Author Topic: Carey baptisms  (Read 2894 times)

Offline careylp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carey baptisms
« on: Sunday 10 August 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
Look up please for Carey family baptisms in Lawford Essex 1844 -1858.  Also Carey family baptisms Clacton Essex 1810 -1822

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Carey baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 August 08 19:20 BST (UK) »
You could search the free bmd for the years 1844 - 1858.

1810 - 1822 would be covered by the IGI but you would need christian names   otherwise you cannot search just the years you require.
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 August 08 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am going to the Essex Records Office next Tuesday and will be delving into the Lawford Parish Records there as I have a family interest in Lawford (Aylward).  The time span you mention is not that huge and records for the period will be very readable on the microfiches.  If you can give me some more detail rather than just the surname 'Carey' I may be able to help?

dawlc

Offline careylp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 August 08 14:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  I do infact have 8 children born then to Thomas and Mary Carey.  It is really the father Thomas's christening I would like to know more of if possible, he was born c1818 in Clacton to James, there is also a James Carey born c1813, William Carey born c1815 and John Carey born c1820 all in Clacton and I hope that they may all be related but without the parish records I am unable to prove it, also I do not know the mothers name. 
Thomas married Mary in 1842 at Lawford parish church, I have the cert.
James marriage to Ann Day was registered in Tendring Dec qtr 1837 and Johns  marriage to Mary Ann Banbury or Durrant was registered Tendring Dec qtr 1840, these may have been at Lawford parish church. If you can help in anyway I would appreciate it.

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 11 August 08 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'll print off the information you have given and take it with me.  The Lawford weddings will be easy to look for as you have given the quarter they were married in.  Lawford only has one church (St. Mary's) but of course Tendering would have covered other parishes.  If time I will look at Clacton as you have narrowed the period time down to a 7 year spell.  Hopefully there may just be one parish church to look at and more importantly the microfiches will be readable for that period!  Will be in touch.

Regards
Deborah

Offline careylp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 11 August 08 18:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I notice some Aylwards lived in Wignall Street the same as my Carey's.

Valerie

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 11 August 08 19:53 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes they are my Aylwards!  My connection is with a William & Hannah Aylward and their family.  I believe on the Census of 1841 there is a John & Mary Aylward and I think they were William's parents but I have been able to source that yet - hence another visit to the ERO!

Regards.
Deborah.

Offline careylp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 August 08 21:47 BST (UK) »
William and Hannah lived next door to John Kerry/Carey on the 1851, small world.
Valerie

Offline dawlc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Carey Weddings
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Valerie

As promised I visited the ERO today.  Unfortunately the baptismal records for Clacton are only available on microfiche from the early 1900s forward so I couldn't look for your Carey 1800 baptisms.  I'm not sure where the earlier records are, you could always email the ERO and they would be able to help I'm sure. 

As to Lawford Weddings; I found the wedding easily of James Carey.  He married at St. Mary's Church, Lawford on 29 Oct 1837.  However, his surname was clearly recorded as KERRY obviously a Rector who couldn't spell followed by the bride and groom who were (of their time) illiterate.  James married Ann DAY of Manningtree.  James was a labourer and both were of full age i.e. over 21 when they married.  James' father was another James KERRY (a gardener) and Ann's father was a Benjamin DAY (carpenter). 

I couldn't find the marriage of John Carey at St. Mary's for the quarter and year given (Dec 1840).  I couldn't see them in the BANNS either which was unfortunate because that would have given me the parish of his spouse if she didn't hail from Lawford.  Obviously Tendering covered churches in Mistley and Manningtree and I'm not sure where else?  As it is 1840 you can easily order a copy of the MC from the ONS for £7 that would give you the info you need.

Sorry there is not greater detail here but if you need any more info from Essex parishes just let me know - I'm sure I'll be back there again in the not too distant future.

Deborah