Author Topic: Help to read Medal Card  (Read 1090 times)

Offline skyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help to read Medal Card
« on: Tuesday 05 August 08 01:56 BST (UK) »
I have my Granfathers medal card and I thought I was in luck as unusually there is some writing on the back. Unfortunately I am unable to work out exactly what it says.

Have a pre WW1 photo of him in a Police type uniform and think that the first bit of writing is a reference to the Met. Police. It then looks like a reference to India and something to do with medals. Lastly it looks dated 5/12/1 with initials underneath.

Strange date as I thought this card only referred to WW1 and not previous history.
Hope somebody out there can help!!?
Richardson; Headley; Kingsland; Moore;
Brett; Whitmore; Miller; Gosling;
Smith; Holland
Carter; Rushton; Salt
Haberfield; Maggs; Marsh; Veale;
Chapple; Bond; Baker; Osborne.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help to read Medal Card
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think you need to re-post at a higher resolution. The front looks pretty standard, so if you can post the writing on the back at say 700 pixels wide it would help. If you do not have any scanning software, you can cut and paste just the writing into a new picture using Paint, using the picture you saved off Ancestry.

Ken

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 09:18 BST (UK) »
Just looked online at it..
Heres what i think??
Comm(Commisioned ?) Met Police Fwd(Forward) Roll of Indiv)(individuals) ent (entitlement ) to medals 12/1/21

Medals were issued from about 1919 onwards.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline skyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 August 08 02:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys, that looks gof to me. Does that mean that he collected his medals, as my Dad knows nothing about them!Ant ideas where I get clues to that one?
I have redone the scan, so hopefully the cropped & cut version of the back of the card comes out ok
Richardson; Headley; Kingsland; Moore;
Brett; Whitmore; Miller; Gosling;
Smith; Holland
Carter; Rushton; Salt
Haberfield; Maggs; Marsh; Veale;
Chapple; Bond; Baker; Osborne.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 August 08 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Both

From the GWF I have found a better copy of the writing and it means:   "Commissioner Metropolitan Police forwards Roll of Police Constables entitled to medals" and date 12/1/21. This has 'PCs' rather than 'invds'

There are at least two posts on MICs that have the same words on the back - one with the same date and one with a later date - but no one has come up with a reason. In one case the man did not earn any WW1 medals, so it could be a way of earning the British War Medal as a home-based civilian. Maybe you should contact whoever looks after the archives for the Met.

Ken