Author Topic: Beasley - Help Needed  (Read 1328 times)

Offline julia.julibob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Nanny with her mum Maud Amos/Golby
    • View Profile
Beasley - Help Needed
« on: Saturday 09 August 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
After numerous breakthroughs over the last 3 years, I am asking for help from those more experienced than myself.

My GGG Grandparents were John Beasley and Martha Foreman. The only census I can find them both on is the 1861, living in Rusper, Sussex with their Children Emma, John, Martha, and my GG Grandmother Caroline who is down as Caroline Goby (actually Golby) with her husband Henry.

I have spent all this time trying to find John and Martha before the 1861 census! I have a marriage for Martha Foreman jnr (Beasley) to Matthew Stamp in 1872 and her father, John is listed as deceased and a farm labourer. In the 1861 census he is listed as a hawker. I am almost certain that he was a romany gypsy as the Golby's were, and all the related marriages are romany.

I have Martha (senior) living with children and then in a workhouse on the census' after 1861, but nothing before.

Caroline Beasley was born in Charlwood, Surrey in 1844 (I have her birth certificate), so they should all be on the 1851 census somewhere!

I look forward to seeing what you may come up with.

Julia
DWYER/O'DWYER (Tiperrary, Ireland/Tonbridge, Kent) SHILLING (kent), HIDER/HYDER (Sussex), TOMPSETT (Brenchley), GREEN (Paddock Wood/Capel/Hertford/Essex), AMOS (Surrey/Kent),GOLBY (Surrey/Sussex), LUCAS (Kent/Sussex), LYNE (Lewisham/Catford/Kent), PEACOCK (Sevenoaks/Edenbridge), BRAZIL/BRAZILL/BRAZEILL (Surrey/Kent/Sussex/Cornwall/Hants)

Offline charcsmith

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Beasley - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 24 10:48 BST (UK) »
Caroline Golby is also my 4th gg and I’ve come across the same. All my family are born and raised as Romany gypsies buy the look of things the parents married cousins I think.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 April 24 10:11 BST (UK) »
Have you looked at the Beesley (and variant spellings) entries in the Keith Chandler database to see if there's anything useful there:

https://rtfhs.org.uk/the-keith-chandler-collection-of-romany-and-traveller-biographies/ and scroll down to Beesley
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 April 24 18:07 BST (UK) »
Just thinking out loud, but could Matthew Stamp be Mathew Scamp?
If so, the branch was known as the Ramsgate Scamps. From the Oral List held by Liverpool University I cannot make the dates quite fit; but there is a Matthew Scamp. Father was Raili Scamp b.1845 who married a gaujo (non-traveller); Grandfather was Raili Scamp b. c.1820 d.1903 at Ramsgate who married Mathers (daughter of Jack Mathers and a daughter of Tom Lee). From my own searches of a different section, the list is not complete and not always fully accurate regarding dates. In Wales, some of the Scamps from Devon used Williams to blend in with the locals, and for baptisms I have found Riley being used.