Author Topic: KNAPMAN, Frederick & Mary to Australia 1885  (Read 22137 times)

Offline chough

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KNAPMAN, Frederick & Mary to Australia 1885
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 05:57 BST (UK) »
Dear Maureen,
I am the Great Great Great grandson of John Knapman.  I grew up in Port Adelaide b.1953 My gg Grandfather was W. Knapman below. His Son W.H. Knapman my g grandfather.  His son Bert my grandfather.  His son Max my father.  The Cannon Brewery was common knowledge in the family.
As were the Knapman Buildings at the Black Diamond Corner in Port Adelaide.
Regards,
Steve Knapman
John KNAPMAN married Mary Ann WAYCOTT 5 November 1822 in Bridford, west of Exeter.  They had the following children, all born in the Bridford/Dunsford area:

Mary Ann KNAPMAN (1822- )
James KNAPMAN (1825- )
John KNAPMAN (1828- )
William KNAPMAN (1830- )
Susanna Waycott KNAPMAN (1833- )
Samuel KNAPMAN (1835- )
George KNAPMAN (1838- )
Sarah KNAPMAN (1841- )
Maria KNAPMAN (1843- )

William Knapman (the one who went to Australia and started a brewery) was born 4 Dec 1830 in Dunsford, Devonshire, England and died 24 Jun 1908 in Port Adelaide, South Australia, Australia at age 77.

William married Charlotte Bowden about 1 Jan 1853. Charlotte was born about 1 Jan 1834 and died 30 May 1892 in Port Pirie, South Australia, Australia about age 58.

Children from this marriage were:

Mary Elizabeth Knapman born 18 Aug 1854 in Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.

William Henry Knapman born 3 Jun 1856 in Lefevre Peninsula, South Australia, Australia and died 24 Jul 1900 in Exeter, South Australia, Australia at age 44.

I don't know any more about John Knapman but he may well have had siblings in the Exeter area.  I have more details about the Australian family though.

Regards,
Maureen

Offline taffy64

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 July 09 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hello to ALL Knapmans

I have recently discovered a Knapman in my family, do any of you know of it or are connected to it?

Susanna Knapman married John Winsor (sometimes spelled Winser) on 30 Aug 1808 in Chagford, Devon.

Devon; Winsor, Elliott, Rattenbury, Blackler, Knapman, Earle, Rich
Monmouthshire, area of Machen, Harris
Monmouthshire; pontypool area, Morgan & HP Jones a baptist minister
Norfolk; Cater, Flood, Margerson, Woodcock, Darsley.
St Twynnells area of Pembrokeshire and Cole & Lewis
Northumberland; Davison, Godsmark, Ford, Crackett
Lewis, Cole & Beavan families from Boughrood & Glasbury in Radnorshire

Offline RobynD

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 July 09 07:37 BST (UK) »
 Steve - I have just come across your message about the Knapmans in Adelaide and the brewery.
  I've been told they are distantly related to my grandfather Thomas Milton KNAPMAN, but have not followed through with this line of research - it's on my "to do" list;  however I would be interested in making contact and sharing information.
I have a copy of a big KNAPMAN family tree compiled in 1999 by a John Knapman in Plymouth, which has my line and thousands of other Knapmans all descending from a William of Throwleigh, Devon  in about 1500. There are also several branch lines from various people listed on John Plymouth's Knapman list.

I live in rural northern NSW.

Moderator Comment: email address removed to prevent spam and other abuses. Please use the secure personal message (PM) system to share email addresses and other personal information. Thank You.

RobynD
Knapman - Devon; Milton - Devon; Davies - Galway; McSharry - Leitrim;  Read - Battersea, Surrey; Delany - Dublin, Ireland; Campbell - Antrim; Yeomans - Kyneton, Warwickshire - third fleet convict to Australia; Facey - Bristol. - convict to Australia;  fletcher - Galway;  Faulkner - Mile End, London.

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 10 July 09 07:51 BST (UK) »
Dear Maureen,
I am the Great Great Great grandson of John Knapman.  I grew up in Port Adelaide b.1953 My gg Grandfather was W. Knapman below. His Son W.H. Knapman my g grandfather.  His son Bert my grandfather.  His son Max my father.  The Cannon Brewery was common knowledge in the family.
As were the Knapman Buildings at the Black Diamond Corner in Port Adelaide.
Regards,
Steve Knapman

Hello cousin, nice to meet you!  Your great great great grandmother Mary Ann Waycott was my first cousin 6x removed.  Her father John Waycott, a papermaker of Buckfastleigh in Devon, was brother to my great x5 grandfather Richard Waycott.  I don't know much about the Knapmans, but I can give you Mary Ann's family back to about 1735.  Send me a personal message here if you want to know more.

Regards,
Maureen
Researching:
Waycott, Fewings, Piper, Burgoyne, Johns, Phillips, Paddon, Streat;
Morrish, Rowdon, Pike, Lowder, Flood, Parsons and others.
All in glorious Devon!

Offline chough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 July 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
Dear Maureen,

Hello and Thank you.  Yes, I would be interested in further family background on ggg grandmother Mary W.

Best,
Steve K.

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 17 July 09 11:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Maureen,

Hello and Thank you.  Yes, I would be interested in further family background on ggg grandmother Mary W.

Best,
Steve K.

Steve, I've sent you a personal message telling you how to contact me.

Regards,
Maureen
Researching:
All in glorious Devon!

Offline blinkybill

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 September 09 13:38 BST (UK) »
i'm a relo of james knapman ,son of john knapman and mary ann waycott. how do i get in touch with arishmell?

Offline arishmell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 September 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
Another cousin!  I've sent you a personal message with my email address.  To contact anyone on RootsChat, just click on their name at the side of the post and you'll be taken to their profile.

Regards,
Maureen
Researching:
All in glorious Devon!

Offline numbr6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 November 09 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Just came across your post and wonder it you could send me a copy of any Knapman info you have .
I  found my great great grandfather William Knapman's grave in Kingswear Devon where he was a
fisherman. Also traced some relatives back to Throwleigh . Would like to fill in spaces . am now in Canada.
    Cheers  John Knapman