Author Topic: Cabrach  (Read 81027 times)

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cabrach
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 28 April 11 19:29 BST (UK) »
The normal pattern is for it to be on the 3rd Sunday in August which would put it on the 21st this year - it's usually not definitely confirmed until nearer the date though so I can't guarantee that.

Neil

I haven't heard yet about the church service, but the last 2 have been 16th August & 15th August so I would guess that this year it will be the 14th.

Hi Stuart,

Do you know when there is the Annual North Cabrach Church Service this year, i've talked my mother into finally making the trip from New Zealand so wouldn't want to get the date wrong. If anyone else knows that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Melissa
Cabrach

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 01 May 11 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart P
I have traced my ancestors back to a Francis Bannochie who was born in Cabrach on 29 Oct 1749. He married a Jean Moir in Knockando on 15 May 1773 and raised a family in Huntly. Have you come across him in your research?
Colin
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 28 June 11 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

service has been confirmed as 21st August for 2011 - 3pm as usual.

(If anyone is going to miss that date but still wants to see inside the church please drop me a line - access to the building should be possible at other times as long as we have enough notice.)

Neil

I haven't heard yet about the church service, but the last 2 have been 16th August & 15th August so I would guess that this year it will be the 14th.

Hi Stuart,

Do you know when there is the Annual North Cabrach Church Service this year, i've talked my mother into finally making the trip from New Zealand so wouldn't want to get the date wrong. If anyone else knows that would be really helpful.

Thanks

Melissa
Cabrach

Offline gabbadougal

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Friday 21 October 11 21:12 BST (UK) »
So this thread is failry old and i am new to this.. Some of you may still be out there searching?? just started researching.  I am a Gordon with my ancestors from cabrach and noted on here that some may be related to me as my ggg g/father was alexander Gordon who married Margaret Kellas in ?1790... Stuart if your still around your work is fantastic and has given me a great start... but still loads of gaps especially from his decendents...I am in Aberdeenshire wow my family travelled far

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Saturday 22 October 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
"The Genealogy of The Cabrach" website at http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/stuartpetrie/  was updated 17 Oct 2011. The census download now includes a complete transcript of the 1911 census and a map of the parish. If when you log on to the site it shows an earlier date then hit the Refresh button on your browser otherwise the census link will not work. Also, if you enter the site from a Google search for a name it is possible that the link might be outdated and shifted onto another page.
I am currently going through the Kirk Session records (a slow process). This brings in new names and clarifies the identity of some others.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline threestones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Saturday 22 October 11 21:48 BST (UK) »
I am in Aberdeenshire wow my family travelled far

<grin> I can beat that - my family are still in the Cabrach.
Cabrach

Offline Harrys Mum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Saturday 22 October 11 21:52 BST (UK) »
Stuart....you are doing (and have already done) a brilliant job.

I got a surprise with my tree the other day.  I thought all my Gordnon, Grant and Kellas family came from Cabrach.

However, my Paul Gordon (my 3x great grandfather) who married Anna Kellas was born in Kingussie.  His parents were John (sometimes with Roy as a second name) and Marjory Kennedy.  I found their marriage in Kingussie 1730.

Marjory was from Pitmain (a big Kennedy area) and John was from Laggan.  Someone has found a John Gordon who survived the battle at Culloden.  Right place and time-frame but no proof he's my John.  However, there were only two Gordons in Culloden, John and James.  

I am now trying to find if he's mine and maybe James is his brother.
That may be where my Gordons came from on that side.  I have more on the Cabrach Grant side.

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Monday 24 October 11 11:25 BST (UK) »
The name Paul Gordon first appears in Cabrach in 1767, when James & Paul Gordon in Gaich are witnesses to the baptism of Isabel Gordon daughter of Adam Gordon & Isabel Gordon in Gaich. The next references are in 1771 & 1774 in Poneed, then 1776 to 1823 at Aldivalloch.
By oral tradition the phrase "Gaich Gordon" meant someone who settled in Cabrach as a fugitive after Culloden, and who may have changed his name to avoid detection. I do not know the original source for the idea that Paul Gordon was from Kingussie.
If you want to see all the mentions of a particular person on the Cabrach website, go to the Chronology of Events page, then use "Find on This Page" on your browser.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline Harrys Mum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Monday 24 October 11 20:08 BST (UK) »
Stuart...I wish I had a tiny bit of your knowledge about Scotland....

My Paul Gordon married Anna Kellas (1789) in Cabrach. One of the family had a Bible with names, but very few dates or places.....I suppose they knew who they were writing about.

Paul's parents were written as John Roy Gordon and Marjory Kennedy.

Paul's date of birth was also written.

There is a baptism on SP for Paul with the correct parents and dates.
There is a marriage on SP for John Gordon and Marjory Kennedy.

Paul was baptised Kingussie (district anyway).
John (from Laggan) and Marjory(Pitmaen) were married 1730 in the Kingussie register.

I also found another marriage for a Paul Gordon to Margaret Gordon in Cabrach 1768.  I think that is the same fellow, but not sure yet.