Author Topic: BRODIGANS  (Read 8890 times)

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
BRODIGANS
« on: Thursday 07 August 08 10:18 BST (UK) »
hello list I am trying to find my gg/mothers people she was Mary BRODIGAN born Drogheda 1849 she married a Welshman Llewelyn Turner and they lived in Wrexham Wales,I know she had a brother Patrick but I'm sure there must be other siblings,I remember going to Drogheda 60yrs ago and I recall there were lots of folk.Is there anyone out there who knew or are researching the BRODIGANS I would love to hear from you Thank you all for reading this Bernadine
Mulcahy Antrim Turner Wales Foster Liverpool Nisbet Scotland Brodigan Drogheda Thomas Wales

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BRODIGANS
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 August 08 12:10 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 07 August 08 14:09 BST (UK) »
I know ,when I looked up Marys niece also Mary who was with her when she died her birth was in Meath St Matthews yet on the census returns for the Turners Marys place of birth was Drogheda,I remember we went to Drogheda to visit family 60 yrs ago,my mothers sisters used to visit too.I do not know if these places are near one another I am running around getting nowhere,on one cen I thought it said south Drogheda but of course it was Louth so I thought I would have a try on the Louth board,there must be Brodigans in Drogheda I did go to Drogheda 5 yrs ago but I was lost not at all the way I remembered it,how I wish I had asked the people who knew when they where here,Please anyone with any information on the Brodigans please get in touch  Thanks Bernadine
Mulcahy Antrim Turner Wales Foster Liverpool Nisbet Scotland Brodigan Drogheda Thomas Wales

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 07 August 08 15:28 BST (UK) »
But are you sure the relatives in Drogheda were named Brodigan?

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 August 08 18:23 BST (UK) »
I sent for my grandmothers birth cert and it states Mary Brodigan mother,I know it was her people we went to see in Drogheda The  only other Irish connection was my Grandfather William Mulcahy he was from Belfast but all his family moved to Birkenhead when he was 7,it was nothing to do with the Mulcahy'sWe went to Drogheda my mum and I plus her cousin Bernard he was from Shotton Wales and an older chap called Uncle Pat(bernards dad I think)It must be the Brodigans all the Turners as far as 100yrs before always lived in Wales.I would love to find her people she had such a hard life Lew running off and leaving her with small children she died 4 yrs later all the smaller children split up with different people(my grandmother was one of them)  I know I am clutching at straws I hope somebody else is researching the Brodigans  I pray for that and it will ring a bell with them  Thanks Bernie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 August 08 18:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, but if a female Brodigan marries a man from Drogheda and their family lives there they won't be named Bronigan.

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 August 08 20:14 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry I dont understand what you mean I know I am not very good at researching too old I expect but my gg/mother was Mary brodigan she was from Drogheda she married a Welshman Llewelyn Turner they lived in Wrexham,when he ran off and left her  her niece came over to help her with the children her name was also Mary Brodigan so she must of been my gg/mothers brothers child to have that surname. She was present when my gg/mother died so the death cert states,She(the niece) met and married a chap in Wrexham I have them in the 1901 cen living in Wrexham with one of Marys(mygg/mothers ) children Richarh Mark Turner The chap she married was William Thomas I have her wedding cert she states her father as Patrick Brodigan ,That is who I think my gg/mothers brother was.Hope all of this makes sense  Thanks Bernie

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 August 08 20:20 BST (UK) »
If the Brodigan connection in Drogheda was married she and her children would go by her husband's surname not Brodigan so the relatives you are looking for might not be called Brodigan.

Offline bernadine

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 07 August 08 20:54 BST (UK) »
Yes that is right she was  married to a Llewelyn Turner so she was Mrs Turner she had 8 children all TurnersI sent for my grandmothers birth cert and it statesMary Elizabeth father llewelyn Turner mother Mary Turner formerly Brodigan The niece who came to help her when she was deserted by Lew must of been her brothers child because she was called Mary Brodigan it was her who was present when my gg/mother died.in the 1881 cen Wrexham it states that Llewelyn Turner head wife Mary her birthplace down as Louth Drogheda,I see also that her second son was born in Drogheda so she must of been over for a visit. She was Mary Turner nee Brodigan born Drogheda 1849,first son born in Bradford all the other 6  in Wrexham  Thanks Bernie