Author Topic: ELLIS & PEPPER  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Claire1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
ELLIS & PEPPER
« on: Tuesday 25 January 05 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully SKS can help

I have just discovered a Mary ELLIS who married William PEPPER on 02/04/1868 in Spalding. Her father is listed as Anthony ELLIS who was employed as a Horseclipper.

i am looking for info on her parents. I have found an Anthony ELLIS on both 1871  & 1881 census in Fleet who would have been born c1805 in Fleet. He was listed as a widower and lodger on both. What I find starnge is that in 1881 there is a man (I assume his son) by the name of Robert ELLIS aged 35, unmarried, born in Fleet and listed as being deaf. I can find no record of him on the 1871 census. Where was he living and what sort of life would a deaf person have had in those days? Very different to that of a deaf person today I assume.

Hope there is someone out there who can help or who is also researching ELLIS in that area

Heres hoping

Claire
 ???

Offline celiasuud

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: ELLIS & PEPPER
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Claire, I think the Robert Ellis on the 1881 census is 55,not 35 ,if you look closely . Also Robert Ellis age 45 ,and who is deaf, is on the 1871 census ref RG10/3330 folio 12 page 18. have a look and see if you agree.regards Celia.

Offline Claire1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 January 05 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Celia

Looks like you were right. Robert is indeed 55 in 1881. I wonder what relation he was to Antony then. Could be a brother I suppose despite the 21 year age gap

Claire

Offline celiasuud

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 01:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Claire, Don't think this will help much,but on the I.G.I, there are:-
 Robert Ellis, son of Robert & Sarah,christened 7/12/1825 at Fleet, they also had a son called William,c.21/02/1821. Anthony Ellis, son of William & Mary ,christened 10/11/1805 Baptist chapel nc Fleet.
Marriage of an Anthony Ellis to Elizabeth Thorpe,14/05/1835,Fleet, they also had a son, William c.25.9.1835,inthe same chapel. I wonder if these are the right people,maybe the relationship could be uncle & nephew.  makes jigsaw puzzles a doddle dosen't it!!! regards celia

Offline Claire1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 26 January 05 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Celia

Looks like I need to ponder longer on this family. Hmmmmmmmmmmm!

Claire