Author Topic: ADAM Family  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
ADAM Family
« on: Saturday 09 August 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any information available about a JOHN ADAM who possibly was born in Londonderry.
His father would have been WILLIAM ADAM mother MARY SPEIRS. The only proof of his existence so far is that he was the informant on his fathers death certificate. William died in Cork in 1897. I found the death quite by accident.
On the IGI 6 children are listed, 3 born Scotland, Glasgow, 3 Ireland Londonderry. I am presuming John Adam would also have been born in Derry but I have no proof.
The children born in Derry are

Isabella b 1866
William w b 1864
Jane b 1868

Jane is my G Grandmother, I have all her birth details.

I cannot find baptisms etc for the others.

Any information on these or any other ADAM children would be gratefully received.

I have posted for this family before but not asking for this specific information.

Many thanks

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: ADAM Family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 08 13:43 BST (UK) »
2 of the children born in Co. Londonderry (Isabella and William) as born in Londonderry (city) district so it's more than likely the family lived in that area of Co. Derry or even Co. Donegal.
Civil registration of births in Ireland began 1864 so it's possible that John was born before 1864 in Ireland (there is a gap between Mary born 1859 in Scotland and William born 1864 in Londonderry).
Have you found the family in 1861 census in Scotland? That might help narrow down the date they came to Ireland and when John might have been born.
If you don't already have the married of William Adam and Mary Spiers the birth certificates of the children born in Scotland should list date and place of parents' marriage. However, it might be well worth getting birth certificate of Isabella born 1855 from Scotland's People website as the certificate for that year give far more detail than other years (the website will explain what will be found on 1855 births).
Will have a look at birth, marriage, death index for Londonderry Sentinel (1829-1869) in case there's anything for the family. If I find anything will post it here later.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Jax49

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 08 13:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Aghadowey. A very kind gentleman from Scotland has actually done a lot of research into the Adam family in Scotland, he actually did not not know much about the Irish side as I did not know about the Scottish side. We did join forces and between us gained quite a bit about the Family.
The family were still in Scotland in 1861 without William the father, so he may have already been in Ireland and the family joined him later. William had quite a bit of poetry published in a Londonderry paper, the gentleman in Scotland found clippings in his aunties effects.
The puzzle is the family whilst in Ireland.

Many thanks

Jacqui
Bradshaw Tyldesley/Worsley Lancs. RIMMER Liverpool/Birkenhead/Eccles Lancs. Dale Congleton.
Storey Kendal/Eccles. Ryan County Galway Ireland.
O'SULLIVAN Oughterard/ Cornamona County Galway, Ireland. Butler and Burke, Count Galway.  Cowburn Atherton, Manley Worsley. Durban (various spelling) Chilvers Coton Warwickshire. Phidiam/Fidium Worsley.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 08 14:22 BST (UK) »
Just checked Sentinel index but nothing shows up for William's family. There were quite a few people names Adams but only one with the surname listed as Adam and there's also a Scottish connection so will post it here for you on the off chance that if might connect to the family.

Londonderry Sentinel, 15 Mar.1861: On the 14th inst., in the Fourth Presbyterian Church, Derry, by the Rev. Robert Ross, Mr. Robert Gilmour, late of Glasgow, to Miss Mary Adam, daughter of the late Mr. Samuel Adam, Renfrew.

Did find in another index a John Adam born 1870 in Co.Derry but have no further details.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 August 08 22:49 BST (UK) »
do you know the names of their children born in scotland, did wm.& mary marry in scotland.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan