Author Topic: Duggan/Dougan  (Read 12025 times)

Offline busymother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Duggan/Dougan
« on: Sunday 03 August 08 16:37 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for the Duggan/Dougan family for some time now, but have got no further in finding out whereabouts in Co Leitrim they are from.
The info I have is James Duggan who married Alice Cumiskey/McCumisky in the county around 1840. They had at least 2 children - Patrick and Bridget. Patrick married in Scotland in 1868, but is not found in the 1861 census, so probably left Ireland 1861-1868.
In the 1871 census, Bridget and her mother Alice are living with Patrick and his family in Scotland. I think Alice's parents names were Charles McComisky and her mother's maiden name may have been McParlane.

Any help gratefully received.

Marie
helford, feehilly, muldowney, evers

Offline jeob4

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duggan/Dougan
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hello Busymother:  Iam new member and a O'Brien whose family comes from Leitrim, Faughary (Manor Hamilton) Killesnet.  The Griffiths valuation has Duggans listed within the townland of Faughary.  My family left there to go to Glasgow 1863 and left in 1866 to emigrate to Boston Mass USA.  There they came in contact with Duggans who were pallbears on the death of my gr gr grandfather.  maybe these Duggans are yours of Hyde Park  Boston Mass

Offline CalumD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello "Busymother"

I'm new to this site and have looked with great interest at your posts.

Your James Dougan and Alice McCumiskey are my g/g/grandparents. Their son Patrick married Margaret McDonald (1868) and had five sons: James, John, Patrick, Francis and Alexander (I do not know of any daughters). I am the grandson of James.

I know that your Patrick married married Sarah Evers (1900) and their children were Kate , Helen and Francis. I know that Kate and Helen weren't married so are you are you descended from Francis?

Calum

Offline busymother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Calum - yes, this is the same family. My husband is a grandson of Francis.  I know James married Ann McAuley and had at leaset 2 children - Alexander and Francis.

Would love to know more about the family.
Marie

Offline CalumD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 November 09 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Marie, many thanks for the reply.

I'm the son of Francis.

I remember your husbands grandfather and his son Francis. There was also, I beleive, a daughter Theresa whose wedding I was at in the 1960's. Is your husband from Francis or Theresa?

Calum

Offline ejlasek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi I hope I am on the same Dougan Family I am Related to  Patrick Dougan D.O.B.1841 Ireland ,Married Margaret Doyle In Glasgow Had four sons James ,John,Patrick,Francis.I have them in the 1891 Census .I am the ggranddaughter of John ,who married Elizabeth Hepburn.On the 18 July 1913 They came from Bridgeton Glasgow.Any info would be appreciated. :) I am very new at this .

Offline busymother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 15:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry,

Don't think this is the same Patrick. "My" Patrick married Margaret McDonald - he did have a son John, but he married Catherine McGettrick.

Marie

Offline ejlasek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 April 11 14:02 BST (UK) »
thanks For that Marie ,
I might be on the wrong path but i have the 1891 census with a Patrick and Margaret with 4 sons .Patrick was a shoemaker at 50years old then i have 1871 census with patrick 30 also shoemaker birth dates of the sons james and john matching the 1891 years of birth, this one also shows me that Alice his mother and bridget as sister Living in the house .my Patrick lived into his nintys and outlived his four sons he was .as I said i am new at this and I may be up the wrong tree ha ha I also have a death cert for a Patrick Dougan Leather worker 1960 with wife Margaret Doyle 90 years old .his father is also Patrick Dougan with a wife Martha Cowan. anyway thanks again .

Jeanette

Offline busymother

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 April 11 13:34 BST (UK) »
Jeanette - there has to be some connection here. The census records you mention are the same ones I have. I have the marriage record for Patrick however, and his wife's name is definitely Margaret McDonald not Doyle.
Contact me by email at (*)

Marie

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php