Author Topic: maxwell  (Read 10204 times)

Offline jennifah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: maxwell
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 24 March 16 05:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

It's no problem it's good to try and solve the mystery and get your husband some answers to his past 😊. You have probably already checked but I had a quick search on ancestry yesterday but haven't as yet found any evidence that Robertina was in America around those dates. It is strange the Wylie match as well as she had her first child with a Wylie. I have not had my DNA tested so I'm not sure how the results of it all work and come together? I'd love to do it though! My dad might be the better candidate as he is further back in that line and does it need to be the male side anyway?

Jenny xxx
Wilson, Millen, Glass, Wylie - Greenock/Port Glasgow
Belton, Barclay, Barbour, McKenna - Glasgow

Offline dmcp

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
It has been a long time since I have been on this thread, it is interesting that I have an "aunt Ina" who has Nimmo as her middle name.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 24 April 19 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Dcmp,

Have you been having problems accessing your original profile ? If you let me know your old profile I can help you.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennifah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 26 April 19 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi dmcp

Are you kindly able to offer any more info regarding your Aunt Ina to see if there is any link to Robertina Nimmo at all? As ever I am still searching for a photo of her or any new information  ???

Kind regards
Jenny
Wilson, Millen, Glass, Wylie - Greenock/Port Glasgow
Belton, Barclay, Barbour, McKenna - Glasgow

Offline Jeanettepauline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 June 19 08:01 BST (UK) »
Not sure how this works or if I am even putting this message in right place as just new on here. Someone told me about this place as I am looking for my 4times g grandfather ( John Maxwell) so I came across this message about Annie, my gran was Annie Maxwell also but she married into the maxwells she was born in  1883 RENFREWSHIRE. She married John. Probably not the same one though.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 June 19 08:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeanettepauline, and welcome to RootsChat.

We need to work back step by step to get to your 4 times great-grandfather.

If I have understood correctly, your grandfather was John Maxwell, and your grandmother was Annie, born 1883? Where did they marry? Do you have a copy of their marriage certificate?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jeanettepauline

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 June 19 10:41 BST (UK) »
Hi first of all thanks for getting back to me. My Gran was Annie Borland maxwell she married a John Mccoll her dad was John maxwell and his dad was Allan he married grace ray beverage I found his death certificate, it’s says his father was John Maxwell   1791 Renfrewshire Scotland and he married an Annie Borland. That’s who my grandmother was named after. And that’s as far as I got. Ps they moved around a ot between Ayrshire and Renfrewshire. Sorry Annie was my great gran as my gran was Annie also

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 13 June 19 11:51 BST (UK) »
Ah.

I see that Annie B Maxwell and John McColl were married in Blythswood (Glasgow) in 1906, and that Annie died in Renfrew in 1966 aged 83. If that age is accurate, Annie could have been born in 1882 or 1883. Have you actually got her birth certificate?

Allan Maxwell and Grace Beveridge were married in Gorbals parish (Glasgow) on 12 July 1839, and there were two sons, John b 1844 and Robert b 1847. 

I take it that Allan is the one who died in Hamilton in 1894, aged 79? And Grace died in Hamilton in 1902, aged 80.

In 1851 the family were in Glasgow. Allan was aged 36, born in Govan. So if his age is accurate he was born in 1814/1815. With him were his wife Grace, sons John and Robert, and mother-in-law Jean Rea, 54. You can look up a transcription at https://freecen1.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl and you should view the original at Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk to make sure that the transcription is correct.

They were also in Govan in 1841, Allan, 25; Grizel, 20; and Archibald, 20. (Grace and Grizel are interchangeable in Scotland, so if you are looking for a Grace and can't find her, or for a Grizel and can't find her, try the other name.)

There is no record of the marriage of John Maxwell and Anne Borland, but there are baptisms of 8 children: John 1812, Janet 1814, John 1817, Archibald 1822, Esther 1824, James 1827, Anne 1830 and Mary 1834. No record of Allan's baptism but it seems plain enough that he was born in Gorbals, where all his siblings were born.

The 1841 census has a Maxwell household in Govan consisting of John, 50; Ann, 50; James, 13; Ann, 9; and Mary, 7. Adults' ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 years in the 1841 census, so if their ages are accurate John and Ann Sr would both have been born between 1786 and 1791.

In 1861 Annie is listed as a widow, aged 60, born Govan. With her are her daughters Annie, 20 and Mary, 12. This is from a transcription - 12 may be a misreading of 17. Look at the original to make sure.

An Ann Maxwell or Borland died in Hutchesontown (Glasgow) in 1881, aged 90. If she is your Ann Borland, her death certificate should tell you the names of her parents including her mother's maiden surname.

As John obviously died before the start of civil registration in 1855, there will be no death certificate for him. He could be the 60-year-old John Maxwell who died in Gorbals (Glasgow) in May 1854, and it is possible that the burial record might give some indication of where he was born.

Once you have got all the death certificates and checked the originals of the census, come back and tell us what you have learned, and we can see what else we can find.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mvann

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 13 June 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Slightly off topic, but did the david and Elizabeth on the 1881 census have a child called James born 1883? If they did, does anyone know anything about him? The reason I ask is because my great grandma's first husband was a james maxwell, and , apart from the info on 1911 census saying he was born Glasgow, he was living in Birmingham at the time, I have no other information. I don't think it is the james connected to that family, but would like to know for certain

Regards

Jon