Author Topic: Joseph Thomas  (Read 1698 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Joseph Thomas
« on: Saturday 09 August 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
Joseph Thomas worked for the Great western Railway Company.  He was resident in Brithdir in 1916 where his son Morgan Joseph Thomas was born.  Joseph's wife was Ann and there were two daughters Win & Evelyn but I do not know their d.o.b.

Can some please find Joseph & Ann Thomas on the 1901 census

Regards
Roy

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 09 August 08 16:39 BST (UK) »
Was he definitely married in 1901?

There are 9 Glamorgan 1901 entries for a Joseph Thomas with wife Ann

Have you checked the free PRO 1901 index for possible candidates as it shows occupations alongside the entry

www.1901censusonline.com

Perhaps a copy of Morgans birth cert will help determine their marriage date once Ann's maiden name is known
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 August 08 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Carole
No I don't know that he was married in 1901.  The only clue I can come up with is Joseph Thomas was made Station Master at Usk in 1923 so I would presume his occupation in 1901 would be something along the lines of Railway Clerk.

Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 August 08 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi

Nothing is known re: his birthyear and birthplace etc and he may have still been a scholar on the 1901. Although living in Glamorgan in 1916, his job with the railway may possibly have taken him there although he was b elsewhere

If you find a possible match on the PRO index - post details and I will have a look on the 1901 for you
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tegan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
thomas
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 13:48 BST (UK) »
removed

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 14:29 BST (UK) »
I am sorry but I cannot see any connection.  Best of luck with your research

Regards
Roy

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 08 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

You need to post a new request otherwise it will be overlooked as there is no connection to this post

Offline majorbonkers

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 January 24 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Joe Thomas was my grandfather and I remember him well. He was still living in Usk when he died in 1954. His wife, recorded as Ann in most census returns, was actually registered as Annie Morgans and was born on April 15th 1882 at Gwernllwyna Farm, Deri. She died in a care home in Newport in February 1983, at nearly 101, and was the subject of a big article in the Western Mail.

Joe's parents were indeed Thomas and Ann, who was born Ann Lewis. Her parents were Edmund Lewis and Sarah, nee Morris.

Morgan died in 2005 at the age of 88 (as Cdr. M. J. Thomas, RN (retd), MBE), and his son Keith arranged for a bench to be erected in Usk in his memory. It's by the river, on the footpath known as The Conigar, and you are welcome to go and sit on it.

Win (Winifred) was my mother, born in Brithdir on April 3rd 1919, but except when in Wales, where she was always called Win, she preferred to be known as Ann. She died in Edgware, Middlesex in November 2011, aged 92.

Joe and Ann's youngest child, my Aunt Evelyn, was born (in Usk, I believe) on November 27th 1926, and died after being hit by a coach when crossing a road at Little Mill in 1974, aged 47. Joe, Ann and Evelyn are buried together at Usk Church.

At some time Joe was a Liberal councillor in Usk, so he probably really did, as the song goes, know Lloyd George. He was evidently (according to an Usk history book whose title escapes me) a very popular stationmaster, having replaced one who was not. I do remember walking Downtown (as he referred to Usk) with him when I was little, and everyone we met stopping to say "Good morning, Mr. Thomas!" and then having a chat, making progress rather slow.

I have a lot more details of my Welsh ancestors including most of the possible birth, marriage and death certificates, so if anyone wants to know anything else, please feel free to ask.