Author Topic: Completed - 1888 death notice - Newcastle Evening Chronicle  (Read 2610 times)

Offline moli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Completed - 1888 death notice - Newcastle Evening Chronicle
« on: Wednesday 06 August 08 21:23 BST (UK) »
May I request a lookup for the following Newcastle Evening Chronicle death notice which is listed on the Genuki Northumberland site?

NEWBOLD, William   13 Mar 1888    N. Shields

I’m hoping that the information might be about William Newbold (1840-1887/88?) whom I am researching.  William was on the SS Algitha which disappeared at sea sometimes after 24th December 1887.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,318142.msg1989382.html

The death notice of 13 March 1888 appears less than three month after the last sighting of the SS Algitha.  The inquest on the loss of the ship took place on 4 May 1888 in N. Shields.  It might be a bit far-fetched to tie these two dates together, but I’m working on the premise that a death notice was placed in the paper before the official inquiry.

Thanks,
jo

Offline Grant45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1888 death notice - Newcastle Evening Chronicle
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 22:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jo
         It is him

Tuesday 13 March 1888
Newbold_ Lost in the December gales on a voyage from the Tyne to Savona. William Newbold chief engineer s.s. Algitha, of 4, Waterloo Place. North Shields, deeply regretted by his sorrowing wife and family, and a large circle of friends.

Regards
                                    Grant
GRANT, Markinch Fife & St Thomas Ontario
GILMOUR, Broughty Ferry, Angus & Anstruther Fife
LATTO St Monance Fife
STEWART, Bathgate West Lothian
STEWART,St Monance & Kilrenny
FLEMING, FORREST, Bathgate West Lothian
BATHGATE ,HAIG -East Lothian
STAINES Henham Essex-Edinburgh
ARMSTRONG,Northumberland
FEENEY,Lanarkshire Northumberland Co Durham
DONNISON Northumberland, Co Durham
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline moli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1888 death notice - Newcastle Evening Chronicle
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 14:01 BST (UK) »
Grant,

Thank you for retrieving the death notice. I was unable to find a death record for William Newbold so this notice in the newspaper appears to be the closest thing to a formal notification.

With William, I was working on the hypothesis that the non-existence of a death record might indicate that the person was lost at sea, or that no identifiable body could be found.

I guess my next step is to apply that theory to my search for William’s younger brother, Joseph. He was also in the marine trade. And he also seems to have disappeared without trace. The last reference to Joseph Newbold that I can find is on the birth certificate of his son who was born in Grimsby. I can’t understand why a Newcastle girl married to Joseph would travel to Grimsby to give birth. I assume that there was some maritime disaster around 1873 which made a heavily pregnant Mary Ann go to Lincolnshire. I do not know if that is where Joseph might have died or if it was back on his home ground in Newcastle. Maybe I’ll get lucky, again, and find another death notice that might answer my questions. In the meantime, I’m grateful for the help in fleshing out some of the individuals in this branch of the family tree.

Regards,
jo

Offline john rothwell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Completed - 1888 death notice - Newcastle Evening Chronicle
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 10 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've only just read your post so by now you may know all about William Newbold's brother Joseph who married Mary Ann Hutchinson and they had two children, Mary and Joseph.  William and Joseph had a cousin Joseph, also born 1848 in Walker, and it was he who moved "south" to Hartlepool.  He married Mary Harrison and they had ten children.

Regards,
Anne