Author Topic: maxwell  (Read 10201 times)

Offline jennifah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: maxwell
« Reply #18 on: Friday 19 June 09 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Fifi22

Well my Great Grandmother was born Robertina Maxwell, illegitimate daughter of Annie Maxwell. However she became Robertina Maxwell Millen following her mums marriage to Robert Millen. I was always under the assumption that she may have been Robert Millen's daughter in the first place with a name like Robertina. Although I guess I'll never know!

Sadly I don't have much to go on for Robertina apart from the usual birth, marriage, death and the tiny snippets of memory gained from my dad over the years, no photos or anything. Her first daughter Williamina is my Grandmother although, again, frustratingly I don't know much about her or have any photos.

Does this help? I can get some dates for you if she is still a mystery.

I'm always excited to hear from someone related to this family so I'm as intrigued about you too!

look forward to your reply
Jenny

Wilson, Millen, Glass, Wylie - Greenock/Port Glasgow
Belton, Barclay, Barbour, McKenna - Glasgow

Offline Fifi22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 22 June 09 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny

How very interesting though still a mystery I'm afraid.  I'm just wondering what her married name was, maybe then I can work it out.

Fi

Offline Fifi22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 22 June 09 14:31 BST (UK) »
I meant to add, I can give you more information on the other siblings if you like.

Fi

Offline jennifah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 22 June 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Fi

Yes any info you can share would be fantastic thank you!

My great grandmother Robertina was married a couple of times although my grandmother Williamina (her first child) was born out of marriage and her father was William Wylie. Robertina's first husband was Edward Thomas Miller, they eventually divorced. Her second husband was Alexander Nimmo who died during the second world war.

Robertina's DOB was 8th April 1899 and she died 27th March 1967

I wonder why she is so mysterious?! I don't know what kind of person she was but I think that my Gran, Williamina, was brought up with her grandparents Robert and Annie Millen (Maxwell) as she grew up living with them.

Anyway, hope I've shed some light now!

Jenny

Offline LFR22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 02:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

I know that this is an old discussion, but I was delighted to find it.

In a nutshell: My deceased father-in-law was adopted and his biological son, my husband, recently had his own DNA analyzed through 23andme.com. It revealed a third cousin match, who kindly reached out to us and told us that, in keeping with the common third cousin connection being the great-great grandfather/mother, that could possibly lead to his relatives, Robert Millen born 1852 or wife Annie Monkin born 1851 in Port Glasgow, Scotland. (I am mindful that this is an educated guess on both our parts at this point, as there is another side of the family to consider.)

If you follow their children and grandchildren down the family tree (which I have explored on the public member trees at ancestry.com), you come to a series of possibilities for members from this family who could have been a parent of my father-in-law, who was born on July 1, 1933 in New York City, USA.

I keep looking at Robertina, as she is the correct age per the non-identifying information provided by the adoption agency (btw. 34-38 yrs. old in 1933). I can't help but notice that both her sons with Miller died very young, and that she divorced in 1935. Could it be possible that she spent some time overseas in the years between the death of her son Robert in 1928 and her divorce in 1935? The adoption agency revealed that the birth mother claimed that she was married, but was living apart from her husband because he was "a drinker." Incidentally, the agency also revealed that she gave birth via c-section (a risky proposition then, and a likely guarantee that she could have no more children).

And, if not... can you think of any other candidates in this line?

I am wondering if anyone related to this family has tested their DNA. If so, I have uploaded my husband's DNA to gedmatch.com. His kit is #M144154 if you would like to compare it.

Thank you for reading and I welcome any input. Please know that we are looking ONLY to fill in the informational blanks on the biological family tree. My father-in-law had a full and stable life of 75 years filled with love, career and family. His left a great legacy and we are eternally grateful for the woman who chose to put him in a better place than she could offer.

Warmly,

Lisa in the U.S.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

Offline LFR22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 02:59 GMT (UK) »
By the way, this is the ancestry.com tree I was referencing: http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/259388/family?cfpid=-1150311133

Offline LFR22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 03:04 GMT (UK) »
FYI, this is a somewhat blurry pic of my father-in-law in his 70s.

Offline jennifah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I was really interested to read your post and would love to help if I can? The tree you referenced is mine I'm glad it has been helpful (!)and I have been trying to find out as much as I can about Robertina. She is my great grandmother and it has been frustrating research so far but will share what I know with you!! Xx

Offline LFR22

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 23 March 16 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, and thank you so much for responding! It was such an old thread I thought my chances for a reply were slim. :-) I would appreciate any insight you'd like to share. I should note that a couple of the other matches (they are more distant) on my husband's DNA analysis carry the surname Wylie in their lineage. I will follow up with them. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.