Author Topic: Richmond Census - 1841  (Read 1093 times)

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richmond Census - 1841
« on: Tuesday 05 August 08 08:36 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to locate a Lewis (Louis) Levin, Levine, Levein on the 1841 census.  On later census's after 1881 he is recorded as William Levin with his birth place as being Richmond, c.1838.

His marriage lines which took place in Biggleswade in 1867 give his fathers name as George Levein (Levin) a clock/watchmaker.

The only Lewis Levin I found born at the similar time (1834) in Richmond was the son of a Moss Levin.  His family accounted for the Lewis in their family.

Family folklore says that Lewis was from a family of means but that he was jilted at the church/synagogue and vowed to marry the first person that would have him, and left the family.  Perhaps the reason why he changed his name to William? ???

Do churches keep records of marriages that DON'T take place!???? ???

Offline aynsley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Richmond Census - 1841
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
the Lewis Levin in 1841 could be yours. Moss levin i would say is the grandfather and Anne is the mother. In 1851 he is with Ann his mother who is a widow and Julia his sister, occupation butchers journeyman
Chatterton - Stockport, Espley - Newcastle -u-Lyme, Pashley - Worksop,Nottingham, Fox - Burslem, Faulkner - Staffordshire, Grunnell/Grunwell - Yorkshire, Price Hanmer, Cain - Co Mayo, Pickering - Shropshire, Phillips - Shropshire, Shufflebottom - Staffordshire, Bowker - Gorton, Slater - Oldham

Offline aynsley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
scrap that, i have just found that Lewis baptism on igi to Moss and Ann
Chatterton - Stockport, Espley - Newcastle -u-Lyme, Pashley - Worksop,Nottingham, Fox - Burslem, Faulkner - Staffordshire, Grunnell/Grunwell - Yorkshire, Price Hanmer, Cain - Co Mayo, Pickering - Shropshire, Phillips - Shropshire, Shufflebottom - Staffordshire, Bowker - Gorton, Slater - Oldham

Offline TessieWessie

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 August 08 09:17 BST (UK) »
You an see now the problem I am having trying to find this Lewis.

I too thought the same as you because Ann left Moss and went to live with a William ?.(Taking into account the fact that Lewis changed his name to William).

Moss and his family live in Richmond Workhouse and I have been in touch with someone researching this family and have definitely counted out my Lewis.

Tessie