Author Topic: KNAPMAN, Frederick & Mary to Australia 1885  (Read 22140 times)

Offline KNAPPO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KNAPMAN, Frederick & Mary to Australia 1885
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 November 11 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pavski
I have a pdf document that shows all the Knapman ancestors I have found, send me your email and I will send it to you
Regards
Neil

Offline Pavski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 11 November 11 14:26 GMT (UK) »
Very Kind of You,

I assume email address might be removed?
Pav
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 November 11 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Devon: Sloman & Parsons
Banffshire: McGregor & Ogg
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 November 11 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Darwin53
Many, many thanks for this copy of the painting of my  grandfather's home where he was born and lived before he came to Australia as a 10 year old with his parents and siblings in 1885.
I knew the house had been demolished many years ago  and never thought there would be images of the house  in existence.
I am enormously grateful and appreciative - it is wonderful to have this image.   So thank you again for your trouble.
RobynD
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 12 November 11 14:05 GMT (UK) »
You're very welcome Robyn - I'm pleased for you that somebody painted it before it was demolished.

It's a small painting and it might be possible to obtain a high quality photocopy of it (or a high resolution photograph). Perhaps you could contact the Westcountry Studies Library, quoting the reference number and see if they'd copy it for you.
westcountry.library[at]devon.gov.uk (replace [at] with @)

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 19 November 11 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Dear Darwin53
On your suggestion, I contacted the library and they are sending a CD with the photo that I can then print to its full size.
So, many thanks for the photo and your advices.
Out of curiosity, I will try to find just when the house was demolished .
Would anyone have any knowledge of this;  or how I could find out?
RobynD
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline Darwin

• RootsChat Senior
  • My mother
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 19 November 11 17:47 GMT (UK) »
It was probably demolished shortly before the painting was done (as it says on the back). The artist may have sketched it just before demolition and then painted it later.

It was still standing in 1930 as is shown in this map of 1930 (near bottom right of map)
http://www.artus-familyhistory.com/Exeter%201930/Exeter%201930.html

The houses that were built over it are in Chestnut Avenue, which was built in 1933.

If you look on google maps and compare with the 1930 map, it looks like the farmhouse was where Chestnut Avenue meets Topsham Rd

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 20 November 11 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Again, many thanks for your kindness in searching for this map. You are so fortunate in knowing which resources to search - difficult for me in Australia to know which repository to find places.  I will go there one of these days, just to wander around  where my grandfather and his parents and siblings grew up.
RobynD

Offline DJK-Throwleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 03 March 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I appreciate that this thread is now a bit old, but I have only just seen it, having very recently joined RootsChat. I recognise a lot of the Knapman names mentioned above, and if anyone seeking a Knapman ancestor cares to look on the Devon genealogies pages of the genuki website, they will find a document there giving all of the Knapman families that I have been able to trace. The easiest way to find it is simply to google "Wider Knapman Family". I have recently taken a Y-DNA test, and would encourage any other male Knapmans out there to consider doing the same, via the familytreedna.com/public/Devon group to check out family lines.