

As far as I know, George was the ninth of John and Elizabeth's ten children and he is my great great grandfather.

I believe that I have some information to go back 3 generations from George Reynolds to about 1735.

Woden

Offline Wmouse

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: George REYNOLDS born 1827 in Padbury
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 12:00 GMT (UK) »
I have John Reynolds and Elizabeth George married Sept 24, 1809 in Twyfold, Buckinghamshire. They had 10 children. My line goes through their son thomas Reynolds baptised Dec 15, 1811. Thomas married Rhoda Mitchell born 1815 on Oct 16, 1834 in Padbury, they had 10 children. Hannah Reynolds born 1843 was my great great grandmother.
I have more information if you are interested.

Wendy
Padbury, Buckinghamshire - Biddlecombe, Bull
Romsey, Hampshire - Biddlecombe
Bugbrooke, Northamptonshire - Gardner, Wright,
Northampton - Edmonds

Offline Woden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 March 09 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Wendy

I have a copy of the Register of Banns for John Reynolds and Elizabeth George and banns for their wedding were read on 10, 17 & 24 September 2009. Elizabeth died in July 1855 and John married a widow, Louisa Spatcher (nee Betts) in Padbury on 28 January 1856. He died of liver cancer on 18 May 1861 and was buried 3 days later in Padbury. Although he was 73 years old, his occupation on the death certificate is shown as Parish Clerk.

John's father was also named John Reynolds (born 11 October 1761 in Whaddon, died 19 October 1843 in Padbury). John senior married Elizabeth Reynolds on 14 October 1783 in Padbury. Again, I have a copy of the Register of Banns and the Marriage Register and these confirm that the banns were read on 28 September, 5 & 12 October.

I also believe that John's (senior) parents were Robert Reynolds (born c 1735 in Buckingham) and Mary ? (born c 1738 in Buckingham) and they were married in Buckingham around 1756. I also found a second son of Robert and Mary, Richard, who was also born in Whaddon on 23 October 1763.

The parents of Elizabeth Reynolds were John Reynolds (yes! another one), born in Whaddon around 1729 and Elizabeth Wolfe, born in Whaddon around 1733. They were married in Whaddon on 12 October 1754 and so far I have found 4 children, all born in Whaddon - John, baptised on 4 January 1756, William, baptised 26 March 1758, Elizabeth (our ancestor), baptised 24 July 1763 and Ann, baptised 9 June 1771.

Much of the later detail was found in records at the Bucks Record Office in Aylesbury during two visits there, but the earlier information was found on the FamilySearch (Mormon) website. I visited Padbury in 2007 and many of the old cottages where the Reynolds family lived, in Old End and Main Street, are still standing and a visit to the Parish Church revealed that the original marriage register from the mid 1800's is still in use and we were able to check through it.

I hope this is helpful but if you have any information that contradicts the above or adds to it, please let me know.

Paul

Offline rhew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 19 November 11 21:32 GMT (UK) »
I believe I may be descended from John b abt 1825, another son of John Reynolds and Elizabeth George, if he is the John who emigrated from Padbury to Jamaica before the 1841 census (and probably around 1837). Do you have any information as to whether that John moved somewhere else in England, or died there, which would indicate that he did/could not go to Jamaica? I also saw on FamilySearch.org that he may have married Mary Miller, also of Padbury, but do not have confirmation of that.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Robert

Offline Woden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 November 11 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Robert

According to my records, John Reynolds and Elizabeth George had a son named John who I belive was baptised on 11 December 1814 in Padbury. I also believe that he did marry someone named Mary although I do not have a surname. From the baptism records for Padbury, I understand that John and Mary had a son, William, who was baptised on 10 May 1835.

I found a visit to the family history archives is Aylesbury very beneficial, but the marriage register for St Mary the Virgin Parish Church in Padbury from 1837 was still in use at the church when I visited in 2008. I was given access to it by the churchwardens when I arranged a second visit a few months later.

I have no further information about what happened to John and Mary prior to 1841 census.

Offline rhew

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 20 November 11 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Paul:
Thanks for the info. I have just gotten some search info from Buckinghamshire Family History Society (VERY fast response!) that I would like to share and discuss with you. Please email me directly at (*) so that I can send it to you.
Robert

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php