Author Topic: Link: Australian Newspapers On-Line  (Read 14058 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Australian Newspapers On-Line
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 August 08 14:36 BST (UK) »
There does seem to be a different attitude in Oz.
The military records where they have been scanned are online.

In the case of the newspapers in UK, the British Library have partnered up with Gale n similar way to the National Archives allows companies to scan records e.g. findmypast and the shipping records.

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 August 08 18:49 BST (UK) »
The Australian attitude to its military records I always find  quite humbling in comparison to the UKs. Like so many others my grandfather's WW1 record has been carefully photographed and is free to view - all 60 pages of it. Here it's £3.50 just to find out what you can have guessed, that someone got their bog standard 2 war medals ...

I do feel that Australia honour their soldiers more than us.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 August 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
The availability of our soldiers records is probably due to Australia's First World War official war correspondent C W Bean. The Australian War Memorial was his idea and he was, I believe, its first Director.

Q98
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 11:07 BST (UK) »
Well, I didn't know that either, Q98!  You're always learning on here!

WWII records haven't been digitised on the site yet - some of these men are still alive.  But you can pay to have your own ancestor's records digitised and put on there.  Not totally cheap, but a good thing to do - keep meaning to do it for my dad.

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 11:54 BST (UK) »
Well, I didn't know that either, Q98!  You're always learning on here!

WWII records haven't been digitised on the site yet - some of these men are still alive.  But you can pay to have your own ancestor's records digitised and put on there.  Not totally cheap, but a good thing to do - keep meaning to do it for my dad.

MarieC

This isn't quite true - I've looked at my mother's boyfriend's WW2 RAAF record. Perhaps his is available because he died in 1970?

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline MarieC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • In Queensland, Oz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 12:05 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, it's right, Carole, because I've looked into it.  Your mother's boyfriend's record and any others that are there, are there because someone has paid for them to be digitised and put there.  Unfortunately they don't check all the veterans to see who has died and put their records up - it would be a massive task - if they did, my Dad's records would be there by now and I wouldn't have to be paying to put them there!!!!

MarieC
Census information is Crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martins in London and Wales, Lockwoods in Yorkshire, Hartleys in London, Lichfield and Brighton, Hubands and Smiths in Ireland, Bentleys in London and Yorkshire, Denhams in Somerset, Scoles in London, Meyers in London, Cooks in Northumberland

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 12:23 BST (UK) »
Two excellent books to read are:
Bean's Gallipoli - The Diaries of Australia's Official War Correspondent, Allen and Unwin, ISBN 978-1-74175-088-1
and
Goodbye Cobber, God Bless You, Pan Macmillan Australia, ISBN
1-4050-3624-9

Goodbye Cobber etc. was immortalized in the Peter Weir movie "Gallipoli". At a location named "The Nek", six hundred Australian Lighthorse men charged, in four waves, across a piece of ground no larger than three tennis courts, armed ONLY with bayonets. The order was "rifles unloaded and uncharged" - no magazine and no round in the breach! "The Nek" was reinforced with artrillery, machine-guns and thousands of Turks.  Each wave of Lighthouse men rose and charged despite seeing what happened to the previous wave. There being so many dead and wounded, running was impossible.

Q98
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 16:40 BST (UK) »
Oh yes, it's right, Carole, because I've looked into it.  Your mother's boyfriend's record and any others that are there, are there because someone has paid for them to be digitised and put there.  Unfortunately they don't check all the veterans to see who has died and put their records up - it would be a massive task - if they did, my Dad's records would be there by now and I wouldn't have to be paying to put them there!!!!

MarieC

Well that's very interesting - I didn't know that and I'm now very curious as to who paid to have it digitalised as he never married and didn't have that much of a family.
I know it took time (not surprisingly) for the WW1 records to be done, and you could request a few a year to be digitalised withou any cost, as my cousin requested his grandfathers records.
I do know my mother's record won't be there as although she was a WRAAF because she joined up in England her records are not kept in Australia.

Carole

Offline Kybama

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 10 September 08 05:32 BST (UK) »
Take a look at what http://www.nambour-chronicle.com is doing. It's an archive of the Nambour Chronicle & North Coast Advertiser first published in 1903.