Author Topic: Walton in Byley  (Read 2758 times)

Offline shammy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Walton in Byley
« on: Tuesday 12 August 08 18:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm stuck with a William Walton born 1855 in Byley Cum Yatehouse. I have his birth cert which gives the mother as Sarah Walton but no father. Anyone any ideas where I go now?

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Walton in Byley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Can you tell us anything else you know about William - who he married and who his children were

There is no William Walton with that birthplace on the 1861/71/81 census but Sarah may have married and he is shown under her new married name

Byley cum Yatehouse came under the Northwich registration district so he may be using a different birthplace on census returns
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline shammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have him in 1881 in Ashton under Lyne, he lists birthplace as Middlewich. He married Emma Hollick in 1882 but no father on the marriage cert. I can't find him in 61/71 the only Sarah Walton I found was 1841 in Newton with John and Elizabeth Walton, they move to Byley in 51/61 but no Sarah or William. Not sure if they are related to each other, could be Williams grandparents but I can't prove it. I'm stuck with where to go next.
thanks for any help you can give
Jeff

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 August 08 21:36 BST (UK) »
The only William Walton with a mother Sarah on the 1871 was b Altrincham and father was Richard.  I tracked the family back and this couple married in 1852.

I have checked Sarah Walton marriages in Cheshire 1855-1860 and the one that is my favourite is to Cornelius Sims in the December qtr 1857 Northwich 8A 292

The marriage is also on Cheshire BMD and was at St Wilfrids in Davenham

Problem is - I cannot find them on the 1861 census to check if William is with them!!

the only Sarah Walton I found was 1841 in Newton with John and Elizabeth Walton

There are a number of Sarah Walton's in Cheshire who were old enough to have had a son in 1855 but it does seem coincidental that the Newton family you found moved to Byley after 1841

There are only 110 1851 entries for Byley and they are the only Walton family living there

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 08:28 BST (UK) »
A full transcription of the Sarah Walton / Cornelius Sims marriage is available at:
http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~cprdb/

It took place 29 Dec 1857, her father is David, a farmer, and the witnesses were Emanuel Walton and Elizabeth Walton.

It states that Sarah's residence was Rudheath Lordship and she was aged 28 (Cornelius was 19 and residence Middlewich!).

Jean
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
DBY: Higginbottom(Mellor)
HRT: Gurney
HRT/BED/ESS: Verney (Markyate St)
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)
NTH: Tubb/Johnson(Hellidon)Brown(Kettering)
YKS: Scott(Clapham)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 08:42 BST (UK) »
I think I have them in 1871 at Union Street,  Haughton, Lancashire (RG10 4079/117 Page 25):

Cornelius SIMS, Head, Mar, 36, Labourer at Coal pit born Cheshire Marton
Sarah SIMS, Wife, Mar, 40, born Middlewich
William Thomas SIMS, Son, 15, Waggoner at Coal pit born Middlewich
George SIMS, Son, 12 born Middlewich
Mary Ellen SIMS, Dau, 11 born Middlewich
Ann SIMS, dau, 9 born Middlewich
Alfred SIMS, Son, 7 born Middlewich
Harriet SIMS, Dau, 4 born Staffordshire
Sarah Elizabeth SIMS, Dau, 2 born Lancashire Haughton

Jean

CHS: Barber(Tabley) Barlow(Antrobus) Blackshaw(Lymm, Mobberley) Blease/Done/Moore(G Bud) Owen(Netherton, Tabley) Spragg/Witter(Goostrey) Youd(Frodsham) Pennell Bankes Birchall Beckett
LAN: Davenport(Bolton) Schofield/Gurney(Oldham) Lord(Heap) Quinn(Manchester) Sutcliffe(Rossendale)

Offline JDGen

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 08:45 BST (UK) »
Which leads me to this in 1861 at Pigeon Row, Newton, Middlewich (RG9 2607/21 Page 3)

Richard SIMMS, Head, Mar, 24, Ag Lab born Marton
Sarah SIMMS, Wife, Mar, 31 born Middlewich
George SIMMS, Son, 2 born Yatehouse Green
Mary Ellen SIMMS, Dau, 11m, born Stockport

I think it is the same family, but no William.

Jean

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

I think the 1861 and 1871 entries are the same family but why Richard in 1861?

Per IGI

CORNELIUS SIMS  Christening:  10 NOV 1833   Marton By Congleton, Cheshire
Father:  DAVID THORLEY    Mother:  HARRIET SIMS 

her father is David, a farmer

The marriage entry shows brides father as John and grooms as David

Offline shammy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 13 August 08 12:17 BST (UK) »
Wow....you don't mess about. I really can't thank you enough as I've struggled with this for over a year and just keep hitting dead ends.
 I stayed up late last night and found the same with the 1861/71 census, Mary Ellen's birth has Walton as the mothers maiden name so Richard and Cornelius must be the same guy also found Sarah Sims - widow - 1881 census Stockport Rd Werneth. There's a death for Cornelius 1880 Stockport with the right age.
Its definitely the right William in Union St, he must have changed his name back to Walton after 1880 - his marriage cert has him as William Thomas but only William on the birth. I think Cornelius wasn't the father, any ideas how I find the real father??
I've looked on the Cheshire BMD site and found the marriage but can't find witness or father's names, could you let me know where to look, I was hoping her parents were John and Elizabeth of Byley/Newton. In 1841 they have an Emanuel and Elizabeth also a Sarah.
Thanks again for all your help
Jeff