Author Topic: Irregular Marriage - LEE + CULLEN - Completed with many thanks  (Read 2969 times)

Offline CBD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Irregular Marriage - LEE + CULLEN - Completed with many thanks
« on: Monday 04 August 08 22:56 BST (UK) »
I've just read one of the 'look up offers' for Northumberland about irregular marriages and I'm wondering if a marriage I'm searching for but can't find might be an irregular marriage.

The marriage I'm after took place in the 1850s, probably before 1857 when the first child was born. The marriage was between GEORGE LEE (b. Tweedmouth 1836) and MARGARET CULLEN (b. Berwick 1839). Margaret's father was called Thomas Cullen. I'm unsure of George's father's name (either George or Robert). George appears to have spent all his life in Tweedmouth with the exception of 1858 when he was in Eyemouth, Scotland.

Hope you can help.

Kind regards,

Carol

Offline meadbh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular Marriage - LEE + CULLEN
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Carol,

I haven't found a marriage for your George Lee and Margaret Cullen but my sources for irregular marriages only go up to 1855. However, I see from the 1851 census that Margaret's father, Thomas, was a Chelsea Pensioner, and this looks like his marriage :

Mordington, 22 Jan 1836:  Thomas Cullen of the Royal Artillery to Mary Jean Brown of Berwick. Wit. Robt. Patten, Mathew Trainor

Kath

Offline CBD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,

Thank you for trying to find the Cullen/Lee marriage. The info about her father's marriage is interesting - I've got a marriage certificate for him from 1839 - marrying a Mary Jane Brown in Lewisham. I'll have to do more digging around to find out which one is the right one!

Carol

Offline meadbh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 15:46 BST (UK) »
I think it is probably the same couple. I see that their daughter Margaret was born in Berwick several months before the 'regular' marriage in 1839 in Kent, where their next daughter was born. I found another instance in my family tree of a couple running off to Coldstream and then having a 'regular' marriage service back in Cumberland.

Kath

Offline CBD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,

Yes, I agree, it probably is the same couple. I haven't come across this before.

Thanks again.

Carol

Offline bambie

• My email address is not working sorry.
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 03 October 09 11:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Kath,

Thank you for trying to find the Cullen/Lee marriage. The info about her father's marriage is interesting - I've got a marriage certificate for him from 1839 - marrying a Mary Jane Brown in Lewisham. I'll have to do more digging around to find out which one is the right one!

Carol
  Hi I think you might be a distant cousin of mine - thomas cullen and mary jane brown were my 3rd gt grandparents and I have margaret cullen and her hubby george lee and their children - kind regards bambie

Offline Helen K

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 October 09 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Just to confirm that the marriage of George LEE and Margaret CULLEN is not recorded in the Irregular Marriages from the Berwick Advertiser, which include those up to 1864.

This does not mean an Irregular Marriage didn't take place - only that there was no entry recorded in the Newspaper.

Regards

Helen K
Census transcriptions are Crown Copyright of the National Archives

Offline bambie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular Marriage - LEE + CULLEN - Completed with many thanks
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 02:19 GMT (UK) »
I've just read one of the 'look up offers' for Northumberland about irregular marriages and I'm wondering if a marriage I'm searching for but can't find might be an irregular marriage.

The marriage I'm after took place in the 1850s, probably before 1857 when the first child was born. The marriage was between GEORGE LEE (b. Tweedmouth 1836) and MARGARET CULLEN (b. Berwick 1839). Margaret's father was called Thomas Cullen. I'm unsure of George's father's name (either George or Robert). George appears to have spent all his life in Tweedmouth with the exception of 1858 when he was in Eyemouth, Scotland.

Hope you can help.

Kind regards, 

Carol 
hi Carol wonder if we have been in touch in the past - bambie

Offline bambie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Irregular Marriage - LEE + CULLEN - Completed with many thanks
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 November 10 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol - I am related to you through the cullen family - please get in touch - bambie

Hope you can help.

Kind regards, 

Carol 
hi Carol wonder if we have been in touch in the past - bambie

Hope you can help.

Kind regards,

Carol