Author Topic: CATTON Death  (Read 9459 times)

Offline chrisliz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: CATTON Death
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 February 11 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Just seen your post on "Joseph Catton".  The Joseph Amos Catton who married Caroline Cutler was my Gt. Grandmother's nephew.  I have a copy of their marriage cert. and a copy of his death cert.   As far as I am aware, he left Caroline, went to London and later died in Camberwell.   The Joseph Catton born in 1826 was Joseph Amos Catton's Uncle who was my Gt. Grandmother's brother.  He died on 5th May 1826.    Joseph Amos's father was an Amos Catton and I think his wife's name was Agnes.  I have an old family Bible with notes written in it by my Gt. Gt. Grandmother (who married ANOTHER Joseph Catton).  Her name was Elizabeth (no maiden name) and she died in 1890 but her husband died in 1855.  My Gt. Grandmother Frances Jane Catton married a Henry Smith and my own mother was a Florence Smith born at The Space in Lane End in 1901.  Unfortunately the Smiths are proving difficult!  Regarding the Cattons, do you by any remote chance know anything more about Elizabeth (Gt. Gt. GM) especially her maiden name?  The Cattons weren't big on variety when choosing names.  To recap:  My Gt Gt Grandfather was Joseph Catton born 1.7.1800, d. 17.3.1855  One of his sons was a Joseph, b. 1826 d.5.5.1892 and the third Joseph was the family "bounder"!, b.1863 d. 9.1.1940.  Love to hear from you.

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 February 11 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello!

Lovely to hear from you.

Caroline Cutler, who married Joseph Amos Catton, was my great-great-grandfather (Reuben Cutler)'s paternal cousin. I am very interested about her life and I have collected lots of information about her, her siblings and her parents.

The version of the Joseph Amos Catton story that I have heard is that...

One day he packed up a cart from Lane End and went without a word, leaving his wife Caroline in Lane End living with her sister Clara. George Henry Ellis, Caroline's brother-in-law, was sent to London to try and coax Joseph back to Lane End. Apparently, when he knocked on Joseph's door, a beautiful woman opened the door and said that she was Mrs Catton. George Ellis left unable to bring Joseph back, and said upon his return (and having seen the beautiful 'Mrs Catton' that he 'could see why Joseph did not wish to return!'

I would be very appreciative of a copy of Joseph's death certificate if you could provide one, and I will scan in the Parish Register entry of Joseph and Caroline's marriage (with their original signatures etc etc).

I don't know if it interests you, but here is a little piece about Caroline's life.

By the time of the 1901 Census, Caroline was living in the home of her sister Clara, her brother-in-law Joseph and the Ellis family: Ralph Rupert, Daisy Clara, Edwin Joseph, Winifred Cutler, Annie Elizabeth, Ethel Ella, and May Ellis.

Joseph died at the Stone Asylum in October 1903 (I have his death cert) and was buried at Lane End with a headstone. However, this has since been removed to facilitate landscaping.

Clara herself died in 1908 (I have her death cert too) of a Sarcoma of the Face and Exhaustion, and her will states that Caroline be the guardian of her children until the last (May Ellis) attain the age of fourteen years of age (ie 1915 ish).

By 1911, the family were living in a lovely house on Marlow Road, Lane End (attached below is a picture from c 1910). It was a new built house at the time, and I have a description of it from a 1911 Valuation Survey:

Brick and Slate, Modern-built house: Hall, 2 Sitting Rooms, Kitchen and Scullery, Four Bedrooms, Boxroom, WC, Garden, Bay [window] and Balcony in front, covered Cartway at side.

I also have two pictures of Caroline, one taken in 1903 and one taken in around 1930.

Caroline still kept close to her Ellis nieces and nephews, and they are mentioned in her obituary. She died on 31 August, 1945, at her home, 'The Rest', Handleton Common, Lane End, aged 84 years. She has an obituary if you would like a copy.

Thank you for the information on the Catton family.

Are you related to Thomas Sysom Catton Smith?

Matt :)

- Added - in the picture below... Caroline's house is on the far left with the balcony. The little shop next door was previously owned by Elizabeth Cutler (Carolines mother) and passed to Clara and Joseph Ellis in Elizabeth's will (1898). I have a picture taken 1903 of the family stood outside the shop.
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chrisliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Matt

I am starting with the end of your post. Yes I am related to Thomas Sysum Catton Smith.  He was my Mother’s father, my Grandfather who died before I was born.  He was one of three children, (Wm Henry and Fanny) who were born to Henry Smith and Frances Jane Catton.  Frances Jane (sometimes written in census as F Jane Catton) was therefore my Gt. Grandmother and George, Joseph, Mary, Thomas and Amos Richard Catton were her siblings.  This means that Thomas Sysum Catton Smith was cousin to Joseph Amos Catton who married Caroline Cutler. Henry Smith, according to my Mother Florence was “born up north and came to Waddesdon and then Lane End to be their first “policeman” (Watchman was the name in those days).  Henry Smith was born in 1824 in Puddington Cheshire and I was always told he died “back up north” – no certificates.

