Author Topic: family crests  (Read 25273 times)

Offline Grandad james

• Rest in Peace Jim Ellis
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • FamilyHistory addict. My problems are all relative
    • View Profile
Re: family crests
« Reply #72 on: Monday 06 September 04 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All
Had a look at the website and I would make the following observations .

I think it is good that a disclaimer has been included and
I repeat what it says here for the benefit of the thread.

Disclaimer
The coats of arms on this website are to the best of my knowledge, accurately portrayed and referable to accepted source material. However, it is possible that there are a few that are incorrect for one reason or another, through no conscious fault of mine. The most likely cause of this is an error in the source reference. There is no totally reliable source for coats of arms and plenty of unreliable ones.
I am always happy to try to correct any such errors as they are pointed out to me, but I will not enter into time consuming and pointless discussion with critics whose motivation is "oneupmanship" or some desire to prove that they are smarter than I am (everyone is smarter than I am). Sending me snotty emails is not likely to get any response.

His words not mine..  I agree about the lack of a reliable source. 

But I still take issue with the fact that from  a lack of an explaination re "Rights" to Arms  it is easy to assume that the Surname Coats of Arms exist. The start of this thread....

Now for Kazza.( I have put on my pedantic cap.) ;)
Your Blazon  description is lacking a positional reference for the annulet which in turn gives the position of the lozenges  .  ie between.

Not sure what is meant by of the first. ???

If I was you I would be aiming for ......
Blue backgroung (Azure)..
I think you should try and colour your lozenges Gold or failing that Yellow.  (Or) as the ones portrayed are Argent
(Silver or White.)  The Annulet  stays white or silver.
With the change to Gold you can be sure that it was used by William Robert  HOLE...   and use the reference from Armorial Families to back it up.

Best wishes

Grandad james.

BOORER/BORER/BORRER/BOARER,Origins in
Surrey,Sussex,Kent and London.
BOORER/BORER? Registered One Name Study -WORLDWIDE.
ELLIS Richmond Surrey. Fletching Sussex
FREEMAN Chertsey , Isleworth Middx and Richmond Surrey.

Offline Kazza

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking into Holes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 07 September 04 01:48 BST (UK) »
Now for Kazza.( I have put on my pedantic cap.)
Your Blazon  description is lacking a positional reference for the annulet which in turn gives the position of the lozenges  .  ie between.

Not sure what is meant by of the first.

If I was you I would be aiming for ......
Blue backgroung (Azure)..
I think you should try and colour your lozenges Gold or failing that Yellow.  (Or) as the ones portrayed are Argent
(Silver or White.)  The Annulet  stays white or silver.
With the change to Gold you can be sure that it was used by William Robert  HOLE...   and use the reference from Armorial Families to back it up.

Hi me agin,  you will get tired of me soon.   ;D

I tried my blazon from the advice given on the site on how they are written,  but I probably misunderstood some of it.   ;D  And I tried to write it to describe the one used here.

Azure - I knew I got that bit right,  I was on safe ground there.  ;D

3 lozenges argent - Now getting more complicated as I have 2 sub-ordinary charges and did not know which one was the Primary.  And I thought that if I did not state a position they take the 2 over 1 below shape.

annulet of the first -  The instructions said not to repeat naming the colour if it is the same as the Primary.  But I got annulet right.  ::)

I left out the between because by now I was thoroughly confused and wished I had not started.   ;D ::) ;D

You see,  I hardly ever take off my pedantic hat,  and thought it would serve me well in this context.

What I learned today is that I am not as fast a learner as I thought,  but I learned something.  ;D

Thanks again,

Kazza.

Welsh Lass
Surname interests:
Clementsten, Hobson, Hole, Marden, O'Clements, Pitten, Sharland, Vickery (Vicary), Williams.

Area Interests:
Cardiff, Bampton, Bideford, Crediton, Wollaston, Somerset, Tidenham, Norway, Australia to Bristol.

Offline Grandad james

• Rest in Peace Jim Ellis
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Member
  • FamilyHistory addict. My problems are all relative
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Tuesday 07 September 04 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Kazza,
I think you are doing really well and it is easier to describe a Coat of Arms
from an illustration ,then make an illustration from a description.

If you can get hold of a copy of "Boutell's Heraldry" any edition , you will probably find it very useful.

Oh ,Ive just found out what a frette is.
Must go to another topic.....

I think it may well be a garden designed in the shape of a frette.

There is reference to a Blake family bearing a frette .

Speak to you again soon.

Grandad james.

BOORER/BORER/BORRER/BOARER,Origins in
Surrey,Sussex,Kent and London.
BOORER/BORER? Registered One Name Study -WORLDWIDE.
ELLIS Richmond Surrey. Fletching Sussex
FREEMAN Chertsey , Isleworth Middx and Richmond Surrey.