Author Topic: Dines Family of Killinchy  (Read 8840 times)

Offline Oz Kim

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dines Family of Killinchy
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 05:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dan

Sorry it's taken a while to reply. PC issues. I am reduced to what info I have on paper atm rather than what I have recorded on my PC. George Dines & Margaret Hennessy are actually my husbands GGG Grandparents. Their daughter Margaret (born 1841 Ballygigan, Killinchy) and her husband Thomas George emigrated to Australia in 1864 with their son Thomas where they had another 9 children, 4 in Queensland & 5 more when they moved interstate to NSW with only 2 of those 5 surviving childhood. Thomas George was a Miner but disappears off radar sometime after the birth of their youngest child William in 1882. Margaret remarries in 1895 I think (I do have the marriage record on my PC but not on paper) her marital status at the time was recorded as widow, she died the following year 12th June 1896 Mt Morgan, QLD, Australia.

Unfortunately I have very little on George Dines & Margaret Hennessy thus far other than the fact that George was a Bailiff.

Kim

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline DYNESD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kim, Good to finally catch up. So George Dines (born 1805) is my 4th times grandparent on my paternal side. As you say he was a bailiff. PRONI unfortunately do not keep any bailiff listings/records. If you look on the familysearch website George's Dines surname is spelt Deines. The spelling could denote a German or Aberdeenshire origin or a phonetic origin. As previously advised the Church of Ireland records Killinchy refer to a Mary Deines of Bangor so I suspect a family link. The Dines/Dynes family tree is on Ancestry  which  was done by a cousin some time ago which I was never able to add too because of a lack of records. My dna results are also on that site.(I dont suppose ?)  At the moment I am trying to collate information provided from a number of sources which I will place on this site.  I am impressed by the generous response from the Rootschat forum which I appreciate very much. I live in the Noosa area Sunshine Coast. Will stay in touch. Kind regards Dan

Offline Gary D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 16 May 23 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All

All these posts look interesting.

I'm a lot further down the chain in years, but would be interested in more of the details.

My surname is Dynes , but looking back through history it used to be Dines.

George Dines was my Grandfathers great grandfather. Interestingly my grandfather was also named George Born 1893 (Ireland) paswed away 1961 (Dover, Kent)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 07:45 BST (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Gary D  :)

The OP (Oz Kim) was last online here in February, so should be receiving a notification of your post.

George Dines was my Grandfathers great grandfather. Interestingly my grandfather was also named George Born 1893 (Ireland) paswed away 1961 (Dover, Kent)

Is this your grandfather's birth record?

George Dines - birth 19 August 1893 at Killyleagh. Father William a labourer. MMN Kennedy.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02297/1861646.pdf

For others reading, here he is with his parents and siblings in the 1901 Irish census.
House 19 in Irish Street (Killyleagh, Down). (see also reply #11)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Killyleagh/Irish_Street/1230892/

The village of Killyleagh.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/dufferin/killyleagh/killyleagh/corporation/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4596905#map=12/54.4125/-5.6861

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 May 23 17:06 BST (UK) »

Some more information on the Dines family of Killyleagh-

Mary Dines (aged 14 on the 1901 census) married James QUINN on 8 December 1905 at St Mary's RC Church, Killyleagh.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1905/10180/5703869.pdf

Martha Dines (aged 12 on the 1901 census) married John KENNEDY on 1 May 1908 at Killyleagh 2nd Presbyterian Church. Martha aged 19 yrs and a mill worker. Her brother Hugh Dines was one of the witnesses.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1908/10053/5656252.pdf

Hugh Dines (aged 10 on the 1901 census) married Elizabeth DICKSON on 24 May 1912 at Killinchy Presbyterian Church.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1912/09912/5602279.pdf

Offline DYNESD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 21 May 23 03:34 BST (UK) »
Gary, George Dynes (born 1893) was my great Uncle. He joined the Royal Irish Rifles and was wounded in the battle of Mons in 1914.  He married Emily Goddard in Dover in 1912 and had about 13 children. Emily died in 1939 and he remarried to Lillian Homes in 1949. He passed in 1961 (rip) I think I have a photo of him so just let me know. Kind regards Dan

Kiltaglassin, .....first of all thank you so much for the information that you have provided in more ways than one because I have previously incorrectly used Newtownards as the registars district on previous irishgeneology enquiries. So the information is very new to me although I was aware that Martha Dines (my great Aunt) married a John Kennedy who was killed in WW1 (rip) There is a John Kennedy named on the Killyleagh war memorial which I have always taken to be him.  Coming back to the information in respect to Mary Dines theres a bit of a question mark given her marriage to James Quinn in St Marys RC church and I note no Dines named as a witness and her father is identified as William Dines? A mixed marriage maybe ? Thank you again. Dan

Offline Gary D

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 May 23 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan

Sorry for the late reply, I was away last week.

My Dad (David) who passed away December last year, was one of the 14 children and now only one alive , Ralph Dynes. It was Ralph who told me about the name change from Dines to Dynes. A photograph would be fantastic and any others you might have.

Many Thanks

Gary

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 31 May 23 07:29 BST (UK) »

Gary D,

Just to make you aware, we aren't allowed to post details of living, or possibly living, people here.

Recent family details, email addresses, etc. can be sent by PM (personal message) now that you have at least 2 posts.

I have asked a moderator to edit your post.