Author Topic: Frank Lesley London born 1935?  (Read 16179 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Lesley London born 1935?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 15 August 08 00:02 BST (UK) »
Births

John Henry London December qtr 1901  Chesterfield 
Volume: 7b  Page: 782
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 15 August 08 00:05 BST (UK) »
Ok, what names witnessed this 1955 marriage?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 August 08 00:08 BST (UK) »
I think you first need to find the marriage of William James London and Tilda which you will only be able to do by searching the full GRO index as there is nothing on freebmd

Having established the year - you can then look for Frank's birth.  I wonder if he was genuinely 21 when he married or did he "stretch" the truth?  As you know - I have already checked up to 1936 without success
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 15 August 08 09:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks again  Carole W - so many replies over night.

The death certificate really did "hit" me when I opened it and even more when I looked into the tragedy.  So many men died and had simple action been taken earlier, all those deaths could have been avoided.

The names that witnessed the 1955 Marriage Pauline were a Paul Pemberton and Joseph L Arnold (the brides father). So not a lot of help here.

Tilda (possibly Matilda) could be the wife of John Henry London,  (William James brother) who also died in the tragedy.  However, it will be worth searching the index for the Matilda/Tilda marriage.

I have searched the indexes for quite a number of years around 1935 for the birth of Frank Lesley and found nothing.  The solution probably lies in the unusual first two name combination of Frank Lesley and to do a very broad brush search of 1935 births, but that is a daunting task.

If any one has any other quicker ideas it would be appreciated.   Possibly a search of local newspapers may help . . . . . . 

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 09:37 BST (UK) »
I have just found this information in the "Derbyshire Times" of 29 Sept 1950:

William James London (59), packer, 4, Appletree Road, Stanfree, leaves a widow, one son and one daughter. He was born in the house next door, 2, App letree Road, where his parents, Mr. And Mrs. F. London, kept a general store, now run by Mr. Brough. Mr. London, whose brother at Creswell was also killed in the disaster, had worked at Oxcroft and Whitwell Collieries, and had been at Creswell pit for four years. He was a member of Oxcroft Colliery Institute and of the Miners' Club at Shuttlewood. He had been employed as a collier for 45 years.
(NB the paper have got his age and length of service wrong)

and also this about is brother:

John Henry London (48), "The Dene," Skinner Street, Creswell, lived at Stanfree for most of his life, going to Creswell in 1938. He worked at Creswell pit for about 15 years and was previously at Oxcroft and Shireoaks. He was married with a son and daughter.

But still nothing yet to link William James to Frank Lesley.
(I have found John Henry's children on the BMD but none of William James)

I have also found out that his wife's maiden name was probably Partridge.
From the Derbyshire Times of 29 Sept 1950:
When Mrs. Tilda London. Apple Tree Road, Stanfree, arrived back from the funeral of her mother, Mrs. E. Partridge, Chesterfield on Tuesday, she was told that her husband, Mr. W. London, had been killed in the disaster.

I have looked on Ancestry's BMD for the first three quaters of 1935 and found no Frank Lesley Partridge but the last quarter is missing from the site. Can any one do a check for me please to see if there is a Frank Lesley Partridge in the DEC qtr of 1935. A long shot but you never know!

If anyone can help in any way, especially to link William James London  to Frank Lesley London,  it would be really appreciated.

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 10:49 BST (UK) »
I believe you can get to the last qtr by the breadcrumb trail route.

Search year by year till you end up with the alphabetic option...

http://content.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/list.aspx?dbid=8966&path=1935.Q4-Oct-Nov-Dec

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 11:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Pauline. Got there in the end. Came up with zilch, but that is really good tip. 

Any advice on how to move forward would be appreciated.

Andy

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Andy

There is a Frank E Partridge birth in the Dec qtr 1935 mmn Richardson Birmingham 6D 42 but no Frank Lesley

EDIT - sorry - didn't see your reply above before I posted

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 12:11 BST (UK) »
Tilda's mother could be this Mrs E Partridge

Deaths Sept qtr 1950

Eliza J Partridge aged 78 Nottingham 3C 245

Gives a birthyear of around 1872 so probably married by 1901