Author Topic: Parish register marriage  (Read 1406 times)

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish register marriage
« on: Sunday 03 August 08 13:19 BST (UK) »
“I'm looking for a marriage between Charles Stapley and Ellen Foot, between 1861 and 1864 when their first known child was born in Havant, Hampshire.  It is not entered at the GRO. Charles was a soldier stationed at Chichester Barracks in 1861 and Ellen was single and a servant at the Crossbush public house, near Arundel.  They could have married between Arundel and Havant.  It is possible that if they did indeed marry the officiating incumbent did not send it in. If anyone should come across it in any parish register I would be extremely grateful if they would let me know. In anticipation.”

Anna

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish register marriage
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 August 08 13:48 BST (UK) »
If the officiating minister was an army chaplain then the marriage will be in the GRO army registers which are held in the overseas section (whether the marriage occurred overseas or not, but many army marriages did) of the GRO indexes. Overseas marriages are not indexed on FreeBMD. Have you checked the GRO army registers index?

Overseas registers are indexed on the Findmypast website.

http://www.findmypast.com/home.jsp

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 August 08 14:05 BST (UK) »
No I haven't; and I didn't know that.  Thank you very much.  Anna

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 13:15 BST (UK) »
I have checked the army and overseas bmds but they do not show up there. Thank you for the suggesting anyway.  I am assuming in that case that they did not marry, unless someone knows different!

Anna

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 17:09 BST (UK) »
Have you checked after the birth of the first child?  If he was off abroad they may have married on his return.
Andrea

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 17:23 BST (UK) »
You can't assume anything in family history - not all the army registers the GRO hold are indexed

'The GRO at Southport holds an unindexed collection of Regimental Marriages in which a search can be made if the regiment and approximate year of marriage are provided.'

If you have a birth certificate for one of the children while Charles was still in the army you also will have the regiment Charles served in.

Other than that further regimental source, it could be that they have married outside of England and or at a later date and not necessarily quite in the names you have searched for them in, or their marriage is just missing from the GRO index

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/mikefost/

or they indeed never married,. There are various legal reasons why some people didn't, but in the end some people just didn't chose to.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annaS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 19:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your interest in the Charles Stapley/Ellen Foot marriage.  Charles had already left the army when the first known child - Charles was born.  This is what I have for those earlier years. He joined the 4th Regiment of Foot in 1859, so he wasn't a soldier for very long.

April to June 1860      recruiting duties at Bolton (WO 12/2270)
July to September 1860           stated to be at military prison (WO 12/2270)

In 1861 Charles was aged 22 and a ‘soldier’.  He stated that he came from Southampton, Hants.  He was living at The Barracks, Chichester. (Ref. 1861 census RG9/623 145 page 6).

October to December 1861   stated to be recruiting duties at Bolton (WO 12/2270)
January to March 1862   stated to be a prisoner end period January to March 1862. Absent 3 to 29 March (Ref. WO12/2270)

Charles Stapeley 1164 Military prison for desertion. Tried 17 April 1862. 56 days imprisonment. Released 11 June. Hospital. Invalid Depot. (WO 12/2271 Depot Battn 2/4th Foot).

He seems to have spent a rather lot of time in the glasshouse!!

His son Charles was born in August 1864 and his father - Charles - was said to be a brickmaker. 

Once again thank you for showing your interest.  I have however learned about military marriages.

Anna