I guess you may have been in contact with Mr Roger Druce of Frieth?  He is the son of the late May Ellis and referred to Caroline as his Aunt.  He sent me a fascinating photo of Caroline perched on a chair at the Wedding of his parents May and Ted Druce in 1928   and a group photo taken outdoors of Caroline Catton with, presumably the Cutler children which she brought up.  These may be the photos you already have.  Let me know and if not, I will post them.  Yes please, I would love a copy of Caroline’s obituary, such an interesting lady even ‘though not a blood relative of mine.  Shame she married the black sheep…..

I will get my Husband to scan in the certified copy of the entry of Joseph Amos Catton’s Death Cert.  I am a little confused, who is the Joseph you said died in Stone Asylum in Oct. 1903 was he the husband of Caroline’s sister Clara? – certainly not Caroline’s husband Joseph Amos Catton.  His date of death is 9th Jan. 1940, aged 78.   Far too many Josephs!  I would be interested to see your copy of the Marriage Cert. of Jo Amos C and Caroline as the Photostat “copy” I have appears mostly to be in the same handwriting.

Having spoken to Betty Twitchen recently and I gather that the Death Registers from Lane End are put on show each year  in Holy Trinity Church on the second Sat. of June which  is Fete day.   I hope to be there.

To get back to the Smiths.  I do not think I have much chance of finding out where my Gt. Grandfather Henry Smith came from as Smith is such a common name and I have no clue to any older members of his family.  His Wife, on the other hand, Frances Jane Catton seems the most likely way of getting further back if only I can learn more about her parents  Joseph and Elizabeth.  If you have any further information on these people or indeed Thomas Sysum Catton Smith I would be most grateful.

Best Wishes,  Liz

Offline chrisliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 22 February 11 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Attached Death Cert Copy for Joseph Catton

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 25 February 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,

From the momennt you sent your first post I wondered if you were related to Thomas Sysom Catton Smith... Betty Twitchen and I have been corresponding for years now and I am off to see her on the 12th March. In her last letter she wrote about you asking her for information.

Re Thomas Sysom Catton Smith... He was baptised at Lane End Wesleyan Church on 6 May 1866, along with three other Wesleyan children.

I have not personally been in contact with Roger Druce, but when Betty wrote to me last she sent me lots of information and photographs of Caroline and the Ellis family passed on from Roger. If you would like me to scan some of it in again I will do so (in my next post).

I would love to have a copy of the photo of Caroline at May and Edwin Druce's wedding... I have not seen it as yet. I have a copy of the group photo, however. In my next post (hopefully today) I will post Caroline's marriage certificate from the Parish Registers, obituary, and photographs. Joseph who died at Stone Asylum in Oct 1903 was Joseph Ellis - husband of Clara Cutler, Caroline's sister.

Yes the Burial Registers (1880 onwards) from Lane End are put on display every fete day in Lane End... I hope to be there too... I have gone the past two years also, and there are transcripts of the Parish Registers also on show, along with the original books held and the Graveyard Survey along with Monumental Inscriptions. It would be lovely to meet you, along with Betty, if you would like to.

I am afraid I do not have any more information about the Smiths of Lane End, other than what can be gleaned from the Parish REgister disc I have.

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 February 11 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Attached are the marriage cert and obituary.

Death cert and photos to come.

Matt

Offline chrisliz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 February 11 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Caroline Catton in 1928 at the wedding of May & Ted Druce.
Parents of Roger Druce.

Thanks for Marriage Certs.

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 March 11 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the photograph, and I do apologise for not replying sooner. I will tonight post Caroline Catton's death Certificate and some photographs, I have put a reminder on my hand  :) Will do so as soon as I get in from school.

Matt

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 04 March 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for late reply, herewith attached is Caroline Catton's death certificate and a photograph taken in about 1928ish stood outside her niece's shop on Church Road, Lane End.

I am going to Lane End next Saturday and am hopefully meeting the Druce's and Peter Ellis, who is great-grandson of Rebecca Cutler, Caroline's sister.

Will let you know of any new information.

Moderator comment amended post

'Certificate and census layout is Crown Copyright, the information contained therein is not. You may quote the information, design your own certificates, pass information on etc, but you may not photocopy, digitise or display the original documents. A photocopy image may be sent via email to family or other related individuals but you may not display images on a website.'
Attachments that can be allowed on Rootschat are a part of the certificate to enable help in deciphering wording.